Looking for suggestions/help to learn to draw

YunaMoon

Iced Coffee Addict
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Easter Egg
Yoshi Easter Egg
So I want to learn how to draw even though I totally suck at it! But I need to have a source of tbt income.

So! What kinds of things should I be drawing as a newbie?

Any tips or tricks to what I should be doing?

I'll post as I work here, I'm starting this plan tomorrow

<3

Well the best advice I can give is draw whatever gives you inspiration, nothing is harder in my opinion than trying to draw something that you have no interest in. Draw with lots of different stuff! You have a traditional wooden pencil? Mechanical pencil? Pens? Crayons? try them all see the difference in how to work and what results they give you! Don't be to critical of your supplies. You don't need 100 dollar pens to make great work! Try not to compare you art to others but always look at others artwork (even if its not your style!) Look at anime, realism, cubism, cartoon styles like teen titans or Steven universe, look at old renaissance paintings and try to replicate it or redraw it in our own style or flair! they can give inspiration or color combinations you haven't thought about. Watch speed paints on youtube (they have traditional works its not all digital if you don't have access to that yet.) they can show you new ways of going through the steps, or new techniques all together! Dont let anyone tell you you cant draw something! (there's a lot of bad vibes around "cringe" artwork from new artists, don't listen to them there's no such thing as cringe artwork we all start somewhere, and you shouldn't feel bad about drawing what you want) You wanna draw a rainbow fox with wings horns that spits fire and candy do it! if you wanna draw 40 thousand bust shots of your favorite villager go for it! Most important is to just keep doing it. It seems really discouraging to be drawing for awhile and see no change, that's okay, sometimes you will get stuck in a rut and there are ways to get out of them (Id go further in that but this about how to get started not how to continue) but you will never get better if you don't keep at it! sometimes you wont be in the mood to draw and that's fine! take breaks! take a whole hiatus if you feel like it but as long as you keep going at it you will improve slowly and surely!

It can be difficult to not compare yourself to others on this site, because a lot of times you get a certain amount of tbt depending on how others judge your art. I personally have a really bad habit of comparing my art to others' all the time because someone else might make 300 tbt for one piece and I only make about 50 tbt.

Though it's good to just not worry about others' art and how much better it might be. Everyone has their own unique style, and I guess some people just gravitate more toward one style, but it's good not to copy others. Having your own unique style makes it that much better.

when drawing or making something, you should ALWAYS look at reference pics. Unless you have some good memory or you wanted to challenge yourself, I would use them. Step-by-step tutorials are fine, I guess, but I would feel a whole lot better if I did the piece myself with no vectoring or help with how to draw something. Again, ref pics are your friend.

I'm in the middle of creating a collage of clouds and waterfalls rn since I want to see all my fav pics there w/o having to scroll through every single picture to find a good one. I would recommend also learning about your brushes, and finding out what they're used for and how to use them correctly. This all applies to both digitally and traditionally making your drawings.

As for whether or not society will accept your art, it's really entirely up to them what they like in terms of art style.

Thank you so much everyone

I ended up not attempting anything today lol

What should I start with tomorrow?

Well I started drawing when I saw a character from my manga book that I thought looked really cute :) you should find a character or drawing that you really like, and try to draw something like it/try to draw it. That's how I started off drawing, then I found some YouTube videos on drawing anime/manga characters and learned off of those. I don't really follow tutorials (I should be lol) I usually just draw what I like, and eventually learn some drawing styles and stuff I like.

One important thing I'm going to tell you is that drawing takes years to become perfect at. if you see people on YouTube making those videos about their drawing progress since they started until now, most have been drawing for more than 3 years. Some draw for 10, some even more! Took me a while to realize that I'm not gonna be the best until I practice hard for a couple of years. Expect that too.

Last edited:
Hmmm.... I don't want to sound discouraging, but drawing is an extremely time consuming activity that you need to devote an enormous amount of time to. I think drawing is extremely rewarding- and testing. But if you're going to start drawing it has to honestly be because it's something you have an interest in, if you're only going to draw because you want tbt, and not because you WANT to draw, not to be rude, but you'll never get anywhere. However if saying you want to draw purely for the sake of getting tbt is a joke, I'll give you some serious suggestions. I consider myself a beginner also, but maybe I always will.

When you start to draw it will be extremely tempting to think "yeah I'll start with chibis and work my way up" wrong! don't do something silly like this! starting to draw like this will hinder you extremely. You'll form bad habits and set yourself back YEARS. Or atleast in my experience it will. For the first year you start to draw, your art is not likely to look good, and this is how it's meant to be. But you need to keep slaving away and improving every day even if you aren't happy with what you got out. Instead of starting with chibis, I would personally suggest finding items in your house, posing them, and trying to draw them as best as possible. Learning how to draw from life is a huge boon. This is how you use references, references are how you learn to draw consistently, and that's the goal. The best foundation for learning how to draw is not how to use your hands, it's how to use your eyes.

I suggest you buy a mechanical pencil, and always try have a sketchpad near by. Try draw things you see anytime you get a minute. Try draw things quickly also. I heartily suggest life drawing classes, I found some cheap in a community college nearby when I was teenager, but it might not be available for you. You can find pose generators online that you can set to a timer. Generally you want to try set the framework in a matter of seconds. 90 seconds is generally the time alotted for gesture drawing.

This is so you can adjust to looking at something and very quickly understanding how to draw it. If you can master this, you've half the battle won. At this stage, your art might still look pretty bad, but you'll be building up speed and understanding.

Drawing chibis however is fine! you can totally do that, BUT! you must supplement this with figure studies and life drawing. If I were you, I'd look at things you like online and try draw them.

As I said in the start, art and drawing... it's a pretty big thing to start, and very intimidating, but just make it part of your daily routine. Burn out is inevitable, and sadness when you don't improve is also a given, but this is valuable too. Having something you love enough to become upset over like this... I think there is good to that also.

Sorry if my post didn't make much sense, I kinda wrote it as if I was talking to my 13 year old self.

Back