• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Wild World worth picking up for someone who has never played?

i was generally pretty late to the party and got NL and WW at the same time... after playing NL i couldnt really get into WW, it just seemed very outdated and the controls are different so it irritated me a lot. its probably still a nice game, limited and doesnt have wifi support anymore but if you can get it for cheap (i got mine second hand for the equivalent of idk, maybe 4$) it should be fine!!

If you are interested in Wild World, get City Folk instead. It is basically Wild World, but better in almost every way. Wild World was an exceptional game for its time, but it has definitely aged the worst out of the main series games. Even City Folk is kind of lackluster now that New Leaf was released, but it still has a fair amount of unique content.

I guess if you simply want to collect every game, then Wild World will be worth it to you. If you are not particularly concerned with collecting, then I would suggest against buying it.

My first AC game was New leaf and it ruined Wild World for me. Unless you want to play it for your nostalgia or for your collection then I wouldn’t recommend it for you. Also, it’s kinda expensive, it costed me 27 bucks for a used Wild world!

Last edited:
i've not played it either but i think i might! the villagers dialogue seem really funny and i'd love to see what its like to have those long lectures from resetti and tortimer as mayor :)

If you can find it nice and cheap then definitely go for it! I put so many hours into this game when i was younger it was honestly what got me hooked into the animal crossing series!! Definitely worth a play through :) but you'll probably come back to new leaf just for all the new features that make it so much better.

For someone who's first AC Game was NL, not really. I mean it's fun to complete the museum and get a perfect town but CF beats it in nearly every way, with better graphics, quality and has more content. I would recommend CF more, but I think you should pick it up.

thread posted in 2017 and ppl still giving advice abt whether he should buy it or not, such is tbt

I would very much recommend City Folk if they wouldn't want to start with New Leaf. It's a great game, wild world, but better.
Also the City looks amazing, it's really amazing in my opinion! I've spent way too much time playing it.

As an introduction to Animal Crossing, I'd say Wild World does a great job in that regard-- though I'll admit that I'm probably a little biased. It's great for nostalgia as well, but it is found wanting when compared to the other titles. Still, I guess it all boils down to personal perspective.

I'm one of the people who played New Leaf first and then played Wild World later on, it had it's pros and cons. A lot of features were missing that made the game kind of frustrating and sometimes more directionless feeling (something which can both be a pro and a con depending on what kind of gameplay you want), but I also enjoyed the more pixelated aesthetic along with the fact that the animals are way more dramatic and snarky than in New Leaf.

If you want different dialogue from your fav neighbors, but that's it. I have nostalgia from Wild Word but it isn't worth it. Especially if you wanna play online because... no more online lol. My brother told me New Leaf lacked that "animal crossing feeling" that Wild World which I don't understand. New Leaf has everything and is superior in every way except better hourly music.

Yeah, talking to the villagers is more fun in that game and the acorn festival!! Otherwise, its aged pretty badly, despite how much I loved that game growing up. It's so blurry to go back to bow.

Back