• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Guns

Guns

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I voted options 7 and 8, but in actuality, I DO think, at the very least, parts to convert a semi-auto to full auto should be banned.

Restrictions for criminals and the mentally ill, and by mentally ill, I mean ill to the point they're handicapped by it. Like hallucinations, delusions, violent outbursts, things along those lines. I don't mean people with mental health problems like anxiety or depression because those are things that can't really be proven if they're consistently denied.

I also agree that banning guns is a terrible idea for reasons I've stated a hundred times already. I'm glad to see some people making sense in this thread.

Last edited:
Restrictions for criminals and the mentally ill, and by mentally ill, I mean ill to the point they're handicapped by it. Like they hallucinations, delusions, violent outbursts, things along those lines. I don't mean people with mental health problems like anxiety or depression because those are things that can't really be proven if they're consistently denied.

I also agree that banning guns is a terrible idea for reasons I've stated a hundred times already. I'm glad to see some people making sense in this thread.

so u think people who have been sentenced for weed or idk tax evasion wont be allowed to own guns bc theyre Criminals?? shouldn't non violent criminals be able to defend themselves against the Bad Guys, do you just want them to get shot to death (since we all know that literally the only way to avoid being murdered w a gun is to own a gun urself)
why not implement a control system that every citizen is required to go through, just so we can know which ones should get guns and which shouldn't :')

also im really sick of the whole mental illness thing haha. yes there are people who live with mental illness and commit crimes but being mentally ill doesnt make you dangerous. mentally ill people are more at risk of being victims of crimes or hurt themselves. the percentage of crimes that are commited by severely mentally ill people isnt way out of proportion.
i hate when people blame mentally ill people for gun violence. you just don't want to admit that the current dituation in america and the current gun laws cause crimes commited with guns. yeah, america is unsafe in a lot of places, but if you own a gun you are making it a more unsafe place.

- - - Post Merge - - -

haha Also I Have A Fun Idea; men shouldnt be allowed to own guns because they are too dangerous and violent. a majority of violent crimes are commited by men, it has been noted and time again that men are more violent than women. wouldn't it be logical to not let them own guns? you know, for everyone elses safety :')

This thread's been reported multiple times at this point, so I'll just post to remind everyone to keep it chill if you want to discuss such a controversial topic. Don't resort to condescension and talking down to others to get your point across, and if you can't have a debate without becoming heated, you need to walk away and refrain from posting entirely.

Not everyone is going to agree about something like this, and that's life. Respect that others may feel differently than you and consider the fact that they may have their own reasons for feeling the way they do, whether or not they make sense to someone who holds an opposite viewpoint. I didn't see anything too bad while reading through the posts here, but a few of you need to keep your frustrations in check and be a bit more civil with how you're speaking to others.

Thanks peeps. ;)

so u think people who have been sentenced for weed or idk tax evasion wont be allowed to own guns bc theyre Criminals?? shouldn't non violent criminals be able to defend themselves against the Bad Guys, do you just want them to get shot to death (since we all know that literally the only way to avoid being murdered w a gun is to own a gun urself)
why not implement a control system that every citizen is required to go through, just so we can know which ones should get guns and which shouldn't :')

Wow, way to misrepresent my viewpoint. No, I don't think someone charged with possession of weed or other minor drugs, or tax evasion (or a whole myriad of other minor crimes) should lose the right to own a gun. I do, however, think people charged with things like assault, robbery, rape, pedophilia, kidnapping, or criminal homicide (not in self defense) should lose the right to own a gun and to vote. I give zero ****s about those kinds of people.

also im really sick of the whole mental illness thing haha. yes there are people who live with mental illness and commit crimes but being mentally ill doesnt make you dangerous. mentally ill people are more at risk of being victims of crimes or hurt themselves. the percentage of crimes that are commited by severely mentally ill people isnt way out of proportion.
i hate when people blame mentally ill people for gun violence. you just don't want to admit that the current dituation in america and the current gun laws cause crimes commited with guns. yeah, america is unsafe in a lot of places, but if you own a gun you are making it a more unsafe place.

I'm not blaming gun violence on mentally ill people. I'm saying that if you're mentally ill to the point you can't tell what's real and what isn't, you shouldn't be owning a gun. I know that not every mentally ill person is dangerous, and note that I DIDN'T SAY THEY WERE. Jesus kid. The gun laws currently in place don't cause gun violence. ****ty people do. And, like Ably.Saucey said, gun violence tends to happen in places with strict gun control laws. This is because gun free zones make for an entire zone of easy targets. If someone thinks you're armed, they're not going to rob or assault you on your way to your car in a dark parking garage, for example. An armed society is a much more polite society. And once again, only law abiding citizens would fork over their guns were they to be banned, and they'd only make themselves more vulnerable to the people that already don't give a **** about the law, or anyone but themselves.

I own 3 guns by the way, and I'm in no way, shape or form making the US a more dangerous place. They've only ever been used on a target at a range, and I'd very much like to keep it that way.

haha Also I Have A Fun Idea; men shouldnt be allowed to own guns because they are too dangerous and violent. a majority of violent crimes are commited by men, it has been noted and time again that men are more violent than women. wouldn't it be logical to not let them own guns? you know, for everyone elses safety :')

Your profile says you're male. Please explain to me why you're talking **** about yourself.

Wow, way to misrepresent my viewpoint. No, I don't think someone charged with possession of weed or other minor drugs, or tax evasion (or a whole myriad of other minor crimes) should lose the right to own a gun. I do, however, think people charged with things like assault, robbery, rape, pedophilia, kidnapping, or criminal homicide (not in self defense) should lose the right to own a gun and to vote. I give zero ****s about those kinds of people.

