• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Guns

Guns

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicles are for transportation. Knives are for cooking. There's no use for guns other than killing and you hear way, way, way more about US shootings than European bomb attacks (not to mention you've got bomb attacks too) and bombs are, you guessed it, illegal.

Obviously they are used for transportation and cooking, which proves the point if someone wants to kill someone, they will use whatever is available to commit their crime.

There are videos of European police officers running from knife attackers, how can you trust your life to someone who can barely protect themselves?

Do you think women who are raped shouldn't be allowed to use deadly force to protect themselves?
Do you think that robbery victims with guns in their face should just surrender and trust their lives to someone willing to kill them over $50?

i consider gun ownership to be much more a privilege rather than an "right"

I'm hearing both "gun control/banning guns reduces gun crime" coming from people who live in countries who banned guns and confirms its effective, contrary to the "gun control/banning guns increases gun crime" coming from americans who are pro-gun.

LOL i think the ones who experienced it has a clear higher value and validity of their opinion than the other. also, look at countries like japan, canada, australia and others. they have low gun violence rates because of their strict gun laws.

its disappointing that some americans put more effort to express entitlement of owning a something that was created for the purpose of killing/harming, rather than care about gun violence and gun crime rates, and hold compassion for victims of gun violence. but hey, its america. moral standards and priorities haven't changed or gotten that much better since the past hundreds of years. we ironically, dont even live up to our motto, (although "gimmick" is a much more accurate definition) "liberty and justice for all"

Obviously they are used for transportation and cooking, which proves the point if someone wants to kill someone, they will use whatever is available to commit their crime.

There are videos of European police officers running from knife attackers, how can you trust your life to someone who can barely protect themselves?

Do you think women who are raped shouldn't be allowed to use deadly force to protect themselves?
Do you think that robbery victims with guns in their face should just surrender and trust their lives to someone willing to kill them over $50?

"If someone comes at you with a gun you need to protect yourself" Okay so you're admitting that the problem is indeed guns. Thanks. Good job dude.
Also you realize getting a driver's license and a car/truck takes more time and has more legal requirements & paperwork than getting a gun, right?

I don't know how you can point fingers at videos of other countries' police officers when there's videos of american cops pulling out their guns because a black kid wore a hoodie or ran a red light or literally just existed in their presence. Running from someone with a knife is pretty reasonable but if you're threatened by someone for something completely non life-threatening that's pathetic.

On another note how dare you bring rape victims into this.

"If someone comes at you with a gun you need to protect yourself" Okay so you're admitting that the problem is indeed guns. Thanks. Good job dude.
Also you realize getting a driver's license and a car/truck takes more time and has more legal requirements & paperwork than getting a gun, right?

I don't know how you can point fingers at videos of other countries' police officers when there's videos of american cops pulling out their guns because a black kid wore a hoodie or ran a red light or literally just existed in their presence. Running from someone with a knife is pretty reasonable but if you're threatened by someone for something completely non life-threatening that's pathetic.

On another note how dare you bring rape victims into this.

1) Criminals are always going to have guns, genius.
Why is it that place with incredibly high gun control tend to have higher crime?

2) Driving is a privilege, not a right.

And how dare you for thinking that people do not have the right to defend themselves.
Why is it that only the elite celebrities and politicians should have armed guards around them?
Is the little person, such as you, me, and everyone else, not worth it in your eyes?

I think my life is worth fighting for.
Obviously, you don't.

Ban all guns and only let people buy non-deadly weapons. Maybe with rubber bullets or paralyzing guns.

Last edited:
Why is it that place with incredibly high gun control tend to have higher crime?

And how dare you for thinking that people do not have the right to defend themselves.
Why is it that only the elite celebrities and politicians should have armed guards around them?
Is the little person, such as you, me, and everyone else, not worth it in your eyes?

Obviously, you don't.

1. No... they aren't? Not if you make it harder for them to get them?
????????????

As for crime rates... you sure you wanna boast about that buddy? The states are pretty up there especially when it comes to guns.

2. Driving being a privilege or a right has nothing to do with this. The point is getting a murder weapon should not be easier than getting a car, or a pack of cigarettes, or alcohol, or a lottery ticket, or

I never said people don't have the right to defend themselves. I said your country has a gun problem and yet refuses to do away with guns. The most obvious, logical answer to "Well what if someone comes at you with a gun?" would be to make it harder for them to get said guns yet so many people can't see that for some reason. I also never said anything about armed guards or celebrities or politicians but keep replying to crap that isn't there to make yourself feel better I guess.

