• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Beetle Bells

?

• Total voters
I'm going to try to get 400k in the same amount
of time I usually get 200-300k tonight.

"Don't believe me. Just watch."

When I used to catch palm-tree beetles and sharks on the island, I would get around 200k or something...idk it was long ago

i dont have the bell bloom ordinance on, and i get over 300k every trip to the island i make~
i suggest hitting any fish that aren't sharks or big fish with your net so different fish can spawn, which lets sharks spawn as well,
also the time beetles come out is at 5 pm but there MOST likely to come out at 7 pm or under

Post 5pm up to 8am the next morning I'll take about 420K on a trip - this is with bell boom on, equates to around 340k without bell boom. So roughly in line with a lot of players.
It takes 40 mins & includes one tour. If I want a quicker turnaround I'll keep lower priced fish & bugs.

I've set the island up with approx. 3 palm trees either side, none due south. Unlike a lot of players I've kept the middle full of flowers with a central path to run up & down, (just sell the Emperor butterflies to the little girl, 125 bells a time, mounts up) & one central tree (up north and to the side) for the giant stag/scarab/rainbow stag. This set up works for me & looks good.

I don't have the bell ordinance, usually get around 200k-300k, depending on what I catch

Post 5pm up to 8am the next morning I'll take about 420K on a trip - this is with bell boom on, equates to around 340k without bell boom. So roughly in line with a lot of players.
It takes 40 mins & includes one tour. If I want a quicker turnaround I'll keep lower priced fish & bugs.

I've set the island up with approx. 3 palm trees either side, none due south. Unlike a lot of players I've kept the middle full of flowers with a central path to run up & down, (just sell the Emperor butterflies to the little girl, 125 bells a time, mounts up) & one central tree (up north and to the side) for the giant stag/scarab/rainbow stag. This set up works for me & looks good.

The set up does seem it works really well. Do you have a picture of your island?

When I used to go to the island for bug hunting/fishing i also had the bell boom ordinance so I usually made like 400k-500k per trip, though I'm sure I wouldn't make that much now since I switched to the beautiful town ordinance. That's ok though, I have plenty of bells in the ABD. ;)

Last edited:
Just seen Raskell's post - sorry no pic of island (never taken pics in acnl, and don't know how to load up - I know I could find out).
But a description:
one fruit tree north and to the right of the central path way. Flowers cover centre part, red on one side, white on the other. (to make it easier for spotting orchid mantis). Two tile wide path (usually covered in fruit baskets, storage!), runs down the middle of the centre part, path bordered with say purple violets. Use this to run up and down, to circle island.
Approx 3 palms each side, none on the south.

Markers - a shell buried one space from the front of each palm tree. Marker for the fruit tree is a different coloured flower.
Stand on marker to swing net, makes bug catching easier & faster.
You can use the shadow the trees make (stand just outside of the shadow to swing net) - I use this on tours, but its clearer & hence faster to use the star shape to stand on.

Edit: you have to catch the butterflies, (& sell to Leila) but unwanted bugs on fruit tree just scare off, similarly hermit crabs scare. No need to catch unless you want to.
Fruit tree worth having - giant stag, rainbow stag, scarab, lantern & oak silk moth.
I farm birdwings (over 245mm) to use in other town's bug offs. (explained how this works ages ago in another thread).

http://www.belltreeforums.com/showthread.php?418393-The-Bug-Off-Which-bug-is-best
post #3

Last edited:
Wow it's been a while since I caught beetles for bells :x I cut down all trees except for the palm trees on the beech and I only keep gold beetles or beetles that are worth the most. I think about 300k - 350k sounds about right. I find beetles easier and more profitable than sharks? But idk it's been a while so I'm not sure if I'm remembering correctly.

Back