I'm not blaming gun violence on mentally ill people. I'm saying that if you're mentally ill to the point you can't tell what's real and what isn't, you shouldn't be owning a gun. I know that not every mentally ill person is dangerous, and note that I DIDN'T SAY THEY WERE. Jesus kid. The gun laws currently in place don't cause gun violence. ****ty people do. And, like Ably.Saucey said, gun violence tends to happen in places with strict gun control laws. This is because gun free zones make for an entire zone of easy targets. If someone thinks you're armed, they're not going to rob or assault you on your way to your car in a dark parking garage, for example. An armed society is a much more polite society. And once again, only law abiding citizens would fork over their guns were they to be banned, and they'd only make themselves more vulnerable to the people that already don't give a **** about the law, or anyone but themselves.

I own 3 guns by the way, and I'm in no way, shape or form making the US a more dangerous place. They've only ever been used on a target at a range, and I'd very much like to keep it that way.

Your profile says you're male. Please explain to me why you're talking **** about yourself.

Could not have said it better myself.

If this thread's still on here tomorrow or whenever I get on again and are in the mood to talk about this stuff, I'll totally explain my point of view on the situation.

I believe Miii and rbell2915 make very good points in this thread.

I read an article from a conservative blogging site called TownHall. The writer of the article on gun control suggested that the best way to prevent public shootings is to bring back religion in schools since it teaches morals. Ever since we got rid of the mandated school prayer, our country has gotten more immoral. The increase in public shootings, even if we kept them under control, is one of them. But thanks to our deeply divided nation, I don't think bringing back religion in schools is gonna work.

Last edited:

I read an article from a conservative blogging site called TownHall. The writer of the article on gun control suggested that the best way to prevent public shootings is to bring back religion in schools since it teaches morals. Ever since we got rid of the mandated school prayer, our country has gotten more immoral. The increase in public shootings, even if we kept them under control, is one of them. But thanks to our deeply divided nation, I don't think bringing back religion in schools is gonna work.

It's not like religion doesn't exist anymore just because people are no longer forced to learn it in school. People are still free to practice whatever religion they choose in their own personal lives, which is how it should be - rather than having the school system decide what religion you should follow (based on what, by the way... which one teaches the "best" morals? would this idea include mandatory teaching of all faiths in school? I just don't see the logic)

im not, im just saying that men generally are more violent than women.

You know... I thought you were just being sarcastic with that last paragraph, which is why I replied with something equally as sarcastic but wow. Do you honestly think men shouldn't be allowed to own guns? Why are you so partial to women? What actually makes us any better? I don't see any reason that I'm more deserving of gun ownership than a man that, like me and the majority of people, chooses not to be a criminal.

A larger portion of crimes may be committed by men, but the vast majority of men in the US aren't violent. I think people should have the right to own a gun unless they have a disabling mental illness where reality is unclear to them or they're prone to violent outbursts, or until they prove otherwise by committing a violent crime.

I completely disagree with that, and though I haven't read the article myself, it already sounds like the guy is religious himself, and speaking from personal experience. I have to go to work soon, but I might check it out later.

If you want your kid to go to a religious school, put them in private school. Separation of church and state and freedom of religion in the US are two very important things that we can't just toss aside in an attempt to deal with individuals committing violent crimes. I think it's up to parents to instill values and morals in their children. I think it's also up to parents to spend time with their kids, to be there for them and to watch them closely while they're growing up to look for negative behavior/ character traits developing so they can correct them. I personally wouldn't want anyone else telling my kids what to believe, that they have to pray or anything else like that. You can certainly uphold traditionally Christian values without actually believing in a god.

I think that allowing teachers to carry firearms on them during the school day would be extremely beneficial in lowering the chance of a school shooting.

Gun free zones just means open season to psychopaths.

I completely disagree with that, and though I haven't read the article myself, it already sounds like the guy is religious himself, and speaking from personal experience. I have to go to work soon, but I might check it out later.

If you want your kid to go to a religious school, put them in private school. Separation of church and state and freedom of religion in the US are two very important things that we can't just toss aside in an attempt to deal with individuals committing violent crimes. I think it's up to parents to instill values and morals in their children. I think it's also up to parents to spend time with their kids, to be there for them and to watch them closely while they're growing up to look for negative behavior/ character traits developing so they can correct them. I personally wouldn't want anyone else telling my kids what to believe, that they have to pray or anything else like that. You can certainly uphold traditionally Christian values without actually believing in a god.

I've been reading his articles for months now. I don't think he's religious, but he's very conservative. His articles point out the left-wing hypocrisies and the bad behavior of the left wing, as they always point in liberals in a negative light. But he's also very negative.

Solving gun violence with even more guns? Only in america boys and girls, only in america.

I think that allowing teachers to carry firearms on them during the school day would be extremely beneficial in lowering the chance of a school shooting.

Gun free zones just means open season to psychopaths.

"I think allowing someone to carry a gun in a school would lower the chance of shootings, by guns, in schools"

Excuse me but what am I reading

You know what would lower the chance of school shootings? Making it harder for school shooters to get guns.

Last edited:
The argument that you need to "protect yourselves" is plain ********.

You've obviously lived a very, very sheltered life. There are some absolutely horrible people out there, no matter how safe the place you live in is, that would do things to you I can't even mention on this forum without getting banned. You should have a gun for home defense, and it's good to go through the CHL course and get your concealed carry license.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back