There's no need to act like you're someone high and mighty who fights off dudes everyday when you're just someone with an internet connection.

Last edited:

in cases of rape I'm like 150% sure the problem wasn't that the victim didn't have a gun.. I can't believe people actually say such completely asinine things like this

lmao "people will commit crimes anyways so why should we try to stop it, also it is my god given right to commit murder if i feel threathened"

Ban them.

Or at least heavily revamp that bs US system where you can but them in your everyday grocery store. All this amendment **** is just.. why even write that in.

Obviously, you don't.

if youre so worried about your own safety why do you want people to have guns. even if someone would still have a gun youre more likely to be involved in gun related crime if 70 percent of people have guns than if only 10 percent have guns

dfkhjdfgxfhxg also "if someone shoots me or anyone else i should shoot them!!! dont worry about safety guys because if someone shoots u i will shoot them in return :')" is the most american thing ...

dfkhjdfgxfhxg also "if someone shoots me or anyone else i should shoot them!!! dont worry about safety guys because if someone shoots u i will shoot them in return :')" is the most american thing ...

Yeah, lolol.

Also why even bring driving into this (or other things as above)? Of course driving is something you must learn correctly, and it costs so yes therefore it's a privilege, a bad one since it's so expensive and like 80% of jobs require that anyway unless you are very rich and can hire your own chauffeur.

And yes criminals will probably have weapons because they have contacts and know to get them, captain obvious up there.

1. No... they aren't? Not if you make it harder for them to get them?
????????????

As for crime rates... you sure you wanna boast about that buddy? The states are pretty up there especially when it comes to guns.

2. Driving being a privilege or a right has nothing to do with this. The point is getting a murder weapon should not be easier than getting a car, or a pack of cigarettes, or alcohol, or a lottery ticket, or

I never said people don't have the right to defend themselves. I said your country has a gun problem and yet refuses to do away with guns. The most obvious, logical answer to "Well what if someone comes at you with a gun?" would be to make it harder for them to get said guns yet so many people can't see that for some reason. I also never said anything about armed guards or celebrities or politicians but keep replying to crap that isn't there to make yourself feel better I guess.

There's no need to act like you're someone high and mighty who fights off dudes everyday when you're just someone with an internet connection.

I wrote a very lengthy response to this, but I lost it. So here we go again.

Your first link is on total gun crimes, not even per capita. So if you adjust the rates per population, America drops from 1 to 22.
It's basically expected for countries with higher populations to have more crimes.

Your second link states that America is at rank 10 in murders committed with firearms. At least it's per capita this time, but most of those murders are drug related anyway in America.

Your third link is complete irrelevant any because it's based on the survey-takers subject views.

Read this.

And obviously you believe that all guns are bad, no matter who has them or not. No matter how hard you try to ban guns, there's this little thing called the black market that criminals like to use to get things they aren't allowed to have.

And I know you didn't bring up politicians or celebrities. I was asking a question that I wanted you to answer. This is a discussion.
Do you think that politicians and celebrities along with other elitists should be the only ones with guards with guns to protect themselves?
What about you and me and everyone else who has no one else to protect us but ourselves?
I don't know about you, but I would carry a gun to ensure my safety and that of my families.
I even carry a rifle to protect my nation.

It's okay for you to think that the police will always be there to protect you, but they are nearly always not going to be there instantly. People who are on the receiving end of a crime, whether it be an assault, robbery, or sex crime will always have to rely upon themselves.

in cases of rape I'm like 150% sure the problem wasn't that the victim didn't have a gun.. I can't believe people actually say such completely asinine things like this

You don't even need a gun to commit a sexual crime like that. What I'm saying is that if the victim has a firearm to protect themselves, the rape wouldn't have happened. Nice try cherry picking my words though.

lmao "people will commit crimes anyways so why should we try to stop it, also it is my god given right to commit murder if i feel threathened"

I don't even know why I'm bothering to reply to you, but there is a difference between murder and killing someone in self-defense. *eye roll*

The fundamental flaw is basically the case of Stephen Paddock. No one knew he was mentally ill, a criminal or had access to all those firearms. Same with Randy Stair -- no one knew he'd commit a massacre (somehow, because he made it v obvious lol), nor did they know he was suicidal. I don't know, the USA could ban semi-automatics and shotguns and keep only some rifles and pistols around, for hunting purposes. It's what Australia did and we've not had a mass shooting (at least that I'm aware of) since 1996.

What we also need is more mental health awareness. But I cba delving into that.

