• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Are you aware that you're dreaming?

Sometimes when I am dreaming I become aware that I am in a dream. Sometimes I go through the dream thinking/feeling/believing the entire time that what is happening is real until I wake up. My dreams are generally intense and so real that it is hard for me to distinguish dream from reality.

Yes. And it's terrifying because when I become aware I'm dreaming it's like other "characters" suddenly know that I'm aware it's a dream. And that's when it takes a turn for the worst and waking myself up is so hard. Even worse when you have a "false wake-up" type scenario and when this occurs 4/5 times over it's horrible.
The worst is when you mention to a dream character you're aware it's a dream, so they can't hurt you. That NEVER. Ends well.

I've only had it happen once - I suppose it's called lucid dreaming.
In mine, I was walking through a park and became aware it wasn't real. The sky changed colours and shifted, like it wasn't rendered properly. I was in control to glide and float over tall buildings as if in anti-gravity.

I think it only happened because I was reading about lucid dreaming the night before and it must have stayed in my subconscious. It was cool but I don't think I'd want to repeat the experience, lest something go wrong.

I only lucid dream when I get sleep paralysis, and I only get sleep paralysis when I'm over tired. The dreams never end well. I usually wake up screaming.

Same. I only get sleep paralysis when I nap during the day, and when I do I am almost always aware in my dream. 90% of the time I wake up from my sleep and remember what I dreamt about. Sometimes I even go back to sleep to continue the dream.. sometimes it works, most of the time it's a new dream. I tend to forget them though unless I tell someone about it straight away. If I don't, they come back to me randomly when I think of something or experience something similar IRL, like deja vu.

nope. though to be honest, most of my dreams are nightmares so i think that'd be a bit comforting.
i've been aware one time, and it was when i was 9, 10, or 11 (i can't really remember). this dude was screaming at me and i said "this is a dream" and he screamed that it wasn't so i jumped into the abyss

A lot of the time I am aware that I'm dreaming but I can't control the dream. I'll just think to myself in the middle of a bad dream "thank goodness this is only a dream" (or, if I'm having a rare good dream, "Noooooooo why can't this be real?")

Last edited:
I am usually aware that I'm dreaming and can control them to a point, I even have repeats of dreams sometimes. I usually really enjoy them.

most of the time im unaware im in a dream, and just assume everything that's happening is real. but in some cases, i know im dreaming but i still can't take action and control what is going on. i dont think i ever had a lucid dream, but i wish i did, or can. i hear it can be pretty awesome to just do whatever you want, but the downside is possibly experiencing sleep paralysis.

there's this one dream i had as a little kid that i still remember having til this day, because it was a terrifying experience. in the dream, i was laying in my bunk bed, and one of my sisters was messing with our nightlight. i can't remember if she was trying to turn it on or what, but i mumbled something to her, before turning over in my bed.
and then i see this giant tarantula, right next to my pillow. i'm so scared i can't move, just staring at this huge spider on my bed. next thing i know, it jumps at my face and i wake up, startled.
its in the middle of the night when i wake up, and everywhere i look i see the spider, still vivid as anything. i tried closing my eyes, but i could still see it. frightened by what im experiencing, i go to my mom's room and tell her what happened. she brushes it off and tells me to go back to bed.
so for the rest of the night, i try my hardest to fall asleep, despite seeing these spiders everywhere i look. in the end, i get this idea to think of something "happy", so i imagine clifford until i eventually manage to fall back asleep.

it was a pretty scary experience, and i never want to experience something like that again. i forgot what you call it, but it happens when your body wakes up too quickly and half of your brain is still dreaming?? or something like that, i cant remember. LOL either way, it was scary.

sometimes i feel like i do? like i would know it's a dream when i'm beginning to wake up so like semi conscious slowly getting out of sleep. and when i fully realize it's a dream, i'm awake. i can't remember many of my dreams tbh so i can't say for sure though lol.

I’m almost never aware.
Last night I had a dream that I was a child and we were doing cricket training, and one of my close friends in Primary School that I completely forgot about up until this moment was with me. Weird dream, but even though I was a child in my dream I actually thought it was real.

I mean, it's a mixed bag for me sometimes, but most often than not I'm unaware. Most of the time they just come and go without even noticing, which get annoying if they're about me or my family dying in a horrific way, which isn't really that great when I'm dreaming and trying to find reality if there even is any

I wish I was because then it wouldn't be true that we have the President we do here in the United States.

Last edited:
When I'm falling asleep and waking up. When I'm almost going to sleep I know and feel that I'm awake but I also know and feel that I'm dreaming, same with when I'm waking up.

I don't really dream but.. most of the time when I am and it gets scary / weird I just flick the eyelids and it's over--- convenient!

Are you talking about lucid dreams? I used to be able to lucid dream but interestingly enough, the more in control I got of my real life, the less I could control my dreams.

Back