• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what's with hacked hybrids? (some new info!)

But you still haven't tried hacking the item itself, right? Not the bags, but the flower. I don't know if the inventory spaces can save that "data".

Then you can try hacking them into storage directly, and see if taking them out has any difference.

Leif will give you the hybrid flower bags. Find him standing in your town and Don't speak to him. Pull all the weeds. Save/continue before speaking to Leif. If Leif mentions an amount of weeds mark the amount down and than leave the game without saving. Start it back up and pull the rest of the weeds. Still not sure save/continue. When Leif wakes up he'll talk about weeds and than will mention the town has no weeds. You'll get a hybrid flower bag. I've got 5 from weeding my spare town.

Found out about hacked flowers not breeding while watching a streamer. They mentioned you wouldn't get more hybrids.
I've grown all of my hybrids myself. I still remember the day I found my first blue rose.

But you still haven't tried hacking the item itself, right? Not the bags, but the flower. I don't know if the inventory spaces can save that "data".

Then you can try hacking them into storage directly, and see if taking them out has any difference.

I've done that before.When you hack them into storage slots, they appear as a furniture named "???" and when you put them in your pockets they turn into flowers.

I don’t know if my game is glitch or not, but I did purchase a lot of unorderable WA furnitures and many of them don’t show up in my catalogue, could it be that they are hacked items?

I don’t know if my game is glitch or not, but I did purchase a lot of unorderable WA furnitures and many of them don’t show up in my catalogue, could it be that they are hacked items?

Welcome Amiibo items arent supposed to show up in your catalouge, I believe

If you have any hacked blue roses ill take them! Im trying to fill my town and not reselling.

Edit: I ran tests, with both hacked hybrids and hacked hybrid flower bags, and here are the results after trying twice:

-Hacked hybrids only produce white versions of theirselves.
-Hacked hybrid flower bags planted seem to not produce any flowers at all...

I hope I don't come off as being pretentious...
How did you do your experiments? I did some experiments too, and got a bunch of different results. With mine, the 1st statement was semi-true, but the second wasn't true at all.
With hacked flowers bags: these did breed hybrids, whether planted directly or with a shovel. All of the hacked bags I experimented with only bred other hybrids. I found that when I used more than three fertilizers per day at a time then they stop producing any flowers, but as long as I only used 3 fertilizers per day, I always got hybrids from hacked bags.

Hacked flowers: hacked flowers themselves--not the bags--were sterile(that is, they only ever produced white flowers) when bred with other hacks. And not only were they sterile, the kids from 2-parent sterile hacks were also sterile.
But...when I bred sterile-hacks with the non-sterile, hacked flower bags, the kid flowers regained their ability to produce hybrids again. And when I bred those kids, I got a ton of hybrids. I was even able to reproduce a legit blue rose from a hacked, sterile great-great-great-grandparent white rose! So it seems you can break the curse of sterile-hacked flowers, by breeding them with a non-sterile, unhacked flower, OR a non-sterile hacked flower bag.

so to summarize it up, here's what I found:

sterile hack + sterile hack = sterile hack. (Hacks and their kids will only ever produce sterile white flowers when they breed with each other.)

sterile hack + non-sterile hack flower bag = hybrid potential flower (As long as one hacked parent isn't sterile, these flowers and their kids revert back to being regular flowers in the game, and regain their hybrid producing potential)

sterile hack + non-sterile non-hack = hybrid potential flower (These flowers and their kids are considered regular flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids)

Hacked hybrid bag + Hacked hybrid bag = hybrid (None of the hybrid bags were sterile for me. They ONLY ever produced hybrids. It seems that hacked bags are only capable of producing hybrids, and no other colors. The kids of hacked bags will only produce hybrids when bred with each other)

Hacked hybrid bag + non-hacked hybrid = hybrid potential(These flowers and their kids are considered regular flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids)

Hacked non-hybrid bag + Hacked non-hybrid bag = ??? (I didn't test this, but because it's a bag, I'm only assuming it will be the same case as the Hacked hybrid bag)

tbh, I think it's really interesting how the update expanded on flower dynamics. I remember before a flower was just a flower, but now it looks like some real work has to be done to get authentic hybrids.

interesting write up!! have you tried copying legit hybrids and breeding them as well? or would that end up making them hacked hybrids as well?

from some quick googling though, i see that many people say they get hybrids from hacked hybrids as well. so honestly, maybe it's just luck at this point ://

I am thoroughly p'o because i bought 400 blue roses way back and like 80% of them are hacked. Why not just dupe them??? Like?? Duped hybrids still breed and i can attest to that but thats all i have to say on that bc i think its not allowed to be discussed on here. But yeah its really frustrating, if they liked the game they do it the ethical way because some people on here didn't even know hybrids existed before belltree. Ive had so many people ask me what carnations are alone. Its just not fair, and makes it way harder for people to have shops because there are some people that clone (again sorry bt staff lol) for hours to provide people flowers that will breed and get accused or suspected of hacking and get backlash because now more and more people assume there's no one that will genuinely dedicate their time like that

If I get any then I'll just consider myself lucky that my town is only white

I am thoroughly p'o because i bought 400 blue roses way back and like 80% of them are hacked. Why not just dupe them??? Like?? Duped hybrids still breed and i can attest to that but thats all i have to say on that bc i think its not allowed to be discussed on here. But yeah its really frustrating, if they liked the game they do it the ethical way because some people on here didn't even know hybrids existed before belltree. Ive had so many people ask me what carnations are alone. Its just not fair, and makes it way harder for people to have shops because there are some people that clone (again sorry bt staff lol) for hours to provide people flowers that will breed and get accused or suspected of hacking and get backlash because now more and more people assume there's no one that will genuinely dedicate their time like that

Well the duping glitch is patched so nobody can do that with their hacked hybrids, and there is still people who dedicate time to breeding hybrids themselves, some people have lots of them because hey, they played for some time and got more, or they got a lot from someone so it was faster to breed more.

