• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Instinct vs. Paranoia

dumplen

grumpy
Bells
Switch
3764-9677-9482
Island
Honeydrop
Pink Hybrid Tulip
Kapp'n Christmas Doll
Timmy Christmas Doll
Winter Mittens
Tasty Cake
Yellow Candy
Pear (Fruit)
If you have a suspicion stuck in your head, how do you discern it from a gut instinct or a paranoid fear?

Me, personally, I've just been going looney and don't have a way in particular that I discern one from the other. So far I just accept all my crazy ideas as truths. It's not healthy at all :'D

So talk to me, y'all. How do you handle these things?

Last edited:
Well, to me paranoia is the fear of something while your instinct it something that leads you to a choice. Like for example your instinct tells you to go left because you have a reason to believe it's the right way whereas paranoia tells you to not go right because you're afraid there might be something there for no reason.

If you struggle to figure out which one it is, just question your reasoning and whether it's logic or fear.

Wow I didn't think there was anyone else like me. I usually try to ignore it though (doesn't always work though).

Last edited:
Well, generally instincts are based from past experiences, while paranoia stems from suspicions that are based on fear.

It's tricky because the same subject can be an instinct for one person and paranoia for another.

Let's say you have a boyfriend or girlfriend and you thinking they're cheating on you

If they've cheated before, or if they've been dishonest before, then you probably are relying on instincts

If however they've never done such a thing than your thoughts are based on fear, not evidence

I have a really hard time with this exact thing, actually. With major trust issues from past trauma and betrayal, I'm always suspicious with my feelings. When a feeling is so intense that not only can I not shake it, but my chest feels tight, I usually assume it's a legitimate gut feeling. If it's a fleeting thought that returns now and again and makes me uncomfortable, I assume it's just my paranoia.

i have really bad anxiety and it's been that way since 3rd grade, so i really can't tell the difference and just assume it's paranoia every time

Last edited:
I get paranoid about whether or not my memories are true memories as I have trouble telling what's real and what's not. I also get paranoid and have to be reassured that my "instincts" aren't real.
I'm not very good with instinct/paranoia. :/

Oh man I just had this exact thought yesterday. I can never tell the difference from the two, I'm a pretty paranoid person (yay mental illness) and it makes it hard to tell what's actually 'real' or not and if what I'm feeling is genuine or just me being anxious over nothing again sigh

I mean, I've been having paranoid delusions for about a decade now and really am just scared all the time, I don't really have any way of sorting the difference, but in my experience it's usually paranoia lol

Back