• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Do you factor in popularity when choosing your villagers?

nope! i tried to pick villagers that i find cute and has certain house exteriors as well since i'm trying to house match c: if it happens they're popular, then most likely it just means everyone else finds them cute too.

I have most tier 6 in my main village. Really doesn't matter as long as I like them. I'm surprised that Tutu & Bianca are so low on the tiers!

I really don't care about popularity, some of my permanent residents just happen to be popular before I learned they were popular.
Rather, variety plays a big part in how I choose my villagers (e.g no more than 2 villagers of the same personality/specie no matter how much I like some villagers' designs)
Having nice houses helps, but I'd rather not have 2 villagers with kitchen interior. I want each of them to have their own role that cannot be replaced by anyone else in my town.

Last edited:
Nope, I pick the ones I like. For example, I love having my Teddy in town, he's such a joy to have around.

The tier list is just for setting prices for selling isn't it?

It doesn't really factor in one way or the other for me. I have quite a few villagers I love in my town who aren't high tier, but I also have Julian and Ankha, but I don't care that everyone has them because they're my favorite. I only really care about what makes me happy. And which villagers fit the theme of my town, which is another important part.

No. I don't look at the lists when deciding villagers. I choose them based on how I like them, not someone else. Sometimes, I look at the lists to see where my villagers rank, and I'm often surprised that they aren't very high. Then I assume it's better to not look at the tiers for choosing what villager I like.

I used to care about a villager's popularity. If they are not well known, I won't get them in my town. I just wanted to be like all the other people who had these villagers. Nowadays I care about what I like about them. I didn't like Lyman at first when he moved in, but over time I started to like that cute face. Additionally he's the lowest tier villager I have in town and I don't mind if he is a low tier.

Nopppe not at all everyone in my first town smashvil are all tier 6 to 3 random move ins And LOVE them!

I choose my villagers from the way I feel for them. Then they can be unpopular or the most popular once. But they should be cute so.

I don't really care, but I try not to choose among the most popular ones because they're so overused, but I do like some of them, so I might get them regardless. In the moment, my most popular villager is tier 2, I believe?

- - - Post Merge - - -

Oh, oops! I forgot I got Marshal as a random move in, so scratch that last part. x)

If I want a villager in my town I dont check the popularity lists at all. I don't see why their popularity to others matters, because the only thing that matters is I like them and want them in my town!!

Granted a lot of the villagers in my town are in the upper tiers, but i guess thats understandable, theyre liked by others and liked by me lol

but all villagers are sweet

why are some people surprised that some of their favorite villagers are popular? There is a reason why they are that popular and it's because lots of other people like that villager for the same reason you do.

Anyways to answer your question, I chose 'em because of a) houses and b) attainability. even though gayle is tier 4, a fair amount of people give her away. Many of my dreamies are top tiers because they are more readily available than say, Rocket. I wanted to get started on town development right away but I also didn't want to bug the people who sold all of the villagers and the ones who wanted villagers.

As long as I like the villager, I couldn't really care less whether or not they're popular! I just have who I like in my town :)

At first I kinda cared but now not really ahahaha though most of my dreamies are still top tier, I try to incorporate other underatted villagers that needs loving and are my type of villagers ~

I used to but I got the welcome amiibo cards for my second town even before the villagers were included in the popularity list. So right now, I don't care.

I don't care about tiers and all that. I want my villagers to suit the aesthetic/theme of my town and if they're not popular... why does it matter? We're talking about 8 personalities all rolled into 300+ characters that are otherwise interchangeable. I have no plans to run a cycle town or anything of the sort, so it's a matter of satisfaction at the end of the day.

I'm guilty to say it, but I definitely do focus mostly on popularity. Marshal doesn't interest me at all, but I'll keep him in my town anyway purely based on how popular he is. The reason for this is because I don't like many villagers, and my favourites are usually popular anyway.

I find it extremely fun just cycling through random villagers using the campsite and random move-ins. Was considering a cycle town but with the new amiibos I think it'd be kind of worthless and time consuming. But it's super fun to do and it never really matters to me when a villager moves out. My absolute favourite villager is Kiki though, she's very close to my heart, she was in my first ever town and she's been my favourite villager ever since I started in 2013 <3

Back