• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Guns

Guns

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
a good defense weapon when you're in trouble, but it's not the greatest feeling when you're on the other side of the barrel

seriously though, where i live, we have one of the highest crime rates. be careful out there ya'll

They are a given right, and should not be taken away. The ability to own a gun is a freedom won for we American citizens, and taking away that right not only gives the government more power (which goes against what the US government stands for), but it takes away our rights.

In other words, don't ban them.

I'm a Canadian. We have pretty great gun control laws and surprise surprise, there are far fewer mass shootings. ?\_(ツ)_/?

I think they should be banned in the States or at least regulated far more strictly. In other countries like Canada, the U.K., Australia and Japan with stricter gun laws there are waaaay less shootings than in the States, and not many people up here (Canada) as far as I know carry around guns for defense but we're fine, or at least way more fine than the States. If guns are banned, then there isn't as much a need for that level of defense. I know majority of gun owners are safe with their guns but at this point is it really worth the risk? People's safety is more important than whatever reason people "need" guns for (and yes self defense is also important but again, if guns are banned there won't be as much a need for self defense!!! And honestly it's not like in a situation like last night someone in the crowd could've saved people in any way by having a gun)

Last edited:
Option 2-3 make no sense, banning guns at all makes no sense criminals will still kill, most weapons used by the mentally ill and criminals are stolen, and people will commit suicide by other means.
It's a people problem, not a weapon problem.
More people are killed by blunt force objects (bats, hammers,shovels) than guns.
And most shootings in the US, are in areas with the strictest gun laws. (Detroit, for example).
Banning guns just take guns out of the hands of honest people. Criminals will find guns if they want them.

Last edited:
For those who actually do believe in banning guns, I don't see how it's any different from when America banned alcohol. It didn't do jack ****. People still found ways to drink their booze the same way people will find ways to acquire guns. Say you did magically take away guns from criminals. Remember that mass stabbing in China that left 29 dead and over a hundred wounded? People will always find a way to kill.

Option 2-3 make no sense, banning guns at all makes no sense criminals will still kill, most weapons used by the mentally ill and criminals are stolen, and people will commit suicide by other means.
More people are killed by blunt force objects (bats, hammers,shovels) than guns.
And most shootings in the US, are in areas with the strictest gun laws. (Detroit, for example).
Banning guns just take guns out of the hands of honest people. Criminals will find guns if they want them.

By criminals I meant people with a criminal record.

For those who actually do believe in banning guns, I don't see how it's any different from when America banned alcohol. It didn't do jack ****. People still found ways to drink their booze the same way people will find ways to acquire guns. Say you did magically take away guns from criminals. Remember that mass stabbing in China that left 29 dead and over a hundred wounded? People will always find a way to kill.

These statements are absolutely 100% right. Banning guns won't reduce crime; if anything, it'll make crime even worse.

Laws only restrict people who follow the law. In this case, if guns are illegal, the good people will obey the law and not have a gun, but the criminals will still find a way to get one. And since the law-followers have no gun to defend themselves with, who's got it worse?

I don't think banning guns is the answer at all. It's not gonna stop mass shootings from happening.

I don't think banning guns is the answer at all. It's not gonna stop mass shootings from happening.

Except that it absolutely would. Not entirely, of course, but it would take the stats down by an insane amount. Just look up stats. Quoting from this Guardian article: "The United States’s gun homicide rate is 25 times higher than other high-income countries, according to a recent study." 25 times! That's insane!

For those who are visual learners, here's a chart.
tumblr_ox824gHTmN1uwmlq8o1_540.png

Gun control works. And the second amendment thing was written when it was muskets and gun powder, not rapid fire assault rifles.

"People will do it anyway" is such a dumb excuse. Murder happens despite the fact it's illegal, but does that mean we should legalise murder because "it won't make a difference"?

"People will do it anyway" is such a dumb excuse. Murder happens despite the fact it's illegal, but does that mean we should legalise murder because "it won't make a difference"?

Who said it was legal lol

I think they should be banned in the States or at least regulated far more strictly. In other countries like Canada, the U.K., Australia and Japan with stricter gun laws there are waaaay less shootings than in the States, and not many people up here (Canada) as far as I know carry around guns for defense but we're fine, or at least way more fine than the States. If guns are banned, then there isn't as much a need for that level of defense. I know majority of gun owners are safe with their guns but at this point is it really worth the risk? People's safety is more important than whatever reason people "need" guns for (and yes self defense is also important but again, if guns are banned there won't be as much a need for self defense!!! And honestly it's not like in a situation like last night someone in the crowd could've saved people in any way by having a gun)

I mean, I do see the point that the right-wing makes. It's a lot easier to control guns in the UK, Australia, and Japan, because they're islands.

That said, if America made even the slightest amount of effort...

Except that it absolutely would. Not entirely, of course, but it would take the stats down by an insane amount. Just look up stats. Quoting from this Guardian article: "The United States?s gun homicide rate is 25 times higher than other high-income countries, according to a recent study." 25 times! That's insane!

For those who are visual learners, here's a chart.
tumblr_ox824gHTmN1uwmlq8o1_540.png

Gun control works. And the second amendment thing was written when it was muskets and gun powder, not rapid fire assault rifles.

I was not aware of those other statistics.

I can agree that we should be allowed to own guns. Hunting rifles, pistols, fine. But I mean, I don't particularly understand the people who need full-automatics to go hunting. Exactly how bad of a shot are these people?

Poll Option #8 is the only correct option here.

And yes, I voted 2, 3, 4, and 8. One of them because if you abuse them, you lose them. Another, you don’t want to put them in the wrong hands. Same for the other option. And Option #8, I would feel wrong if I didn’t vote it.

Honestly, I'm glad I'm not a politician and therefore don't have to deal with this. I agree with others that banning guns could lead to Prohibition-type problems (but probably worse). But on the other hand, I'm sick of the shootings. Both civilians shooting other civilians and cops shooting civilians need to stop.

Comparing the illegalization of alcohol to that of guns does not correlate at all. America's blind eye to drug and alcohol addiction is deeply rooted in the cause for domestic gun violence in America.

--

I usually avoid political topics but some of these answers make me so.. angry.
Someone please tell me why everyone should have access to assault combat weapons that have 30-bullet magazines? IN WHAT SITUATION would you need that kind of fire power to defend yourself? Not even hunters for sport use those kinds of weapons.

For the "it's a people problem, not a weapon problem, and people will find a way to kill anyways":

If it is a people problem, it's because of factors WAY bigger than which weapons are used. In a country where there is such inaccessible and expensive health care for people with undiagnosed mental health issues, guns shouldn't be just handed out to anyone, let alone combat assault weapons. And even more importantly, poverty and drug misuse are also two of the bigger factors in gun crime. It's a country problem when we have the highest rates of gun violence and most privately-held guns than any other developed country in the world. When you think adding more guns to the equation is going to suddenly counter-act the threat of guns that already exist, that's just backwards. Unless something changes socio-economically, this is not going to magically be the last mass shooting in America.

Now if you'll excuse me, i have some birthday cake to finish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back