• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you factor in popularity when choosing your villagers?

I usually factor in if I personally think they?re cute or not. I keep a few popular ones around so I can show off though lmao, but only the ones I think are nice. I don?t care about tiers at all

I really only factor in whether or not I like the villager, their personality, their house exterior/interior, and whether or not I think they’re cute- but I have canceled out a lot of the dreamies I did want because I don’t want to have every single villager that everybody else has. But it’s okay because I have a long list of villagers that are dreamies for me, and majority are ones not often sought out, so I’m happy, because I still get villagers I want, while not having to worry about whether or not my town looks the same as everybody else’s.

However, popularity shouldn’t really matter if you enjoy the villager. That’s how I feel about Merengue, Molly, and a couple others. I love them too much to care if somebody sees me or my town as clich?, what it comes down to is your own happiness with this game and nobody should judge you for enjoying “overrated” villagers. Love whatever villagers you want!

Last edited:
Nope. :3 I don't factor in popularity when it comes to choosing villagers that live in my town. Just choosing villagers that I like and leaving it at that. I did experiment in the town that I currently have with villagers that I never had before with the exception of Eugene and Rooney. Personally like keeping both Eugene and Rooney, so I've always had them whenever I restarted my town.

not at all. when i was still getting villagers online it was easier to get popular ones and i'd end up w a more popular villager i wanted instead of a tier 5 villager i was looking for initially, but it's not like i thought "ok mardhal is popular so i want him"

Absolutely not. For both Hawthorn and Sunfall I straight up went for villagers I actually liked. It just happens that a decent amount of them (Lucky, Marshal, Fauna, ect) were indeed in the higher tiers.

I just choose whichever villagers I like! I have a few favourites that are popular by coincidence, but a lot of them aren?t very popular at all loool. It makes them a bit easier to get though! :p

Not at all. I like who I like, regardless of whether they're popular or not. Incidentally, very few of my favorite villagers are popular.

I kinda do. Having more than one from tier 1 and/or 2-3 from tier 2 bothers me. I dislike doing things everyone does, walking on paths that has been walked over by other players hundreds of times. Not a hipster, but a fan of uniqueness. I'm sure everyone is bored of seeing same villagers in every dream town anyway. I'm ok with having as many as unpopular/"ugly" villagers that I like though

Last edited:
other than marshal, not really. marshal is far from one of my favorites but i keep him around for the clout lmao. plus i've had him so long i can't really get used to any other smug villager (i had julian as well and i couldn't stand having two smugs at the same time). everyone else i pick because they speak to me in some way. most of them just happen to be tier 2/3 villagers, but im also attached to gabi and am planning on acquiring gaston sometime soon.

Not really. Then that they happen to be Tier 1-2 is pretty random imo lol.

I just feel the higher tier ones had more work to them when it comes to art and design. I mean you just don't draw a kid hippo and expect people to like it lol.

No. I love all the villagers in my town and at least half of them aren't popular.

No, but I do think that the more popular villagers tend to have more appealing designs and that's what ultimately factors into their popularity.

lol no. but if one suddenly moved into my town and i didn't like them i'd keep them around, like arturia said, for the clout and to flex on people because i have no life. but also for that sweet #cashmoney for when they're moving and i can auction them.

sort of, but in the opposite way. i don't seek out popular villagers, but since i was looking for a particular species, i stayed away from the more popular ones, like i don't expect ankha to be easy to get for my cat town, so i looked for tabby instead, and i gave up on my dream of an all-dog town that covered all of the personality types because shep is so popular and he's the ONLY smug dog

Nah, I just choose whatever villagers I like, based on past experiences, looks and personality. I have some popular villagers in my town, but I didn't choose them because of that. I mean, they got popular for a reason right?

I do, but probably not in the way one would think. If a villager is popular, they are more expensive to obtain. Since I'm not thrilled with cycling until I get the villager I want, I will most likely trade for villagers on the forums. So far I've tried to make a list of villagers I want and steer away from picking popular villagers due to costs.

Back