Last edited:
if youre so worried about your own safety why do you want people to have guns. even if someone would still have a gun youre more likely to be involved in gun related crime if 70 percent of people have guns than if only 10 percent have guns

Talking to a wall is more productive than talking to you, but here we go. I don't want criminals to have firearms, but because I have common sense, I know that there are criminals out there who do.

Isn't it obvious that you would want to shoot the person who is trying to kill you or someone else? Nah, you'd just cower in a corner instead of doing something about it. There's nothing worse than someone who sees evil being done, and is not willing to take a stand against it.

bad example, a pretty extreme one to throw out too
if they were allowed (and its usually justified anyway)
1) paralysed by fear, not being able to protect themselves
2) being with someone they trust, not carrying the protection they had
3) they might still be overpowered and have the gun taken off of them, making the situation worse, which is likely
4) even if they have the gun with them in their bag they are still vulnerable to alcohol, drugs or spiked drinks, etc etc

bad example, a pretty extreme one to throw out too
if they were allowed (and its usually justified anyway)
1) paralysed by fear, not being able to protect themselves
2) being with someone they trust, not carrying the protection they had
3) they might still be overpowered and have the gun taken off of them, making the situation worse, which is likely
4) even if they have the gun with them in their bag they are still vulnerable to alcohol, drugs or spiked drinks, etc etc

1) that's why you should be prepared at all times.
2) if they are carrying the protection, it doesn't matter if it's someone they trust or not.
3) that's why you don't allow the criminal to get close to you.
4) carrying your gun in your bag is a moronic idea anyway, it should always be on your person where you have positive control over it. And obviously a firearm will not protect you against spiked drinks and alcohol. That's up to you. You shouldn't even be handing a weapon when you're under the influence anyway.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Doubt anyone will watch this but here you go.

1) that's why you should be prepared at all times.
2) if they are carrying the protection, it doesn't matter if it's someone they trust or not.
3) that's why you don't allow the criminal to get close to you.
4) carrying your gun in your bag is a moronic idea anyway, it should always be on your person where you have positive control over it. And obviously a firearm will not protect you against spiked drinks and alcohol. That's up to you. You shouldn't even be handing a weapon when you're under the influence anyway.

to 1): you cannot fight fear at times. people react differently. and i know how it feels. it's not simply "i'll hurt/kill them and run off" and then everything is fine.
to 2): to them it might. people might feel relaxed with them and they turn off the alert switch. they might have known them for years. they might be manipulated. i'm not trying to speak on what i would do.
to 3): again, it really isn't that simple. they can be faster than you, acting quickly, and you can't do much if you're caught off guard, alone. they might find ways to turn your gun against you.
to 4): my point was that the gun would be useless when away in there, but people probably still do that, like a false sense of comfort. but even when it's on you, there's still a chance that the criminal can find a way to secure it for themselves.

i'll watch the video in a minute

School Shooting
#dank

to 1): you cannot fight fear at times. people react differently. and i know how it feels. it's not simply "i'll hurt/kill them and run off" and then everything is fine.
to 2): to them it might. people might feel relaxed with them and they turn off the alert switch. they might have known them for years. they might be manipulated. i'm not trying to speak on what i would do.
to 3): again, it really isn't that simple. they can be faster than you, acting quickly, and you can't do much if you're caught off guard, alone. they might find ways to turn your gun against you.
to 4): my point was that the gun would be useless when away in there, but people probably still do that, like a false sense of comfort. but even when it's on you, there's still a chance that the criminal can find a way to secure it for themselves.

i'll watch the video in a minute

These are good points that you bring up, and unfortunately carrying a gun on you isn't going to be the end all be all of protection.
There's a saying in the Marine Corps, "Complacency Kills."
You have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to act in a moments notice.
But having a firearm on you is a better bet than having nothing at all.

These are good points that you bring up, and unfortunately carrying a gun on you isn't going to be the end all be all of protection.
There's a saying in the Marine Corps, "Complacency Kills."
You have to be aware of your surroundings and be prepared to act in a moments notice.
But having a firearm on you is a better bet than having nothing at all.

i guess being aware of what's happening is just luck of the draw. if you're trained or you've been taught how to protect yourself then you're definitely going to at least be prepared.
it's also true that it's better to have something but it also could be for the worse, like most things. if the person is bigger and stronger than you then it's harder but still possible to protect yourself. my guess is that many people aren't ready for situations like that because they don't think they will ever need those skills to act quickly.
i'm so-so about guns. i think they can save lives, but i'm also incredibly fearful of them and the power they can have to take lives, the lives of the bad or the good, away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back