• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Catchphrases and greetings, gah!

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
I'm not clever enough for those! And you have to change them otherwise they will either keep pinging you to change it, or they start copying each other's catchphrases and a dog saying 'meow' just isn't right.

And forgot pretending to change their catchphrase, by clicking "Confirm" without changing it because it's knows, it's all seeing, and it will haunt you until you change the catchphrase

Also, it's always clothes. When villagers make you guess what the present is, it's clothes. Always.

Last edited:
I like changing them myself... on Sundance, I just go crazy with the greetings, since they have more characters... right now Flurry's is "Marshmallow Ham" and Hamphrey's is "Charcoal Ham", for example. x)
On Hangzhou, their greeting is always "Year of the Dog"/Pig, Rat, etc.

Also, sometimes it's furniture! I always pick clothing because it's the usual, but once I actually had flooring, I was so surprised! And didn't get anything for the delivery. x)

No, changing it won't stop them from asking you to change it. That's just a ping option, they'll ask no matter what. I've had them ask me to change their greeting TWICE in the span of 2 hours.

However on what I use? my town is all frogs, they just say 'ribbit' in different languages. Puddles says kero kero, she seems like an 'idol type' , cousteau says coa coa- he's a baguette if ever I saw. Diva says gua gua, chinese suited her I think, she made me think of hong kong for some reason. Maybe you could just use animal noises in different languages in your town too ^^

To keep them happy I just put a musical note after the catchphrase that they already have. Hit confirm. They usually leave me alone.
Big Top is keeping his Call Me James greeting and Bond catchphrase forever. Lolly picked Bond up for awhile and it was cute. My 2 secret spies.

I've received flooring and furniture from some deliveries. Since I got it wrong they don't give a gift.

Meh, I just delete then retype the last letter of their original catchphrase, don't bother changing it unless they pick up someone else's. And for greetings I just stick with variations of hey, hi, etc.

I come up with greeting/phrases that personally match the villager's design (but this haunts me later when they pass around said greetings and phrases). For example, Kabuki greets me with "moshi moshi" and calls me "chou" (name for butterfly in Japanese, or so I hope lol). Stitches greets me with "hey fluff" and his catchphrase is "stuffin'". Tia calls me teacup and her catchphrase is "teatime". Etoile says "hello starlight".

I have a few more, and there hasn't been too much swapping. One day, though, Maddie will stop ending every conversation with "me-OOH".

um, when I guess clothes for the guessing games, it's always flooring or wallpaper.

As for catchphrases, maybe you could make them say *cough* or AchOOO. I think it's pretty clever
Also for clothes, I just set up gingham shirts (for me it's red and blue) in Able Sisters so it's pretty neutral.

my town is all frogs, they just say 'ribbit' in different languages.
That is so cool! :) It's a very nice take on it; it's much better than just having them all saying 'ribbit'. :) I have Puddles in my town as well, so maybe I'll get her to say 'kero kero'. :)

All my animals' catchphrases are based on what noise they would actually make - i.e. Peaches says 'neigh'. But maybe I'll have her say it in a different language! :) And maybe I'll have Lobo say 'ah-roo' - his original catchphrase; I didn't change it since I thought it suited my catchphrase theme anyway - in Spanish, since that's where he comes from. (Lobo is Spanish for wolf. :))

Edit: I've decided that I want Lobo's catchphrase to be 'howl' in Spanish, which is 'aullido'. :)

Last edited:
If they ping you and ask for a catchphrase/greeting change, you can say yes and just leave it at what it was before. I know that's a bit boring but it's how I keep my villagers original.

I'm not very good at coming up with catchphrases because the character limit makes it very difficult for me. But yeah if you want to sell a rare villager do not make its catchphrase: "I'm stupid!"... I learned from experience...

Once in a blue moon I get inspiration and feel really proud of myself, but most of the time I refer to this list! I haven't even come close to using all of them up yet. I do wish it was still being added to, but beggars with little to no creativity can't be choosers :)

My villagers are all big fans of RuPaul's Drag Race so I give them all sassy greetings and catchphrases:

Shantay you stay
Sashay away
No tea no shade
Alright Mary

And so on and so forth. It always tickles me. ;)

I hate when i assign one or even when i don't, to a specific villager, and then another one that it doesnt pertain to at all starts repeating it -_-

I wish I could change their catchphrases/greetings more often... I hate it when they take ones from other villagers! Also, one time I decided to get Isabelle's "help" to try and reset their catchphrases to their default... but I was wrong and she just made everyone start saying "uh-huh"! Now I can never change them back! :(

No, changing it won't stop them from asking you to change it. That's just a ping option, they'll ask no matter what. I've had them ask me to change their greeting TWICE in the span of 2 hours.

However on what I use? my town is all frogs, they just say 'ribbit' in different languages. Puddles says kero kero, she seems like an 'idol type' , cousteau says coa coa- he's a baguette if ever I saw. Diva says gua gua, chinese suited her I think, she made me think of hong kong for some reason. Maybe you could just use animal noises in different languages in your town too ^^

That's really cute! I think I might do that for my villagers too, thank you!

For me, it's always clothes. Hmm, maybe it's just me.

Yesterday all my villager, I kid you not, asked me for catchphrase changes and I refused. And when I do change them I just make them say the sound the animal they are make like for a dog, it's either, woofie, barky or yippy yip for a cat it would mewl or meow. Like for instance, I changed Whitney's catchphrase to awoo, because she's a wolf. I'm so not creative with catchphrases.

I love changing my villagers' catchphrases to their names.

Punchy's greeting to me is "BURRRRP"
Ankha's greeting to me is "Bow before me"
Felicity's and Lolly's greetings are "nyaaa".
Cobb's greeting is "Braaaaiins" and his catchphrase is also "braaaiins".

Back