• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

The Barack Obama Thread

Haskell

Saving for a username change KEK
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
0000-0000-0000
What are your thoughts on past two-term serving president, Barack Obama?

He did a decent job.

It was nowhere near perfect and nowhere near as good as I wanted but hey, it was better than McCain or Romney.

I didn't get why he was known to be a wonderful public
speaker. He said "um" every 5 seconds of a sentence.

He's a genuinely cool dude tbh and so is Michelle Obama. He might've not been perfect, but at least he had good intentions and wanted to do right by the people. I never questioned his sincerity.

Regardless of how much he actually accomplished, I always felt that he was a source of inspiration and hope. He showed respect and compassion for all of his constituents (and the world) instead of casting half the population as his enemy.

I honestly believe that he put others before himself and tried making the country better for everyone

Last edited:
To quote someone:
People's love affair with Obama is mainly rooted in sensationalism and celebrity worship rather than actual analysis of his policies.

Everyone loves Obama! Meaning everyone excuses the fact he...

• bombed seven nations which caused families having to literally sleep in the same room so if there’s a drone strike they would die together

Joe Biden is trash, too, and I should bring up what he did since we're talking about Obama and he's pretty relevant and gets the same "best VP ever!!!!" treatment BS. Got a bit tired of bullet points though, so let's switch back to paragraph form.

So to start, I'd like to remind y'all that Biden was instrumental in the very first steps which the US took towards neoliberal authoritarianism, back before 9/11.

Biden drafted the 1995 Omnibus Counter-terrorism Act in the wake of the Oklahoma City bombings, which created the legal framework for terrorism offences. It allowed federal authorities to selectively enforce that framework according to the subjective beliefs of those accused, it provided for the setting up of secret courts, it relaxed the laws governing wire taps, and it authorized detention without trial.

He claimed credit six years later when the PATRIOT Act(which he also voted for) was passed, saying during debates that it was "my bill." In many ways, the 1995 bill was more crucial than the formalization and extension of that near-limitless remit and all that flowed from it - from mass surveillance to rendition and torture, to Guantanamo Bay - in the aftermath of the atrocity at the World Trade Center. Ironically, the citation for the Presidential Medal of Freedom could not be more apt for Biden’s stalwart advancement of the US military-surveillance state’s interests: “An especially meritorious contribution to the security or national interests of the United States”.

Also, he's responsible for the bill that stops student debt from being cleared by declaring bankruptcy. Unable to deal with you student debt? Biden’s the reason why you’ll carry it with you for the rest of your life. Speaking of banks... he's got a close relationship with credit cards.

He was one of five Democrats in March 2005 who voted against a proposal to require credit card companies to provide more effective warnings to consumers about the consequences of paying only the minimum amount due each month. Obama voted for it.

Biden also went against Obama to help defeat amendments aimed at strengthening protections for people forced into bankruptcy who have large medical debts or are in the military; Biden argued that the amendments were unnecessary because the legislation already carved out exemptions for those debtors.

This summarizes both cases quite nicely.

And he was one of four Democrats who sided with Republicans to defeat an effort, supported by Obama, to shift responsibility in certain cases from debtors to the predatory lenders who helped push them into bankruptcy.”

Anyways, my point is folks latch on to the most minuscule progressive notions of politicians and refuse to actually examine the damage they do, and it's infuriating. We flush our chances at democracy down the drain further if we allow political narratives to be dominated by nice old men getting all choked up after being given a medal or cracking jokes on TV. It all comes back down to this bizarre preoccupation with how nice and polite someone seems rather than the content of their ideas and their overall goals.

- - - Post Merge - - -

I guess I didn't explicitly say it, but to answer the question: I'm not a fan.

I miss him a lot. Like others said, he may not have been perfect. no such thing as a perfect president. I know for a fact that because he has brown skin made him the opposite of perfect in the racist's eye. but in his time he was a great president and did well considering the circumstances. by circumstances I mean the fact that the weight as the first black president in the United States and how much backlash from the white supremists both inside and outside congress certainly made his job much more difficult than any white president.

now that the backlash has gotten so bad that the white supremacists managed to stick their man in the White House, they're doing everything they can to undo obamas legacy, regardless of wether it helps Americans or not. but no matter how much they try to undo, won't change the fact that he was there.

lol the Brewster Cafe's topic are mostly from politician issue. but i do like him over Trump

I typically see like 2 or 3 politics threads over the 20 displayed. idk what everyone is talking about that politics thread are everywhere/ are taking over Brewster.

Love him to pieces, honestly.

Yeah. Why couldn't he had at least another term if all the people could do was elect Trump :l I mean yeah nobody is perfect and unless Bern would actually win at one point they'd never have a hippie pre over there.

Last edited:
I feel like he was more of a celebrity than a president (he was certainly the most televised president). He didn't accomplish all that much in his first term, and in his second, he enacted an awful healthcare system that raised the cost of healthcare for many, rather than making it more affordable. I also disapprove of the cuts in military funding he decided to make, but my biggest gripe by far is his healthcare act. I'm not saying he accomplished nothing, I just feel like we saw a lot more hope than positive change.

deported more people than any other president back to the violence they fled from

This, I do approve of. We need to know who is showing up in our country. I'm tired of people defending illegal immigration and making up softer language terms like "undocumented citizens" to make it sound less harmful. Illegal immigrants fill a ton of lower wage jobs, willing to pay them cash under the table (especially here in Texas) that could be going to our poorer Americans. Also, fun fact, the vast majority of foreign born prison inmates are illegal. Why are we housing, feeding and taking care of these people, rather than deporting them (41,554 out of 45,493 for those of you that don't feel like clicking the link)? I have no idea.

I understand that people flee from things like violent drug cartels that behead people in the streets. I get it, life in Mexico is reaaally hard in some parts, same in parts of Central America and South America. However, if they go through the same legal process as everyone else that wants to become a citizen a) they won't be holding up people that worked their asses off for a chance to come here, b) they can have a higher paying job, a bank account, they can get loans for the things they need, etc. and most importantly c) THEY GET TO STAY.

I will say, I did think that the Republicans in Congress were very unfair to him.
I think this comment, made by Representative Joe Wilson from South Carolina on September 9, 2009, says it all:

Back