• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

How Did You Find Out About Animal Crossing

I first found out about Animal Crossing when I was really young (5-8 I think) around the mid-late 2000s, and I was in my cousin's room with her and she was playing Animal Crossing on her gamecube. I was quite fascinated with how much the player could interact with all of the animal characters, and I specifically remember my cousin writing mean harmless letters like "go take a shower stinky >:C" and stuff like that and both of laughing about it like it was comedy gold.
I got her copy of the game and played on her save file, I didn't understand anything at all because I was a dumb child and I was plopped right in the middle of a save file. About one (1) decade later, I hear literally everyone talking about acnl (even my friends at school) and buckled under peer pressure and downloaded it on my 3DS and currently I've been playing it daily since November 17th.

My friend had city folk on the wii or something and I got interested in the game. I never played it, but I asked my mother if I could have an animal crossing game to my nintendo DS for christmas, and she got me Wild world.
Wild world was the first animal crossing game that i played, but city folks was the one that got me interested.

I met Animal Crossing after a few months I bought the Nintendo 3DS. I even got to know lots of incredible games in the e-shop, just like him.

My only regret was that I had not bought it before. But I'm enjoying it now.

Last edited:
The first time I ever saw Animal Crossing was when they played these live-action commercials for the Gamecube version (don't remember which one it was, there was more than one lol I think it had them grilling a red snapper? idk)

My mom was sitting there too when it played and she was like "Oh I wonder what that game is like ;) ;) ;)", turns out she bought it for me for my birthday hahaha I stayed up alllll night playing it (only allowed cuz it was my bday). Before that I think the only game that kept me up that long was SM64. lmao

In June or July 2013, I was on a family holiday, one of the stops was Dublin, where my brother got NL, he got bored of it within a few months I think. (He likes games like Mario and Super Smash, not really life simulation games, which I love) about 2 years later, I was bored and asked him, "can I play your copy of NL?" (Which is now mine) and he said yes and that's how it all started!

2007 I think it was.. I was watching a relative playing WW... and I was like O_O WHY IS THE FURNITURE A LEAF??? THIS IS AMAZING!!

I think I had always known about it, but I didn't have a system to play it. I have no idea the order of events, other than, I was working at Gamestop when the 3ds came out and I bought one. Either I bought ACNL too, or my sister's ex gave it to me? Had to be around the same time I somehow ended up with all of my friends Gamecube games and finally started trying them on the Wii. I didn't get very far on that one; not even sure which one that is? Been meaning to go back to check that out better too since my AC kick has come back.

2006, winter of 6th grade. I got a DS for Christmas and I didn't have a lot of games. And I can't remember his first name but he last name was Wallace. He gave me a bunch of games and I remember animal crossing being in it so I tried it at lunch. I didn't know how long it took to get set up and I had to close it without saving but I tried it again at home and just fell in love! Then I got city folk eventually and then new leaf.

I actually had no idea what kind of game it'll be. Just walking around the ale one day and saw the GameCube version. Asked my mum if I could have it since it was on clearance. And that's where the addiction began.

my dad actually surprised my brother and I with a gamecube and the game in 2003? I didn't really know much about videogames but I was always playing computer games from cdroms (I feel so old holy crap). Apparently it was like an award winning game already at the time and he's a tech geek so he'd done a lot of research and read reviews and got excited about it for the graphics/ music/ gameplay. I think he eventually regretted it because I got hooked LOL. Literally got DS just so I could play WW, tried city folk when my sibs got a wii but I freakin hate wii remotes so it didn't stick :/ acnl is everything 7yo me wanted tbh

My friend got me into it. We were playing on her Wii and were going to play some Mario game until she finds her old City Folk game. I, being really young, groaned and complained because I didn't know what it was. At the time I thought that if I had no idea what it was about, I didn't like it. Boy, was I wrong. She spent about 15 minutes wandering around her town and I was very intrigued as I watched. When I went home, I looked up a bunch of stuff about the game and really wanted it. She tried to convince me to get Wild World because she played more on WW rather than CF, but I ended up getting CF because it was more newer. (Got WW a few years after anyways so it didn't matter.)

