• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What hurts more Iv drips or getting blood drawn?

What's worst?

• Total voters
Ordinarily I'd say neither hurt and are more uncomfortable/annoying/horrifying than they are painful, BUT...

I had major surgery at age 9 and had an IV going directly into my spine. I don't know what they were feeding me through it but whatever it was made my entire torso sting and anytime I moved the wrong way it pulled and was quite honestly the most disgusting and uncomfortable sensation I've felt. When they pulled that thing out... god help me.

Yeah, I hate needles and all, but I can tolerate them as a necessary evil. Spinal IVs are a whole new poison.

Last November, I had to go the hospital, but guy who attached the IV to my arm was still in training and had no idea what he was doing and it got messy and my arm hurt so bad as the IV attacher was digging into my arm. It sucked, it took like 2 weeks to heal. The IV was worse than the injury that brought me to the Hospital

I've been getting blood tests regularly since I was nine and I've gotten 30+ since May. They never hurt, especially with the butterfly needle. Unless they jam the needle in further because they can't get any out.

Easily IV drip. When I was younger I had them semi-frequently and they hurt exactly badly. I have blood drawn once a year, and while I really hate that too, the IVs are infinitely more painful. When it goes in it?s the worst paim I?ve ever felt and it just doesn?t go away. I don?t like thinking about it.

I'm sorry but the Iv hurts more lol and the blood draw is weird but I like it hahahahahahah

I've never had an IV drip.

Getting blood drawn doesn't hurt, but it does tend to make me feel dizzy. It's not a fear of needles, it's just the whole making me suddenly anemic kind of thing.

IV drips. I had a really bad experience receiving medicine though IV drip. 24/7 for 72 hours I think it was. The actual drip being there wasn't too bad, apart from being a complete annoyance, but when changing the bags, I got a quick 30 minute drip of a different fluid (honestly, I was so out of it I don't even remember what exactly it was), but that was really, really painful and uncomfortable. I also had nurses push in the wash-out fluid in way too quickly, which was a little painful.

I have no issues at all with getting my blood taken, don't find it painful or even uncomfortable at all.

I personally think getting blood drawn is more painful but it depends on the dexterity and skill of the person doing it. I've had experiences where I didn't feel the needle much and others where it actually hurt.

When I was admitted to hospital for a severe kidney infection I found that getting antibiotics through iv drip was worse than getting blood drawn but that's probably because I was used to getting my blood taken regularly due to being anemic.

never dealt with an iv drip so i cant say but i was lucky to have a good nurse for getting blood drawn, all i felt was a very light pinch.

Yeeeaaaah both hurt like crazy. I absolutely hate the idea of having any medical needle in me at any given time (even though I have to stick needles in my body multiple times a day because of a medical condition), like the little needles I use daily are smaller than fingernails but those long IV needles/bloodwork needles? Uhhhhmmmm no thanks. I had to have blood drawn the other day and had a literal panic attack. I seriously can't handle any form of needle that sticks into your vein and oh gosh I'm starting to feel pain just thinking about it--

I mean..both are the same to me and they both aren't really that bad to me. :/ I mean it's a little annoying but nothing I'd truly call painful. IV drips can suck since, depending on what it is, it can make you feel cold.

I have very hard to see veins, so the blood tests are generally worse. It's ok when a nurse does it -they're pro , doctors generally suck at blood tests though.

I've had iv drips several times, and its hard to tell if it simply doesn't hurt because when I've gotten I've been fairly out of it (severe dehydration, post surgery etc)

But Iv drips are fine for me! Ngl getting that saline drip when you're dehydrated is like having the essence of life pumped into you so its pretty hard to complain about lol

ivs only hurt going in and mine hurt like a ***** because im usually severely dehydrated when i get them. when i was 9 i was so dehydrated and i was at a pretty big risk for going into a coma it took them 10+ tries to get the iv in. worst day ever..
however, once its in i feel better, but when i get my blood drawn i pass out every time

Back