• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Gold Version and Silver Version for 3DS General Discussion

Sophie23

🦁 Hakuna Matata 🦁
Cherry 🍒
Persimmon 🍅
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Island
Disney
Mystery New Balloon Token
Toy Hammer Rental
Blue Bunny Balloon
Sweet Bunny Balloon
Red Bunny Balloon
Red Envelope
Red Rose
White Rose
Yellow Rose
Apple (Fruit)
You can now buy the old Game Boy games Pokemon Gold Version and Pokemon Silver Version for 3DS on Nintendo eShop

- - - Post Merge - - -

Bonus Offers

As a bonus for purchasing one of these great games for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, Trainers will get a code*** that unlocks the Mythical Pok?mon Celebi in their Pok?mon Sun or Pok?mon Moon game. Or, Trainers can hold on to the code and use it in either of the upcoming Pok?mon Ultra Sun or Pok?mon Ultra Moon games when they launch on Nov. 17.

Purchase the Pok?mon Gold Version or Pok?mon Silver Version game in Nintendo eShop by Jan. 15, 2018, to receive a bonus digital code**** for a Nintendo 3DS HOME Menu theme inspired by the version you bought.

***The code will be included on your Nintendo 3DS eShop receipt when you purchase Pok?mon Gold Version or Pok?mon Silver Version in Nintendo eShop between Sept. 22, 2017, and Sept. 21, 2018. Enter the code by Oct. 31, 2018, to claim Celebi in your Pok?mon Sun, Pok?mon Moon, Pok?mon Ultra Sun or Pok?mon Ultra Moon game. Celebi will not be available for your Pok?mon Gold or Pok?mon Silver game. For more info, visit Pokemon.com.

****Download code for the bonus Pok?mon Gold Version and Pok?mon Silver Version inspired Nintendo 3DS HOME menu theme will be available after the full game download has been completed. For more information about how to download, please visit http://support.nintendo.com/redeem-a-theme.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Last edited:
I don't know

- - - Post Merge - - -

they probably are

Last edited:
Still not sure about getting them then, I certainly shouldn't be spending money now and I really would like to re-purchase the physical copies and replace the internal batteries.

Well it's up to you really. But I got them both because I never had a Game Boy growing up and because I really really like pokemon. :)

Never had a Gameboy? Damn shame. I'm still trying to play my original Red Version when I can, it still works fine. Everyone likes Pokemon, what's not to like?

Since it's a VC GS is EXACTLY the same they didn't even fix bugs like mising no. The only bugs they did fix are bug given from the port
What's with all the ****? Edit. Um what got ****?
Deff gonna play this tho I got pkmn gold years ago from a friend but we both knew the internal battery was dead..

Last edited:
Well, there is an advantage to these games that the originals don't have. You will be able to transfer your Pokemon from them to Sun/Moon (and Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon when they come out). You can't yet since the Relocator doesn't support it, but it should soon. And if it works the same way as Red/Blue/Yellow, your Pokemon you transfer will all have their hidden abilities and be 3IV minimum when they get put into Bank. There's also older moves that Pokemon can no longer learn that you could put on your Pokemon and transfer into Sun/Moon and legitly be able to use there.

I would like to play, but I'm waiting for Crystal's release instead of buying Gold or Silver. It'll be coming at some point.

I remember playing Gold on a physical cartridge, and I've also played both versions of the remakes, so I got Silver. I chose Totodile as my starter, and I have 7 gym badges so far.

I don't have Sun or Moon yet, so my Pok?mon that I've caught might stay in Silver.

I prepaid for Silver and it's all I've been playing since it unlocked lol Silver was my first Pok?mon game so the nostalgia is enormous.. I'm not as annoyed by old clunky mechanics as I thought I would be either, it's just as fun as it was back in the day imo. And this time I knew about backtracking to Goldenrod to get the Eevee from Bill so I'm playing with an Eevee now holla

I forgot how hard it was to get evo stones though, I guess I'm junking this soon-to-be-Weepinbell cuz there's no way to evolve it until I get to Kanto. ?\_(ツ)_/? It's too bad it only has local wireless too cuz I'd like to evolve Haunter as well.

I really hope they release Pokemon Crystal as well.

If not then I'll have to settle with one of these then.

I got Silver but I've barely had time to play it, and I've just beat Bugsy and am about to travel through the Ilex Forest. Surprisingly, I thought I'd be burned out since I played the **** out of my copy of Crystal when I was a kid, and then replayed Gold over and over so many times a few months before HGSS came out, so I know these games like the back of my hand, but they still feel really fresh, which is comforting.

Never had a Gameboy? Damn shame. I'm still trying to play my original Red Version when I can, it still works fine. Everyone likes Pokemon, what's not to like?

Yeah I was never introduced to Gameboy growing up and I think my brother had one. I would of loved the Gameboy Colour Pokemon Edition.

Last edited:
I've never played GSC or HGSS so I'm considering getting it as I've wanted to play it for ages! I probably won't though because I don't really like having only digital copies of games, but obviously without a gameboy it'd be impossible to play it, haha c:

I've never gotten a chance to play any of the original Pokemon Gameboy games like RGBY or GSC since I wasn't even born when they were released, and whilst I've played the remakes, I'd love to play the originals!

Last edited:
I'll probably get it, especially to make sure I get the bonuses, but I did try to place through the original red version and found it really painful because I like to play with live dex in the boxes, and the boxes back then were just lists without any pictures and just so difficult to use T _ T I love the remakes for these too, so as nostalgic as I am for them, it can be a bit harder to get into them as much.

I'll probably get it, especially to make sure I get the bonuses, but I did try to place through the original red version and found it really painful because I like to play with live dex in the boxes, and the boxes back then were just lists without any pictures and just so difficult to use T _ T I love the remakes for these too, so as nostalgic as I am for them, it can be a bit harder to get into them as much.

Yeah, pretty much nobody back then, when those games first came out, seemed to bother with living dexes. It was partly the unavailability of things (lack of online trade made it harder to get multiple copies of certain things) but also partly the way those boxes worked. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about trying to collect a living dex until Gen 3.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Yeah, pretty much nobody back then, when those games first came out, seemed to bother with living dexes. It was partly the unavailability of things (lack of online trade made it harder to get multiple copies of certain things) but also partly the way those boxes worked. I don't think I ever heard anyone talk about trying to collect a living dex until Gen 3.

Once I beat the elite 4, catch Zapdos theen cerulean cave Gold is up next! It's gonna be fun :) I named my cyquandl "Explosion" just like I did on my dead battery gold back in yee-olden-days of like 2100s..

-News-

Pokemon Crystal is coming out for the 3DS next year! :O

- - - Post Merge - - -

Last edited:
does that mean they're including the Celebi event in the game?? will it finally be possible to get shiny Celebi.........

does that mean they're including the Celebi event in the game?? will it finally be possible to get shiny Celebi.........

Yep, that's what it sounds like.

Super excited that I actually waited for it. If I had bought Gold or Silver, I might not have wanted to buy Crystal.

Back