• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What hurts more Iv drips or getting blood drawn?

What's worst?

• Total voters
eh they're really the same, aren't they? i mean, they stick a needle in and if they didn't get a clean connection then they gotta do it again. once it's in good, it's in...

I haven't needed an IV Drip, so not sure how that feels. Getting blood drawn.... ugh, I never knew blood made me nauseous until I looked down as they were drawing it. I got dizzy and light headed.
The needle itself doesn't get me as much as the blood in the tube does...

I hate all medical needles, but I've only experiences blood drawing so I'll say that because it was awful and I cried like a stupid adult baby. =[

Give me 3 piercings and 1 hundred tattoos and I'll be fine, but if a doctor comes near me I can't handle it.

Last edited:
Haven't had IV as far as I know, but yeah blood drawing/tests are horrible, 10/10 pain. I usually don't have troubles with vaccines/shots but yeah when they keep it in for so long and you faint no thanks.

IV drips don't hurt at all. But getting blood drawn reallllllyyyy hurts... :(

I hardly feel a thing when I get my blood transfusions done but that's because my body has adjusted to it as it's sort of become a routine. Every couple of months I go to have it done. I've also had blood tests to track my iron levels and sometimes its painful and other occasions I didn't feel a thing. It's worth mentioning that the nurse did inform me that for a lot of patients who have a blood test done for the first time, it generally does hurt. I suppose it depends on a person's veins too. Apparently, I have good veins. Nurses love me for it lol.

^Yeah I have barely visible veins so yeah they have to, press it in real hard and then drag it out from there when done, so yeah it hurts.

They both hurt, but getting blood drawn hurts the whole time while Iv drips only hurt when they go in and out, the rest of the time it's fine.

I've had both and the blood drawing hurts more for me. It's like I can feel the blood being drawn out (idk if i actually can or if it's my mind playing tricks) and it grosses me out and feels just bad blech

Both kind and hurt, but getting your blood drawn has a bit of a weirder feeling to it. I've never been one to get queasy around blood my blood though.

I can't say, because blood drawn wasn't bad at all, and I never had to do any Iv drip thing.

i got blood drawn to check to see if i was anemic. it was a waste of time, i just wasn't taking the iron supplements correctly. it was one of the most stressful moments of my life :'c

don't think i have had an IV drip thing so i can't compare but i don't think getting blood drawn hurts that much. obviously you feel it but it's more of an uncomfortable and weird feeling rather than pain, especially if they are taking a lot of blood. but those tiny blood tests you take from your fingertips don't hurt at all.

I guess it depends on the nurse who is administering the needle. I think IVs go in a little smoother though, but maybe I just have really bad experiences with drawing blood. One time I was admitted to the hospital and had to get blood drawn every couple hours which left my whole arm full of holes and bruises because the nurse couldn't find my vein. Good thing I was way too passed out to really notice the pain. I actually like IV drips, besides having to go to the bathroom a billion times in an hour lol.

Both of them can be bad but I think Iv drip is more painful when it goes in.

I have to have blood work done every month and it doesn't phase me at all. In and out in 5 minutes, driving to work immediately after. Getting an IV on the other hand...I was in tears when they were trying to put one in me. I've had them in my arm, my hand, my foot - every one of them hurt.

Blood drawn for me. When I had to get an IV drip for my mouth surgery, the needle didn't hurt that much and the IV fluid felt kinda cool going up my arm!! When I did a blood test it really hurt :( (but my dad had to do a million blood tests last month and in August because of his kidney failure and now they don't hurt a bit for him)

I agree with dizzy bone that it depends on the nurse. The only time I've really had a painful experience with blood being drawn was when my doctor did it. It must have taken him 4-5 times to find the vein and I ended up with a huge bruise. Nurses (I'm guessing because they do it much more often) tend to get the right spot the first time (unless you have a vein that gets shy), and are a lot more matter-of-fact about it.

The part of IV lines that is most painful, for me, is when it first starts to run. The combination of cold and pressure is uncomfortable, but it generally goes away after a moment.

Back