• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Critique My Art?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madii

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
ど
Hello!
I just finished a digital piece which I'm quite proud of, except for the female anatomy I could really use constructive criticism and even a few compliments about it.

If you want to critique it please include:
0-10 Anatomy Score:
0-10 Landscape Score:
Ways to improve:
Any good things? (If there are):

tumblr_oxhexihstf1wdek1zo1_1280.png
tumblr_oxhexihstf1wdek1zo2_1280.png
tumblr_oxhexihstf1wdek1zo3_1280.png

use less circle and line tools makes it look cheap and make the elbows less sharp and more rounded. the duck and bear are cute though

Last edited:
0-10 Anatomy Score: 4 (It's good but you really need to improve with body shape
0-10 Landscape Score: 6 Not much detail but it's a good background
Ways to improve: Use a base, get a photo and draw over it like all the joints and stuff
Any good things? (If there are): I love the villagers and the sun and clouds and the female person is pretty good except for anatomy

use less circle and line tools makes it look cheap and make the elbows less sharp and more rounded the duck and bear are cute though

I don't use circle or line tools except for the brick wall, It was meant to look sharp so it doesn't look noodley Thanks for the feedback though.

- - - Post Merge - - -

0-10 Anatomy Score: 4 (It's good but you really need to improve with body shape
0-10 Landscape Score: 6 Not much detail but it's a good background
Ways to improve: Use a base, get a photo and draw over it like all the joints and stuff
Any good things? (If there are): I love the villagers and the sun and clouds and the female person is pretty good except for anatomy

Thank you so much for the feedback ❤️

Hi! Disclaimer though, if you're really proud of your art piece but another person doesn't like it, don't let that bring you down. Every artist starts off somewhere. Also Scoot is so adorbs <3

0-10 Anatomy Score: 7/10
0-10 Landscape Score: 9/10
Ways to improve: The upper body could use some work, specifically the torso and shoulders. Since you wanted to work on your female anatomy, you do know that they have more defined torsos? (If that makes any sense) The shoulders are too horizontal. you want to slant the shoulder line down, if you are doing a relaxed position, and for ladies, the shoulders are a tiny bit more pointier than men shoulders. The right arm (if looking in the perspective of the way the girl is facing) is a little wonky. You have the arm length pretty spot on but the elbow is too low. It makes the forearm too short and the other part too long. Maybe just raise the elbow up and also the forearm is too symmetrical and skinny. Try looking at your own arms for reference (works for both males and females). And I'm wondering why you didn't use lineart for the boots?
Any good things? (If there are): Scoot. The girl's knees. Your villagers are probably the thing that pops out to me the most.

Last edited:
Hi! Disclaimer though, if you're really proud of your art piece but another person doesn't like it, don't let that bring you down. Every artist starts off somewhere. Also Scoot is so adorbs <3

0-10 Anatomy Score: 7/10
0-10 Landscape Score: 9/10
Ways to improve: The upper body could use some work, specifically the torso and shoulders. Since you wanted to work on your female anatomy, you do know that they have more defined torsos? (If that makes any sense) The shoulders are too horizontal. you want to slant the shoulder line down, if you are doing a relaxed position, and for ladies, the shoulders are a tiny bit more pointier than men shoulders. The right arm (if looking in the perspective of the way the girl is facing) is a little wonky. You have the arm length pretty spot on but the elbow is too low. It makes the forearm too short and the other part too long. Maybe just raise the elbow up and also the forearm is too symmetrical and skinny. Try looking at your own arms for reference (works for both males and females). And I'm wondering why you didn't use lineart for the boots?
Any good things? (If there are): Scoot. The girl's knees. Your villagers are probably the thing that pops out to me the most.

Thank you so much for the feedback! ❤️

I'll go ahead and critique your work, since I like when peeps do the same for me :blush:

0-10 Anatomy Score:
5/10

0-10 Landscape Score:
4/10

Ways to improve:
I'll start off with the anatomy. It looks pretty good but the proportioning is off. For example, the arms seem to taper down to the wrist so the hands appear to be very small, and the shoulders are a bit too flat coming from the base of the neck instead of curving from the base of the head. A good way to improve that skill would be to look at and study drawings that other people have made of human anatomy, that way you can see how the overall form works in different contexts. Also, it would be good to use/practice a gestural drawing (like these) to help you get the overall form to be more proportional.

Next, I'll talk about the landscape. It has a nice, cartoon style to it, but there are a few things that don't seem right. For instance, the top of the tree looks transparent (as in, I can see where the trunk stops), and a good way to fix that would be to simply use a tool that doesn't make it look transparent (like a generic brush tool). The bridge in the background looks very flat, and so do the flowers. This can be helped by studying pictures of flowers and bridges, in the same way you would study anatomy. This will help you get a better understanding of the depth and form of these types of objects in a drawing. The clouds look okay, and so does the Sun in the sky, but as with the trees, they might look better if they weren't drawn with a transparent brush tool.

I like how you drew the villagers. They look very much like they do in the game, and have a nice feel to them.

