• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is Wild World worth picking up for someone who has never played?

SmokeyScout

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
So, I've never played Wild World. New Leaf was my first animal crossing game, but I hear so many people talk about the fond memories they've had with WW. So I'm just curious on whether it is worth it to pick up WW and play it. I know that the graphics won't be like New Leaf, but that doesn't bother me. Does it still hold a fun replay value?

Imo, not in comparison to new leaf. There aren't really many holidays and not much to do. I'd recommend the GC/Wii versions though.

Last edited:
I'd agree with the above poster. City Folk is pretty good but Wild World is incredibly limited in terms of holidays, events... just things to do in general. Also you wouldn't be able to use the WiFi stuff at all so that would also stop you from accessing some things, such as Shampoodle's and the top level Nook store.

I was addicted when it first came out, so for nostalgic purposes I would play again. But for someone who's only played New Leaf then it might seem be kinda lame haha. However, I think the villager's dialogue and the fishing/bug catching puns were really good lol. :) We are definitely spoiled by New Leaf.

The one for the gamecube is really good. I want to get it again I miss playing it.

I picked up a new copy of it second-hand a few months ago for nostalgia, but that was the only reason why. Compared to City Folk and New Leaf it's become incredibly redundant and not that great of a game, especially since it's so limited in holidays and the graphics are pretty bad, so the only real reason I could imagine somebody getting it now would be just for the memories.

Not really. The villager dialogue is great compared to New Leaf, but other than that and some of the events, I'd only get it for nostalgia purposes. The Gamecube version has lots of features that never made it to other games, and City Folk is a polished WW, so I'd get one of those two instead.

Despite everyone saying the graphics are horrible, I handled them just fine, and thought they were amazing for their time(this was an early DS game from 2005).

Last edited:
I agree with others, I think if you've play New Leaf before Wild World, Wild World will seem super boring!

the old games are mostly loved because of nostalgia, new leaf has a lot more things to do than any of the earlier games imo

Wild World is the one I have the most memories with, but it's boring as hell compared to today's standards. Instead of playing WW, play City Folk/Let's Go To The City or the Gamecube version. They're miles better than Wild World.

i recently bought WW and played it for about 5 minutes, it's terrible in comparison to new leaf graphics wise. it's weird because i can never remember it looking that bad haha
i mainly got it because it was cheap and i lost my original copy and wanted one to replace it in my collection, but i'd say if you have no nostalgia attached to the game then there are plenty of other sequels you could get your hands on

Last edited:
this might be a repeat of what people have said but yeah, WW would be incredibly underwhelming for someone who's started with new leaf. It sounds strange but definitely I'd recommend the gamecube version over wild world as well! Will be less features but you can't beat playing on a big screen with a controller :) the original graphics and music are so lovely and there are slight differences in gameplay/ world that more than make up for the absence of convenience features they put into new leaf. Do keep in mind though how old the game is, may take a little more patience in comparison, acnl was everything 8yo me wanted in the original so honestly it's actually now my favorite <3

For the dialogue alone, it's fantastic, but for superior graphics (for the most part), you can't go past NL.

WW is a huge step backwards, graphically, and the villager houses are all dumps.

It would still be an enjoyable game though, for someone new to it, but you would be really missing out if you didn't start with NL. ^_^

Nope! Unless you have nostalgia attached to it, I don't think you'll enjoy it. New Leaf is far superior and I'd just stick with that for now.

Not really. It's not a terrible game, but it's very lacking compared to the rest of the Animal Crossing games. There is not very much to do in this game. There are no real holidays, only very small, lackluster ones. All four players share the same house, so customization is limited. You also can't decorate the exterior of the house, besides changing the roof color. There is also no city, or mainstreet so Tom Nook's store and the Able sisters are the only shops in game. Not to mention, unless you connect to wifi you cannot upgrade to Nook's last store, which also unlocks Harriet. And since the wifi for Wild World has been shut down, that might be a problem. There's just more. Wild World is just very lacking if you're coming from New Leaf. Heck, I started playing WW after playing City Folk before New Leaf even came out, and I found it to be very lacking even though everyone says City Folk is just a WW copy.

I've actually been thinking of getting Wild World. After spending almost 3000 hours in New Leaf I just can't get back into that game no matter how good it is. I want something new and since I skipped WW back in the game (I went straight from Gamecube version to New Leaf) I thought it could scratch my Animal Crossing itch until the next installment drops. But most opinions seem to be that it doesn't hold up very well today? Now I'm on the fence whether or not I should get it.

Wild world was my first ac game and I LOVED it at the time, but once new leaf came out I only ever went back to it once just out of interest. I was shocked at how bad the graphics were (like i swear I dont remember it being that bad??) everything is very dull and brown, the villager houses are pretty much shacks and there isn't really 'holidays', well there is but nothing in comparison to NL.
In my opinion dont pick it up unless you find it cheaply somewhere, after playing NL you'll probably spend about 10 minutes on WW because it's just so bad in comparison.
It's not a bad game in general but I would rather play Gamecube or City Folk over Wild World. (this is coming from someone who played ww solidly for 5 years and thought it was the best thing ever)

Last edited:
I picked it back up for a time when I was in a dry spell progress-wise in New Leaf, I enjoyed it. It has some odd, quirky things about it which either make or break it for some people. The main gripe I have is the visual quality and that you need a visitor to buy something in your store to get the final shop upgrade. I played it till I lost my catalog progress since my computer died. Even then, I'll likely have to reset the file since I think I soft locked it. There's a glitch where if you time travel backwards while your shop is upgrading, it'll likely be stuck like that.

Last edited:
Back