• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what's with hacked hybrids? (some new info!)

I didn't think you could obtain hybrid bags in game, but apparently you can get them from Leif as a Weeding Day prize :eek:

Yeah, I once got a pink rose bag from him.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I also had that same question. Now I know hacked hybrids can't breed. I need to sell the ones I hacked to Reese.

Really? I always saw hackers with them, when regular players had them they said they got it from a hacker. Maybe I should pay more attention to the game...

I think it might also be just from leaf spawning in town when you have too many weeds. I don't remember well because it happened a while ago, but I clearly remember getting a pink rose bag.

I had absolutely no clue these were a thing! I mean, it obviously makes sense, it just never occurred to me that people would sell them here for some reason. Tbh I'm pretty sure, thinking about it now, I think I may have gotten some in the past without realising ;;

I think it might also be just from leaf spawning in town when you have too many weeds. I don't remember well because it happened a while ago, but I clearly remember getting a pink rose bag.

When Lief spawned in my second town because of too many weeds, all I got was a pink lily recorder. Was it the second time he spawned?

When Lief spawned in my second town because of too many weeds, all I got was a pink lily recorder. Was it the second time he spawned?

I don't know I don't remember well. It might have been him spawning or it might have been weeding day. He always give you something gardening related so I guess you can get it from both, I'm not sure though.

Leif gives out a bag of any hybrid (except the blue rose?) for picking up the weeds in your town on Weeding day and he can also give you one from picking up weeds in your town if your town is covered in them on a random day.

I didn't know find out about this until yesterday. Several days ago, while I was trying to breed orange roses...they would spawn nothing but white roses. I did a quick google search and answers were mixed. So I just assumed orange hybrids couldn't breed according to thonky. Now, I hadn't touched the game in awhile, forgive me, and I just got back into the swing of things. Then yesterday, I brought over some blue roses from my main to my second town to breed, and after time traveling for 2 weeks or more. One patch would produce nothing but white roses...again. I did another however more lengthy google search, and it's possible they might be hacked. This has gotten me paranoid, I am scared they are mixed with my own bred hybrids. I don't want that trash in my town, and I definitely don't want to give anyone that trash. Sadly, it seems the only way one can tell if it's truly hacked or not is to breed it several times.... Which I have done, and used my weed killer... my feet. I have to say, it's weird forcingly killing hybrids. But what else can you do? :/

As for the hybrid bags, you get them from Leif during Weeding Day. I'm not sure, but I think you get them if you or your team score poorly?

Leif gives out a bag of any hybrid (except the blue rose?) for picking up the weeds in your town on Weeding day and he can also give you one from picking up weeds in your town if your town is covered in them on a random day.
You can get blue rose in bags. I bought a full set which contained each hybrid, off here a while back...I can't remember if a gold rose bag was included with that. I might need to dig into my secret storage and check. I still have them.

But who knows. They might be like the infamous letter sets, which you could only obtain randomly from letters' from villagers. I've heard this was patched.

Last edited:
I didn't know find out about this until yesterday. Several days ago, while I was trying to breed orange roses...they would spawn nothing but white roses. I did a quick google search and answers were mixed. So I just assumed orange hybrids couldn't breed according to thonky. Now, I hadn't touched the game in awhile, forgive me, and I just got back into the swing of things. Then yesterday, I brought over some blue roses from my main to my second town to breed, and after time traveling for 2 weeks or more. One patch would produce nothing but white roses...again. I did another quick google search, and it's possible they might be hacked. This has gotten me paranoid, I am scared they are mixed with my own bred hybrids. I don't want that trash in my town, and I definitely don't want to give anyone that trash. Sadly, it seems the only way one can tell if it's truly hacked or not is to breed it several times.... Which I have done, and used my weed killer... my feet. I have to say, it's weird forcingly killing hybrids. But what else can you do. :/

As for the hybrid bags, you get them from Leif during Weeding Day. I'm not sure, but I think you get them if you or your team score poorly.

That's sad, I'm sorry about that :( think it's best to breed your own orange roses from the normal flowers and then go from there.

As I see the hybrid flower bags aren't only from hacking, I'm guessing that they will breed.

That's sad, I'm sorry about that :( think it's best to breed your own orange roses from the normal flowers and then go from there.
I've done that now. But honestly, I am still scared. :( It's possible I might still have some "hacked" hybrids lurking, hidding in plain sight... It's like an itch you can't scratch.

Last edited:
Honestly hacked hybrids don't really bother me but what I really don't get it all these new hacked villagers I've seen on Tumblr when looking for dream towns to visit.

Honestly hacked hybrids don't really bother me but what I really don't get it all these new hacked villagers I've seen on Tumblr when looking for dream towns to visit.

That's ROM hacking. The hacked villagers only show up on their screen, if you visit their dream town they won't show up.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Alright, ran the tests and results are in the OP!

I'm sorry to hear people have gotten hacked flowers accidentally :( I suppose it's too risky to trade online if you're planning to breed which is so unfortunate...

Thank you for running the tests.

So uhh I got a mountain of hacked hybrids in my second town and nothing to do with them...if anyone wants them lemme know

Also, I believe there really isn't a problem with hacked gold roses since they naturally don't breed.

:C Oh hacked hybrids certainly don't sound like fun, I only have a few myself that were naturally/by chance spawned. Hoping people don't get anymore of these D:

Also, hacked carnations and normal hacked flowers produce white versions of theirselves too. Hacked jacob's ladders don't breed at all.

Also, hacked carnations and normal hacked flowers produce white versions of theirselves too. Hacked jacob's ladders don't breed at all.

That is interesting! I didn't consider that white is the hybrid colour of pink/red carnations - so in this case, those hacked wouldn't matter (unless you're trying to spawn more pink/red)

You do know that you can't actually breed Jacob's Ladders, don't you? The only way to get them is to have a perfect town. They tend to spawn on cliffs .

Back