Hope this helps! If you need some cartoon references that you'd like to study you can always check out my art in these folders: [x] [x] [x] [x]

I'll go ahead and critique your work, since I like when peeps do the same for me :blush:

0-10 Anatomy Score:
5/10

0-10 Landscape Score:
4/10

Ways to improve:
I'll start off with the anatomy. It looks pretty good but the proportioning is off. For example, the arms seem to taper down to the wrist so the hands appear to be very small, and the shoulders are a bit too flat coming from the base of the neck instead of curving from the base of the head. A good way to improve that skill would be to look at and study drawings that other people have made of human anatomy, that way you can see how the overall form works in different contexts. Also, it would be good to use/practice a gestural drawing (like these) to help you get the overall form to be more proportional.

Next, I'll talk about the landscape. It has a nice, cartoon style to it, but there are a few things that don't seem right. For instance, the top of the tree looks transparent (as in, I can see where the trunk stops), and a good way to fix that would be to simply use a tool that doesn't make it look transparent (like a generic brush tool). The bridge in the background looks very flat, and so do the flowers. This can be helped by studying pictures of flowers and bridges, in the same way you would study anatomy. This will help you get a better understanding of the depth and form of these types of objects in a drawing. The clouds look okay, and so does the Sun in the sky, but as with the trees, they might look better if they weren't drawn with a transparent brush tool.

I like how you drew the villagers. They look very much like they do in the game, and have a nice feel to them.

Hope this helps! If you need some cartoon references that you'd like to study you can always check out my art in these folders: [x] [x] [x] [x]

Thanks for the feedback ❤️ Also I have been studying the human, male and, female anatomy and I did have a lot of reference pictures to help me.

EDIT: also the tree was transparent to show the tree trunk through the centre because realistically you can't see a teee fully bushed up not showing the trunk because of all of the leaves and it doesn't cover it completely, so I got lazy and just did it transparent then just drawing leaves by myself

Last edited:
0-10 Anatomy Score: 4/10
0-10 Landscape Score: 6/10
Ways to improve: The anatomy is the thing I'm most concerned on. The body is a bit too tall (which causes the arms to be too long), the elbows are pointy, and the face shape isn't very well. The facial features and bangs could be placed more close together, but they're probably only far from eachother because of how long the face is. I'd say you try learning from anatomy tutorials and see what they do. Videos help me a lot more than written tutorials but that depends on what kind of learner you are.

I also noticed that the lines are quite scratchy. Try to make sure they're smooth and straight. Try adding more shading and colour variants to make it look more detailed.

Now, I really really do recommend you use tutorials as much as you can to improve your art. Practice as much as you can with different techniques and see what you like best. Don't try to push yourself either, art takes time and practice, everyone reaches their perfection level at a different pace :)

Any good things? (If there are): I think the villagers are sooo cute! The brick wall is also very well done! The landscaping could use a bit more work but honestly those villagers are too cute.

Last edited:
Anatomy: 4-6/10 (somewhere in this range)

- Your general anatomy could use practice. The body looks as if it's a triangle; it get's small at the feet but the head and shoulders are big. The elbow on one arm is pointy, whereas the other arm is noodle-like. The hands are incorrectly placed, and yes hands are hard. I struggle with the hands as well. Also, the position she is in looks off.

Landscape: 5/10

- Depth perception. Far things are smaller. Also, the general angle things needs improvement.

Things that are good:

-The duck (Scoot? Forgot name)
-The background colors.

Tysm for the feedback

- - - Post Merge - - -

Also how do I close a thread? ❤️ It won't give me an option xD

i don't think you can close a thread in the museum. just edit your title to say 'CLOSED' or something.

tumblr_oxk6ikcG4a1u5h0x1o1_1280.png

Ok for me I don't work well on /10 ratings, so I just decided to try show what looks wrong. The red lines over your own drawing are trying to bulk out where her body parts are. Immediately the legs are far too small for the body. On the right I've redrawn the image twice... why twice? because in your drawing you have two perspectives. For her legs to turn this way off her body... well its very odd looking. So the big image is a head on view, using foreshortening on the upper legs (ie they are not visible) to show the legs are bent over the wall, I'd add more detail here, showing the skirt creasing over the legs etc, to show exactly whats happening. Basically even if a pose is hard to figure out from one perspective, that doesn't mean you can selectively change perspective on some body parts, it will just look odd when you do. The other image is a 3/4th view - which I'll admit has mistakes in my correction, I'm just a bit short on time... but you get the idea. Your legs look like the second image I drew, BUT the body looks like the head on view- does this make sense? The whole image has to be the same perspective.

I'd say if you can, use refs when drawing, this'll make it easier. Also don't shy away from drawing hands! Your hand irl is nearly as big as your face, they're pretty big! Don't worry about them looking goofy, hands take a lot of effort to get right, but getting them the right size is a good goal. In your picture the forehead is also very small, and this looks a bit strange. You're not far off though! I know with this anime style the eyes WILL be big, but that doesn't mean the get to cut into the forehead.

Your arms are actually close to be the right size! However, look at it your self using your hand, the legs are pretty much HALF the size of the arms... now if your legs were half the size of your amrs irl, you'd have a pretty hard time getting around right? The body is a little long though. Since the body needs to be a little shorter, the arms also need to be shorter, but you understand where the arms go in relation to the hips anyway, so this will be easy for you to figure out.

Hope that helped a little, sorry if I was rude at all :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back