• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

I wanna open an art shop but I'm not sure about prices

It isn't allowing me on your Deviantart, it keeps saying page can't be reached?

Is that just me?

Yeah, I'll have to agree as well. Around 50 TBT would be suitable. Keep practicing, though! You have potential! :)

First of all, try working on a proportions.
For your Mayor Claire commission the arms are generally too short, the neck is a little too wide, the head a little too big, and the hair is flat. Also the outline is a blurry from your shading/coloring and not distinctive. I really like your shading though.
I recommend trying to draw on paper to practice these things because digital takes more time and is harder ;-;
Sorry if I sound harsh, i mean im no expert either

First of all, try working on a proportions.
For your Mayor Claire commission the arms are generally too short, the neck is a little too wide, the head a little too big, and the hair is flat. Also the outline is a blurry from your shading/coloring and not distinctive. I really like your shading though.
I recommend trying to draw on paper to practice these things because digital takes more time and is harder ;-;
Sorry if I sound harsh, i mean im no expert either

Thanks for the constructive criticism that was just a quick sketch so it wasn't meant to have effort it was for 5 tbt > https://queen-lazy.deviantart.com/art/Mayor-Claire-Commission-for-tbt-bells-706288224 that one was for 50 tbt :)

I would like to give advice, too.

If you don't learn from references or anything, I really really recommend you do so! When I started drawing, I was watching so many videos on how to draw characters and stuff, it really did help. At first my art was kinda disoriented like yours, but as I kept practicing and using references/tutorials off the internet, I kept improving! I haven't even been drawing for a year and I'm happy how far I've came :) I'm sure you can improve a lot in little time too, but you need to learn from others! Look at their art and then look at yours, see what needs to be changed. These little things can help a lot.

Good luck :)

Hi, I think 50 tbt is a good price.... and since we're in the ball park of criticism... I hope it's ok for me to chime in again.

tumblr_owv4feD8ky1u5h0x1o2_r1_1280.png

If you look where the red lines are this is where it appears the joints are in your picture... pretty funky eh? But honestly? the body itself looks fine, rather the limbs look like you have drawn the larger bone in both the arms and legs, and then after the 'elbows' and 'knees' it kinda dwindles off into nothing. I would say you should try draw the arms and legs about twice as long as you currently are. It helps to stand and pose yourself, to understand where hands should land and that. Try focus heavily on understanding where joints are. Drawing joints is one thing that REALLY helps me.

tumblr_owv4feD8ky1u5h0x1o1_1280.png

ok here I tried to mark a view things that make the image look a little off, as well as trying to imagine what the pose could look like. On the face the marks are to show the eyes are just a bit far off, giving a very... and forgive my rudeness, dopey look. While there's no ears in your picture (this is fine, like... irl I've really small ears you'd rarely spot em from head on) I've just marked them so you understand where ears go, between ears and mouth.

The horizontal line to the left of your character is to show where the fingers should be ending, just above the knee. The vertical line on the right of both drawing is to show kinda the perspective. On your drawing, over the hip we seem to get a head on perspective, but then from the hip down it SEEMS like it switches to 3/4th perspective. while the hip can twist like this, it's quite unnatural, so try to stick to all one perspective I guess. Oh! I've also edited the arm on the viewers right to be 'correct' length wise. Don't take this too serious, a mere stretching leaves the hand way too long and strange looking. But it might help you imagine! I'm not a super artist or anything, so getting criticism like this is what helps me,, sorry for imposing that onto you ^^;

I would suggest if you want to get into art seriously, try look at guides, and if it's possible at all, try find a good teacher. We often don't see mistakes in our own work just because as we look at it our eyes adjust to not spot them. Don't be discouraged! you got potential! just try get rid of bad habits and you'll be a home run hitter in no time!

Could you give constructive critisim on this too? https://imgur.com/gallery/17iS8

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's only a sketch bu welp

The body is tilted, again. If it's a habit, I recommend using a grid (if your digital art program has that), or straight sketch lines, to keep the body straight. The eyes are on the bangs, too. If you don't draw the face before the hair and eyes, do that first. Then, try drawing a line across the face, basically it marks how far down to draw the bangs. Only draw eyes UNDER the bangs.

Don't really have much to say other than that.

The body is tilted, again. If it's a habit, I recommend using a grid (if your digital art program has that), or straight sketch lines, to keep the body straight. The eyes are on the bangs, too. If you don't draw the face before the hair and eyes, do that first. Then, try drawing a line across the face, basically it marks how far down to draw the bangs. Only draw eyes UNDER the bangs.

Don't really have much to say other than that.
A lot of people put the eyes overlapping with the hair. Also my program doesn't have grids.

some of the best constructive criticism i see on here is from you. just from watching you advise other people i have learned a bunch ahah

- - - Post Merge - - -

also, Aazia, may i suggest a program with layers? if you use IOS a pretty good free one is ibis paint. it's pretty easy to understand and i recommend experimenting with layers, they helped me ALOT. if you dont quite understand layers, or other tools in the app, there are plenty of tutorials out there

Last edited:
some of the best constructive criticism i see on here is from you. just from watching you advise other people i have learned a bunch ahah

- - - Post Merge - - -

also, Aazia, may i suggest a program with layers? if you use IOS a pretty good free one is ibis paint. it's pretty easy to understand and i recommend experimenting with layers, they helped me ALOT. if you dont quite understand layers, or other tools in the app, there are plenty of tutorials out there
I use layers tho.. I use sketchbook

Could you give constructive critisim on this too? https://imgur.com/gallery/17iS8

- - - Post Merge - - -

It's only a sketch bu welp

sure, my 'fix' here has some errors tbh, it looks a bit off to me, like I said, I'm not pro haha.

tumblr_owv6yrjNRP1u5h0x1o1_1280.png

very good! the arms look much better in this picture, however, the legs have remained small... broaden the hips and make the legs longer I think. If you're going for a perspective looking slightly down on the character, simply making the legs smaller won't cut it. I tried to do a basic example of foreshortening(making something look like they're coming towards you by making parts of it smaller) in the middle. This is best achieved by making it very small and gradual, but many artists can do extreme foreshortening too- but that's way outta my skill bracket lol!

I think you listened well and applied my advice to the arms. Now try keep your shoulders and hips the same width- shoulders are a bit wider on men though - but you want to keep them fairly similar in general. Of course, there's different body types, but generally hips/ shoulders should be close enough in terms of width. Also if it helps, while I might be a little off with this, when drawing legs are about half the height of a person, maybe a little less. but you can measure this with your hand. When you compare above and below waist, are they similar in height? then you're on the right track. if either is too tall or too short it looks unbalanced. There are many skilled artists - much more so that me haha - on here. So don't be afraid to ask for criticism. I'm sure most people will keep it fair.

Last edited:

Thank you, but I'm a noob, I try give advice that works for me, but always do your own research too! I'm glad I can help, but be careful not to take my advice as gospel, I've a long way to go before I would call myself an authority on drawing tbh.

Thank you, but I'm a noob, I try give advice that works for me, but always do your own research too! I'm glad I can help, but be careful not to take my advice as gospel, I've a long way to go before I would call myself an authority on drawing tbh.

well yeah, i do have a lot of artists that i look up to, all with vastly different styles. you just happen to be one of them

Back