• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what's with hacked hybrids? (some new info!)

~Unicorn~

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Jack
Leaf Ticket Easter Egg
Coco
Black Feather
Peach (Fruit)
Apple (Fruit)
Isabelle
New Leaf Token
Pinky
Edit: I ran tests, with both hacked hybrids and hacked hybrid flower bags, and here are the results after trying twice:

-Hacked hybrids only produce white versions of theirselves.
-Hacked hybrid flower bags planted seem to not produce any flowers at all...
-Hacked carnations only breed white ones
-Normal flowers only breed white ones
Remember that gold roses and jacob's ladders naturally don't breed.
Thanks! And yes I did! What I found was that since the parent of the dupe was legit, the kids were also legit, and could produce hybrids. Here's what I got on dupes:

dupe + dupe = dupe. (A hybrid that was bred with a dupe of itself or its kids always produced hybrids.)

dupe + sterile hack = hybrid potential.(A dupe hybrid that was bred with a sterile hack reverted back to a hybrid potential flower, ad is considered a normal flower by the game).

dupe + hacked non-sterile hybrid bag = hybrid potential.(These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

dupe + normal non-hack = hybrid potential (These and their kids are considered normal flowers by the game, and can potentially produce hybrids.)

For dupes, it looks like all results depend on the status of the origin-parent flower. If the original parent of the dupe was sterile, all the kids when bred with each other will also be sterile. If the origin parent was a hybrid potential, all dupes and their kids will be hybrid potentials. To find out if your origin parent is a sterile or not, just breed it with a dupe of itself, a minimum of three times. If all three breeding attempts result in white flowers, the parent dupe is sterile. But you can cure sterility in the kid flowers by breeding the sterile dupe flower with a regular flower, or hacked non-sterile flower, including another non-sterile dupe.
Thanks to kemdi for that info!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm sorta confused. I keep hearing from others here that "are the hybrids hacked?" or "hacked hybrids won't breed".

Is this true? What's going on?

Last edited:
From what I've been told, if you hack flowers into your own town and water them, they will breed white flowers only. To avoid this, plant the flowers from seed. (Ex. my friend brings 'black rose bags' into their town and plants them in-game). If you have other questions feel free to PM! c:

People have been scammed into buying rare hybrids, like blue roses and purple pansies. Despite been watered and fertilized every day, these hybrids refused to spawn more hybrids, since they weren't legitimate.

If you decide to buy hybrids, buy them from someone you can really trust.

Or better yet, try to breed them on your own.

Last edited:
I actually only discovered hacked hybrids were a thing recently (some time this summer) but yeah, hacked hybrids will not breed more hybrids. Idk how it applies to all flowers, but I heard people on thr forums this summer complain about hacked blue roses because apparently they only spawn white roses.

Yes, they apparently will not breed - the mechanics of this I don't know.
Take caution if you're trading online!

That's interesting... I guess it makes sense for blue roses/other flowers that have difficult breeding steps. But for not as rare hybrids that's weird that that would happen. It's hard to tell who hacked their flowers though because people buy from others and most likely won't keep track of flowers that they breed/flower that were brought from others. :(

^ yea, that's the sad truth.
i kind of always wondered how those big shops that sell so many unorderables got so many of those items. like where did they come from lol
i stopped buying things from the forums for acnl a while ago anyhow ^^;

Yeah, hacked flowers can inadvertently get passed between traders :( Once they're in the cycle, I don't know if you could distinguish them between regulars.

I never had to worry about hacked hybrids. As a legitimate hybreeder, my hybrids are always real.

Do we know that hacked hybrids always produce a white flower or are there instances where hacked flowers don't produce hybrids at all (or flowers of any sort)? I'm wondering whether some hybrids I bought were hacked because it's been dayssss of watering just those two and I haven't been able to get anything out of them :/

Do we know that hacked hybrids always produce a white flower or are there instances where hacked flowers don't produce hybrids at all (or flowers of any sort)? I'm wondering whether some hybrids I bought were hacked because it's been dayssss of watering just those two and I haven't been able to get anything out of them :/

I'm thinking I should actually test this. I didn't really know anything about them not breeding cause I don't breed hybrids anymore.

But what I'm guessing is that if the hybrid wasn't spawned from breeding, it's coded not to be able to breed more hybrids. Just guessing cause if they weren't created from breeding, how should they breed more?

I said breed waaay too much in one reply....

Last edited:
No wonder... that explains the lack of new hybrids... I was wondering why only white flowers were being produced. Oh well. :p

Dang, I'd tried for like a week to get blue roses to spawn more blue roses, and I thought I just needed fertilizer to make the white ones stop. I don't remember where I obtained those ones honestly!

I have real ones now, and while I can hack, I plan on getting hybrids legitimately now in case I ever need to get rid of any.

I would guess that the game can detect when you force spawn hybrids from means that aren't via breeding.

I would also guess that hybrids hacked as items would act as normal, since the game would not know then if you had picked a legitimate hybrid, or "made" one.

It might actually be unintentional. Flowers seem to save the parent plants when they are created through breeding. So by forcing a plant to spawn, it would have no parent plant data and the game defaults the offspring to white.

Last edited:
Alright, so as hacking hybrids into the game obviously only spawns white flowers, no need to test that. What I'm wanting to test is spawning the flower bag versions (like blue-rose bag) and planting them, to see if they will breed normally. Would be great if they did, but I'm not sure.

i honestly didn't know there were like hybrid flower bags lol
whenever i walk into leif's shop there would always be just normal regular flower bags ^^;

whenever i walk into leif's shop there would always be just normal regular flower bags ^^;

I didn't think you could obtain hybrid bags in game, but apparently you can get them from Leif as a Weeding Day prize :eek:

I didn't think you could obtain hybrid bags in game, but apparently you can get them from Leif as a Weeding Day prize :eek:
You can only get them by hacking.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Which is why I'm gonna test them and see if they also breed white flowers

Back