• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Need Help With Using My 3DS NFC Reader/Writer

Yugi Moto

Super Special Awesome!
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Silver Mailbox
Mailbox
So I just got my nfc reader/writer in today from china, plugged in the AA batteries, made sure it was up to date, turned it on, and then scanned my amiibo card when wisp asked for it. Every time I do however I keep getting this message from wisp:

"The amiibo you've used isn't compatible with this game"

Now I know that's not true because these are legit amiibo cards I've bought from toys r us & from ebay in the past. So why isn't it working? Is the nfc reader/writer i'm using faulty? I thought amiibo cards and nfc readers were not region locked? Any help is greatly appreciated I was so looking forward to this package for two weeks only to find I can't use it & it's really frustrating :(

Last edited:
Ty for the help nenya. After reading your link & with trial and error I eventually got to the part where it said to follow the instruction manual. So I did that & after downloading all the files for series 1-4 and uploading them to my amiibo reader it now seems to work. Weird do all of them do this or just the version I have? Mine isn't a hockey puck shape it's more of a square shape.

Last edited:
Sounds like you bought a Chinese knockoff. While yes, the amiibo cards and NFC reader/writer are region free. The official NFC reader/writer itself is locked to Nintendo products only. It can not be used on any other device other than the 2DS, 3DS, and 3DS XL. I own the official NFC reader/writer myself, and no, you don't need to set up a date on it, and you certainly don't need to upload files to it....that's not even an option. I googled the knockoff in question....and no, it doesn't come with a USB cable either.

Last edited:
Oh dear I hadn't even thought about it being a knockoff. That would certainly explain a lot. Luckily it works & it did come with a usb cable. It looks like I might have wasted $20 and will have to look for the real one. Everywhere I looked though I couldn't find it being sold anywhere. I might have to order it from japan on ebay or something. What do you think I should do?

Everywhere I looked though I couldn't find it being sold anywhere. I might have to order it from japan on ebay or something. What do you think I should do?
I had to do the same. I originally ordered my NFC reader/writer off of Amiami along with other amiibo related goods, but sadly they no longer accept orders for it. The only other website I can think of that do, along with a decent price would be HLJ: https://hlj.com/product/NTD851967 However, you would need to wait roughly 4 weeks for the item to come in stock after the order is confirmed. I've used HLJ many times in the past, I would recommend them if you are patient.

I'm not sure what country you live in, but if it's the States or Canada. I don't think it would be too difficult to find?

Last edited:
States. Yea I checked both websites, that one discontinued them i guess and the other the wait time is far too long. I might have to just eat the bullet on this one and fork over the extra cash. I've checked everywhere online including all the major retailers & they're all out of stock online & no free pickup available for any of them. I'm assuming that means they're out of stock in store as well? Honestly I'd rather just pay like $10 more just to have it in like a week rather than 4-6. I'm surprised they are so hard to find I wouldn't think the demand would be that high for them.

Well, a great majority of people have, or have upgraded to the New 3DS by now unlike you and me. Anyway, I wish you good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your help :)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I just ended up paying like $10 more for one in the States so I don't have to be bothered anymore about this and can get it relatively fast. Thanks everyone much appreciated

Back