(Sorry, can't really understand your post cause it's quite messy)

interesting write up!! have you tried copying legit hybrids and breeding them as well? or would that end up making them hacked hybrids as well?

from some quick googling though, i see that many people say they get hybrids from hacked hybrids as well. so honestly, maybe it's just luck at this point ://

Thanks! And yes I did! What I found was that since the parent of the dupe was legit, the kids were also legit, and could produce hybrids. Here's what I got on dupes:

dupe + dupe = dupe. (A hybrid that was bred with a dupe of itself or its kids always produced hybrids.)

dupe + sterile hack = hybrid potential.(A dupe hybrid that was bred with a sterile hack reverted back to a hybrid potential flower, ad is considered a normal flower by the game).

dupe + hacked non-sterile hybrid bag = hybrid potential.(These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

dupe + normal non-hack = hybrid potential (These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

For dupes, it looks like all results depend on the status of the origin-parent flower. If the original parent of the dupe was sterile, all the kids when bred with each other will also be sterile. If the origin parent was a hybrid potential, all dupes and their kids will be hybrid potentials. To find out if your origin parent is a sterile or not, just breed it with a dupe of itself, a minimum of three times. If all three breeding attempts result in white flowers, the parent dupe is sterile. But you can cure sterility in the kid flowers by breeding the sterile dupe flower with a regular flower, or hacked non-sterile flower, including another non-sterile dupe.

Thanks! And yes I did! What I found was that since the parent of the dupe was legit, the kids were also legit, and could produce hybrids. Here's what I got on dupes:

dupe + dupe = dupe. (A hybrid that was bred with a dupe of itself or its kids always produced hybrids.)

dupe + sterile hack = hybrid potential.(A dupe hybrid that was bred with a sterile hack reverted back to a hybrid potential flower, ad is considered a normal flower by the game).

dupe + hacked non-sterile hybrid bag = hybrid potential.(These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

dupe + normal non-hack = hybrid potential (These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

For dupes, it looks like all results depend on the status of the origin-parent flower. If the original parent of the dupe was sterile, all the kids when bred with each other will also be sterile. If the origin parent was a hybrid potential, all dupes and their kids will be hybrid potentials. To find out if your origin parent is a sterile or not, just breed it with a dupe of itself, a minimum of three times. If all three breeding attempts result in white flowers, the parent dupe is sterile. But you can cure sterility in the kid flowers by breeding the sterile dupe flower with a regular flower, or hacked non-sterile flower, including another non-sterile dupe.

Oh, so basically breeding hacked flowers with normal flowers cures them? Thanks! I'm adding this to the OP

Can you also add this Kemdi post to the original?

I hope I don't come off as being pretentious...
How did you do your experiments? I did some experiments too, and got a bunch of different results. With mine, the 1st statement was semi-true, but the second wasn't true at all.
With hacked flowers bags: these did breed hybrids, whether planted directly or with a shovel. All of the hacked bags I experimented with only bred other hybrids. I found that when I used more than three fertilizers per day at a time then they stop producing any flowers, but as long as I only used 3 fertilizers per day, I always got hybrids from hacked bags.

Hacked flowers: hacked flowers themselves--not the bags--were sterile(that is, they only ever produced white flowers) when bred with other hacks. And not only were they sterile, the kids from 2-parent sterile hacks were also sterile.
But...when I bred sterile-hacks with the non-sterile, hacked flower bags, the kid flowers regained their ability to produce hybrids again. And when I bred those kids, I got a ton of hybrids. I was even able to reproduce a legit blue rose from a hacked, sterile great-great-great-grandparent white rose! So it seems you can break the curse of sterile-hacked flowers, by breeding them with a non-sterile, unhacked flower, OR a non-sterile hacked flower bag.

so to summarize it up, here's what I found:

sterile hack + sterile hack = sterile hack. (Hacks and their kids will only ever produce sterile white flowers when they breed with each other.)

sterile hack + non-sterile hack flower bag = hybrid potential flower (As long as one hacked parent isn't sterile, these flowers and their kids revert back to being regular flowers in the game, and regain their hybrid producing potential)

sterile hack + non-sterile non-hack = hybrid potential flower (These flowers and their kids are considered regular flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids)

Hacked hybrid bag + Hacked hybrid bag = hybrid (None of the hybrid bags were sterile for me. They ONLY ever produced hybrids. It seems that hacked bags are only capable of producing hybrids, and no other colors. The kids of hacked bags will only produce hybrids when bred with each other)

Hacked hybrid bag + non-hacked hybrid = hybrid potential(These flowers and their kids are considered regular flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids)

Hacked non-hybrid bag + Hacked non-hybrid bag = ??? (I didn't test this, but because it's a bag, I'm only assuming it will be the same case as the Hacked hybrid bag)

tbh, I think it's really interesting how the update expanded on flower dynamics. I remember before a flower was just a flower, but now it looks like some real work has to be done to get authentic hybrids.

Back