• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Do you factor in popularity when choosing your villagers?

No. I have some favorites from previous games (I invited Midge from my campsite because I loved her in ACGC), but I've kept most of my starters and have no plans on evicting anyone. If everyone had the same group, it would be a pretty boring game, IMO.

Not at all. I just don?t understand how some aren?t as popular

My villagers i chose by both what i thought looked cool and who came in my town.

No. I really don't care how popular a villager is. Ultimately, popularity only affects me in regards to how much it'll cost to buy an amiibo card or adopt a villager here.

At the beginning I wanted Marshal because I wanted to be 'cool' and feel 'special', but then the little mallow grew on me; bc of how kind and thoughtful he was. He's the only villager that sends me random letters checking on me, gives the best presents, or just sends random sweet thoughts. I'm extremely attached to him now. <3 He's the one villager that feels like an individual to me, not just a model and some stamp-printed AI coding.

- - - Post Merge - - -

But generally no, it doesn't, I get them if I just like them.

no, not really - i wanted popular villagers a few months back but grew close to a a bunch of villagers cause they were so sweet. if they happen to be popular, so be it. i have marshal, bluebear, and ankha who are top tier but i just like them<3

I never cared for the popularity of a villager! I went more for cuteness mainly and the personality of the villager.

i don't care at all about popularity or tiers, most of the villagers that are my favorites or the ones i think are the cutest are considered "low tier" which always makes me a little sad

Absolutely not! I choose them based on their design and personality, it doesn't really make sense to me choosing a villager just because everyone likes him

I simply choose whoever I like. I think some people will actively avoid popular villagers, though I don't really care either way. I really like Lolly and I also like Nate. I liked them before I was even knew their popularity.

What I do when I start a new town or just want to shake-up the line up in an already established town is make a list that includes at least 2 from each personality. Then I narrow it down to 10 villagers. This is when I consider how popular these final-cuts are. I understand why there are towns full of top-tier villagers but I don’t want my line-up to be so cookie cutter. If I didn’t branch out and try villagers no one ever talked about I wouldn’t have gotten to know Louie, the best gorilla. Or Wade, the laziest and silliest of penguins.

So while I don’t mind which villagers other people have, I want to try out the low-tier trash and maybe find some gems. Of course I will always end up with a couple high-tier villagers too - they’re high-tier for a reason. ;)

Tbh, I don't care about popularity. I could have all tier 1 villagers in my town if I wanted because I have a lot of their Amiibo cards, but I genuinely love a lot of the mid-tier and unpopular villagers more, and I either don't find some of the more popular ones as appealing or I found them kind of boring once they're in my town. I love how Merengue and Tia look, but I found the interactions with them kind of boring (although I would still have them in my town, if I were allowed more villagers). Now I have a less popular normal, Gayle, in my town and I have had many interesting interactions with her, AND I find her just as cute!

I think I would actually prefer to have mostly less popular villagers, just because I feel like it makes my town a little more unique. Tbh it's actually very consistent with my character to prefer less desirable characters, I've always loved the misfit, underdog, and/or average joe vibe.

My favorite popular villagers though (tier 1 & 2) are Zucker, Marina, Shep, Muffy, Merengue, Tia, & Dobie

I also really like a lot of the Sanrio characters!

Not at all. Some of my villagers are popular, some aren't and others are kind of in between. Design is what matters to me

Popularity doesnt really matter for me, its just if I find their design appealing or I just like them as a whole ^w^ If their popular then I dont really mind because I like most of their designs anyways.

No, I don't like or hate villagers based on popularity; I mainly go by design, personality, and sentimental value/good past experiences. I love Marshal but had no idea he was popular when I first liked him.

Back