• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What were your favorite childhood video games?

xSuperMario64x

Canadian at heart 💜🇨🇦
Peach 🍑
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8558-0128-9692
Island
He/him
Green Bunny Balloon
Cyan Bunny Balloon
Snow Bunny
Fresh Feather
Cool Feather
In other words, what did you spend most of your childhood playing?

When I was really young, I played SM64 and SMB3 a lot, since we had an N64 and our neighbor had an NES.

When I was around 4, my mom gave our N64 to someone else, so I started playing our PS2. From there, some of my favorite childhood games include Spyro 2 and 3, Spongebob ROTFD, Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom, and Petz Catz 2.

Back in 2011 I got a NES, SNES, and N64, and from there along with a multitude of other game consoles, my favorite games were SM64, SMW, Mario Party 1, and SMG2.

Overall, my favorite childhood games are SM64, Mario Party 1, SMW, Spongebob BFBB, Spyro 3, and Petz Cats 2.

Nintendogs, Yoshi's Island, Mario Kart Wii, Mario Galaxy, Paper Mario, and The Legend of Zelda the Wind Waker!~

Spyro: Year of the Dragon and Season of Ice/Flame and that GBA Rhynoc game. Pretty much any Spyro before they started that ANB trash and onward.

And yeah RollerCoaster Tycoon 1/2. 3 pretty much sucked hard /at least the version I had, idk if it was any beta/prototype **** though./

Wario Land 3, Pok?mon Red, Pong... And Midtown Madness.. 3 I think <3

Sega Master System:
Alex Kidd & the Lost STars

Sega Genesis:
Sonic the Hedgehog
Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles
Contra Hard Corps
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sparkster
Vektorman

SNES:
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

PSX:
Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex Strikes Back

Sega Game Gear:
Sonic Chaos
Sonic Triple Trouble
Tails' Adventure

Game Boy Color:
Pokemon Yellow
Wario Land
Wario Land II
Wario Land 3
Metroid II: Return of Samus

Game Boy Advance:
Metroid Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission

There's probably several others but I can't remember them at this time. Will update as I remember.

My first games (that I can remember) were Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda for the NES. I remember liking Zelda more than Mario. I pretty much knew every secret there was in Zelda at the age of 7 or 8.

Zelda II was pretty great too. My best friend had a copy that must have been broken because it would glitch like crazy some times. Our favorite was when Link started moving super fast. We used to say that he was rollerskating. Another cool one was when we got the raft in Parapa Palace. Good times.

Another game I always liked was Kid Icarus for the NES. I loved the music by Hip Tanaka (I still consider him my favorite video game composer) and the visual style but I found the game to be too hard as a kid. Never got past level 1-3 back in the day.

My first RPG was Phantasy Star for the SEGA Master System. It was too complex for me to fully enjoy at the time but I could appreciate the beautiful visuals and atmosphere in the game. Finding a new cave to explore was really exciting even though I would just end up walking around aimlessly until i died. I didn't have the patience to grind so I was always underleveled.

I also liked Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (Yes, they were called heroes over here since the word ninja was banned) because, well, it was Turtles. Every kid back then loved Turtles. Looking back I can honestly say that the first game for the NES sucked hard, but hey, it was Turtles. They slapped those green dudes on everything back then and we bought it.

a lot

mouse attack/squeak squad
power paintbrush/canvas curse
super star ultra
pokemon diamond and pearl
croc
spyro
rayman 3
new super mario bros
mario galaxy 1 + 2
mario 64 ds
mario kart wii
mario kart ds
zelda four swords anniversary
super smash bros brawl
warioware touched
pokemon mystery dungeon blue rescue team + explorers of time
mario & luigi partners in time

- - - Post Merge - - -

not my faves but i also played a lot of rayman 1, kirby's dreamland, pokemon red, nintendogs, cooking mama, sonic 3 and super mario bros 2

Last edited:
The Sims 1 and 2 on Xbox
Marvel Nemsis: Rise of the Imperfects
Crash Bandicoot: Wrath of Cortex
Adventures of Spyro ( i can't remember the full name)
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on GBA
The Winx Club on DS
The Sims Bustin' Out and The Sims 2, The Sims Castaway on DS and GBA

I loved a lot of the Super Nintendo series. I loved Donkey Kong Country the most. Then there's Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, The Illusion of Gaia, Final Fantasy 6 (eventhough it was ported as Final Fantasy 3 in the US). I loved Super Mario RPG, Kirby Legend of the Super Star.

For the N64 I liked Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mario Party and Mario Tennis.

I had the Sega Genesis, so I played a lot of Sonic games as well.

JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOO

Lol Jet Set Radio was my first Xbox original game. Me and my siblings fell in love with it.