Last edited:
I went over to my friend's house in the fifth grade for a sleepover and she had Animal Crossing for the GameCube. We played it for most of the night and I fell in love with it immediately. I went home the next day and told my mom about it. Unfortunately I don't think we didn't manage to get it until I was in the sixth grade, a year later. Once we got it my mom started playing it too lol

Last edited:
My first Animal Crossing game was for the Gamecube! My dad saw a commercial for the game, and rented it for me at a video rental store. I was immediately addicted to the game. I loved the freedom of being able to design our house, and be whoever we desired without the fear of judgement! The villagers gave me a reason to be happy. I would talk to the villagers, and they would always have something to say. It felt great to have a connection with these villagers, even though they were characters on a video game. I loved how they treated me like one of their friends. I even rented the game so much, the man who worked at the video rental store gave me the game for free!

I remember leaving school to run onto the bus, and pulling out my DS to play Wild World. Turning on that game made me feel like I was leaving one world, and entering another. School was a cruel place for me because of bullies and having nobody to talk with. Animal Crossing was my safe place. I remember sitting in my eighth period class and wanting to see how my villagers were doing. Animal Crossing gave me a sense of belonging because on that game, I was respected.

My first game was Wild World back in '06, I think I heard about it from a friend saying its cute and fun saying it was kinda like the sims but with animals xD. I remember my first DS which was the light pink one and the only game I had at the time was Nintendogs (which I still have, same for wild world). I haven't played Wild world for so long I can't remember my town's name.

ACNL was my first animal crossing game ever. I hadn't even really heard of it, I just knew I was looking for a certain "type" of game and went Googling to see what was out there. It came down to ACNL or Harvest Moon, and ACNL was what I found for sale first. I remember thinking I wasn't sure if I'd like it because I found the graphics really choppy.

I still haven't played Harvest Moon, lol. Someday I'll check it out.

New Leaf was also my first game and I found out about it based on a commercial. One of my friends who had City Folk (i think?) Said it was fun, so I was like okay xD

I vaguely remember seeing this commercial a few years back on a winter holiday where Nintendo was showcasing their games. Animal Crossing was one of them. I had no idea what animal crossing was at the time so I ignored it. A year later, my younger sister wanted to get the game as a holiday gift. When we got it, I said to myself, oh this game is good but why do they have to make these weird noises when they speak?!?! Of course, I grew to like the game and to this day, I still play it. :)

I believe this is the one I saw a few years ago. I THINK. (It feels so weird when you watch this during summer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dr7YFTP80g

Last edited:
When I was much younger, I already had my Gameboy when a friend came over for a visit with hers. She had AC-WW for the DS and I borrowed the game from her. While the game was nice and I still remember having Chevre in my town and adoring to paint stellar constellations into the sky at Celeste's place, I lost interest in the game rather quick I think.

I never played Lets go to the City and any other Animal Crossing games, though I was indeed Aware of them.

A few years ago, after ACNL came out, I started to see more and more Videos on YouTube and, thanks to my girlfriend, more and more Posts on tumblr. I was really hesitant in buying the game though due to it not being the games I usually Play. But the game looked. so. effing. cute. So i got the game. And I didnt regret it. Only like a week after my girlfriend also caved in, after seeing me Play, and got the game as well.

Now I always have a place to drop Katie and get signatures haha :D

i think i got into it a little bit later than most, in 2010 my dad gave me a ds with a flash cart that he'd loaded a bunch of random games he found onto (he used to be really bad about pirating games :p) and wild world happened to be one of them! i never got the shop upgraded more than once or twice or many bells earned cuz i was like 9 at the time and had no idea how upgrading worked and didn't know i could just look it up online, lol. i didn't have anyone to play with but i still played it for a really long time! i'd love to get back into it but i know i'll never be able to fully upgrade to nookingtons bc i still don't know anybody who owns wild world :(

Back