Wii Shop Channel Shutting Down

Yes, but you could (and can) still buy games on the Wii Shop and you can re-download games you've already purchased. Until January 2019, at least.

Oh, I don't have a Wii so I didn't know. I thought the shop used the same servers as the online gameplay (as it was said that online gameplay shut down because the company hosting the Wii's servers ended the contract or something)

- - - Post Merge - - -

man, that's unfortunate. i really hope the 3DS and its features doesn't get discontinued for a LONG time. there are plenty of people that still play it, and i plan on still playing it in the future.
Nintendo officially declared they will support the 3ds past 2018, so don't worry about that now.

I wonder if the Wii U Virtual Console is also shut down.

Did you meant eShop on Wii U? In that case, it won't go down anytime soon, therefore meaning the VC games found on that shopping app will stay well after the one for the Wii goes offline.

Once the Wii Shop Channel phases out, there will be about 224 VC titles exclusive to that app that would no longer be obtainable outside of their original physical copy and emulation, such as Sonic the Hedgehog 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Pok?mon Puzzle League and Super Smash Bros.
Also, every single WiiWare available that isn't ported to other systems will be gone.

You all need to get Fluidity if you haven't already before this closes, it's surprisingly good. There's a 3DS version but it's pretty bad.

The Wii Shop Channel Discontinuation FAQ is up!

If you're wondering if you'll be able to redownload titles you previously purchased after January 30th 2019, you'll be glad to hear that it'll be still possible to do so. Though, that feature will be disabled at a later date. The same goes for the System Transfer Tool.

This actually really sucks. Probably the best online Nintendo store when it came to classics.

Also, that music >.< So good

Unless having the Wii Shop Channel active meant Nintendo losing money it was really overall a stupid move. :/ Many people still play on Wiis and would be downloading games on it to play.

Last edited:
Back