That and there was Conker's Bad Fur Day (64), Megaman X (SuperNin), Pokemon ofc (gboy), Banjo Kazooie (64) <3 Toejam and Earl 3 (Xbox), Mario 64, Mario kart and a crapton of others. Heh

Last edited:
Super Street Fighter II, Chrono Trigger, Donkey Kong Country 1, 2 and 3, Super Mario Kart, Tekken 2 and 3

Super Mario World 2

Mario kart 64. I remember i was playing it with my grandmother and she is still good lol.

My favorite games from my childhood would probably have to be the following:

Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Pokemon Crystal
Streets of Rage and Streets of Rage 2
Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2, and Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention
EarthBound

Zombies Ate My Neighbors: I've always been a fan of horror movies, ghost stories, and creepy stuff in general. Zombies Ate My Neighbors is a love letter to and parody of horror movies and features zombies, vampires, werewolves, mummies, evil dolls (like Chucky from the Child's Play series), clones of the player characters (Invasion of the Body Snatchers), blobs, giant ants (Them!), aliens, and more as enemies. Zeke (the male player character) has a great design with the 3D glasses and spiky hair that brings me back to the 90s just looking at it. It's a very fun and challenging game to complete.

Pokemon Crystal: I was fortunate enough to be alive when Pokemon first debuted in the US and was a big fan as soon as I got into it. Crystal was my favorite Pokemon game for a number of years because of the introduction of the female protagonist to the series with Kris, because the newly introduced Pokemon themselves and especially the starters were fantastic, and because I very much enjoyed Johto and the fact that you could journey back to Kanto after the main story and take on a second region in the same game with the same team. It has since been replaced as my favorite in the series because of all of the positive changes made to the series over the years, but it will always have a special place in my heart.

Streets of Rage/Streets of Rage 2: I've always found side-scrolling beat-'em-up's to be entertaining to play and the Streets of Rage games were my favorites of the ones I had the opportunity to play growing up. I enjoy them both about equally and they both have great soundtracks. I didn't get around to playing the 3rd game until I was grown up and didn't like it nearly as much as the other two, but I'm still fond of the series and like to play 2 periodically.

Mortal Kombat/Mortal Kombat 2/Mortal Kombat Trilogy: The original Mortal Kombat was one of, if not the first video games I played and I'm grateful for it. It made me a lifelong fan of fighting games and its story and mythos, as barebones as it was, struck a chord somewhere in my mind and expanded my imagination. Mortal Kombat 2 had a great atmosphere and I liked the newly introduced characters. Mortal Kombat Trilogy was a big hit for me because it allowed me to play as every character from the series up to that time, including the bosses, and I thought that was just the best thing.

Shining Force: The Legacy of Great Intention: This was my first exposure to turn-based tactical RPGs and laid the groundwork for Fire Emblem to eventually become my favorite series of video games once I discovered it in my adulthood. Not a whole lot to say about it, I just loved the gameplay, the character designs, and the music.

EarthBound: I never actually played it until I was older, but I saw my brother playing it and really enjoyed the game. It stuck with me for years even though I hadn't experienced it directly, and when I finally played it myself I enjoyed it as much as I did watching it all the years prior. The EarthBound/Mother series is definitely among my favorite series of video games.

There are probably other games that could be listed here and that I might add later, but these are the ones that most readily come to mind.

Star Fox, Mortal Kombat (mostly the original), Street Fighter, Tekken, Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon (specifically gen 1-3), Tetris (I named my cat after it), Yugioh (I was like 8, okay?), Spyro, Donkey Kong, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Rayman, Kirby, Sonic, Crash Bandicoot, Cooking Mama, Castlevania, and Nintendogs.

I'm surprised I ever went outside after listing all this :U

Last edited:
Super Mario World! - I played that game over and over as a kid.
Also loved playing Super Empire Strikes Back and Super Return of the Jedi for SNES.

Later on came Super Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of Time :)

the sims, maplestory (sometimes i still play now), ac:ww, spyro & crash bandicoot!

Until about the time I graduated high school, Pokemon and Kingdom Hearts were the only games I ever played. Plus a little bit of the Sims. Looking back, I wish I had branched out sooner!

I would play pretty much all of the Sonic games on Sega Genesis. My favorite one was Sonic 3 because my brother and I could play together as Sonic and Tails. I was usually the invincible side kick because he was always better at it. That way we could get to later levels easier.

I also liked a lot of the N64 games like Mario 64, Mario Kart, Banjo Kazooie, and Bomberman the Second Attack. Also Gameboy Color was the first system I bought for myself for Pok?mon Yellow. Except I didn't really understand switching and type match ups that well at the time so my Pikachu ended up being like 30 levels higher than the rest of my team. lol

Last edited:
Back