• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Venturing Out Into Other Animal Crossing Games. Any Tips?

bcmii

The tense past is swaying
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Ok, folks. So, I've had New Leaf for over 2.5 years now, and still love it dearly.

That being said, lately I've been watching videos of the other Animal Crossing games, and have become greatly interested (lol, I also found out about NL through videos. . .). I've been thinking about getting Wild World and City Folk. Actually, I've watched so videos that at this point, I'm determined to get those games.

So. . .are there any tips you may have for me in going back in the series? I've heard that New Leaf is a major upgrade to the games, and I'm afraid that I may have become to accustomed to the New Leaf way of doing things. I just want to know what exactly to expect. I've mainly heard that bells are harder to obtain, and that the towns are less customizable . . .

What else do I need to know?

New Leaf is by far the best instalment in the series in my opinion, although I never played AC on the GameCube. I got a lot of play time out of CF but that was partly because my siblings and my mum also played and it was a shared effort. I didn't play as much of WW but I tried to get back into it a few months ago. I couldn't really motivate myself to play as it felt so limited compared to NL. Also bear in mind that you can't use any WiFi features on either WW or CF which means you can't get the most out of the games (it even means you can't upgrade Nook's store to the highest level or get Shampoodle's in WW if I remember correctly). It's really up to you if you want to play the other games and I imagine a lot of people will recommend that you try out the original AC for GameCube over WW or CF.

I know the excitement I got from watching AC videos online - it's what prompted me to get Population Growing all those years ago :)
Although there is less room to customize, each game has appeals. Go into them with an open mind. There are some features (mainly in the Gamecube version) that were removed and can be new experiences!

For example, there used to be bushes to run through, balls laying around town that could be passed between neighbours, and events like Morning Aerobics - as well as a bird's eye view instead of a rolling pin world (all this in Population Growing). There's a city and much bigger town to explore, with crisp graphics in City Folk. The different dialogue you'll find from neighbours is also satisfying after hearing the same things over 2.5 years.

At the very least, as a fan of the series, I think you'll get some enjoyment out of each game. However, be prepared to slave for Tom Nook and take a back seat to Tortimer as mayor ;)

There's plenty to read up on the wikis if you want to really prepare. If not, it's still great to take things as they come - that's the goal of Animal Crossing :blush:

City folk is alright to play, and is a better version of wild world in EVERY way. Wild world is not worth it. It's seriously bad. It has bad graphics, it's ost is the same as City folks but worse. It has no real holidays and the only one I find fun is the acorn festival which is only once a year. The gamecube and wii and 3ds versions are much better. Also no pro desgins or things like public works projects (City folk atleast had the donate town thing where you could get like another bridge or a windmill.)

I agree that Population Growing would be the best to try out of the other three games. It has the most different and interesting dialogue and a lot of cool events that even New Leaf doesn't have. Personally I would always recommend Wild World because it's my favourite but a lot of people don't like it :p and you might find it boring compared to New Leaf.

Back