• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What's the story behind your town?

Goyoku

渡る者の途絶&#
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Yellow Candy
Does your town have a backstory? Is a mystical forest with a dark secret, or a pastel kingdom with a king and a queen?

What about your other characters, who are they? What do they do?

I'm still trying to gather my dreamies but I'm thinking about what exactly my town is gonna be!

I'm going for a bit of a foresty vibe in my town, but there's not really a backstory. What's your backstory?

I'm going for a bit of a foresty vibe in my town, but there's not really a backstory. What's your backstory?

I'm trying to go for a mystical bamboo forest sort of thing, with a witch, or forest spirits. But I'm still exploring this idea a little, like trying to decide if the forest has a more malicious side or its like a 'Princess Mononoke' kind of forest.

Nothing atm but I'm going for a colorful forest, like a paradise sort of town with lots of flowers, fruit trees, bushes and lucky clovers, at least that's I have in my mind currently...

one of my towns has a story where it used to be a kingdom, but after everyone died from a war, it grew into an abandoned forest, save for the princess who was kept alive by a spell the town witch cast on her. lol pretty intricate. My new town doesnt have a solid story yet, but the characters i have do; one is a barb from stranger things-esque girl who is picked on, and attempts witchcraft in her spare time, and the other is a 50's-eque girl, quite inspired by audrey from twin peaks. lmao clearly i have too much time on my hands

My main town doesn't have a story... It's just a town, lol. But I want to make another town that's based off of a TV show I watch, but I don't think I'll be allowed to buy another game since the one I have is my second copy lmao

there's not much of a story behind my town, but i'm trying to create a yume nikki-esque aesthetic to it.

i'm not sure how well i'm going to be able to pull it off tho.

one of my towns has a story where it used to be a kingdom, but after everyone died from a war, it grew into an abandoned forest, save for the princess who was kept alive by a spell the town witch cast on her. lol pretty intricate. My new town doesnt have a solid story yet, but the characters i have do; one is a barb from stranger things-esque girl who is picked on, and attempts witchcraft in her spare time, and the other is a 50's-eque girl, quite inspired by audrey from twin peaks. lmao clearly i have too much time on my hands

I love the idea of this :eek:. That sounds amazing for a foresty 'town'. Wow, I bet that would be a very fun place to explore. I hope you'll find some inspiration to help you with your new town's story!

I've recently got back into the game after buying some cards online and stuff to finalise what villagers are going to live in there.

I'm currently trying to figure it out myself but I do know that I'm going to make one more human villager and turning him into either a Private Investigator or another policeman. His house is going to be closer my own police station or closer to the Roost.

The mayor does what he wants, but the other human villager currently living will own a cafe/library close to the waterfall near the beach.

I've spent the whole night trying to get rid of paths and flowers and trees so that I can revamp my town so it's pretty much a WIP.

Leronde is the name of an Isle of Quay and Quarry from Tales of Xillia for the PS3. Below is a video featuring the town tune and what Leronde actually looks like. Skip to 2:10 to cut past the dialogue.

Marius or Marius Pontmercy is the protagonist of Victor Hugo's Les Mis?rables that joins the revolution which aided in the 1832 June Rebellion.

EDIT: Thus I've then decided to name my town Leronde and my mayor Marius

Last edited:
My town is OBVIOUSLY going to be Splatoon based town! There obviously isn't any squid villagers, So I can scratch that. The best I can do is make the houses, the exterior, and characters look like it. I'm such a weeb ;-;

My town is OBVIOUSLY going to be Splatoon based town! There obviously isn't any squid villagers, So I can scratch that. The best I can do is make the houses, the exterior, and characters look like it. I'm such a weeb ;-;

uhm you do know there's splatoon amiibo villagers you can get, right?

I wrote a ridiculously long backstory to my main town on a similar post a few months back, but I'm going to try to keep it brief this time, lol.

Llothien is named after some Elven ruins in another game and theme-wise is a bit of a throwback to an old town I had with a similar Elven ruin/fairytale theme. The town itself was once a prosperous Elven kingdom that lived in harmony with animals and nature, but that fell into ruin, void of magic and Elf-kind, when the Moon turned Her back. Years later it's become an overgrown forest where the animals have lingered in the hope that both magic and the Elves would return. A mysterious woman dressed in white showed up one evening and took residence within the forgotten Moon Temple. Since her appearance, the Moon has begun to shine over Llothien again, and gradually the land is becoming as mystical and beautiful as it once was.

Edit:

Forgot to add:

Elwelune is the mayor and the mysterious woman who appeared. She's basically a Moon Priestess who has/is restoring the temple and drawing the Moonlight back to Llothien.

Raina was originally going to be an Elven ruler returning to Llothien, but I might change her theme up. Her house is set right next to my town hall, which i thought would look okay as a castle, but im having second thoughts.

Amariel is going to be like an herbalist, I suppose. A character in touch with nature who will have a very simple, natural theme, maybe even an orchard.

but so far that's all I have.

Last edited:
My town's full title or theme is 'city of the setting sun & rising moon.'

The sunset-themed side of town is like a bustling vibrant fairytale city, containing the town hall, gate, and Retail buildings, most of the villager homes, fairytale public works and streetlights lining its sun-mosaic paths, and a sunset-themed castle. The castle has a few rooms themed around the sun/sunset, but also rooms with functions you would associate with evening festivities in general: a ballroom, a theater, and a dining hall. The whole feel of this castle & side of town could be described as Dionysian: full of excess, indulgence, flair, maybe overdone.

The moonrise-themed side of town is much quiter, with just the moon-themed castle, a few villager homes, an inn a little off the beaten path, a witch's house in the woods, and the town tree located in a grassy clearing of star-shaped flowers. The paths are not quite as busy, but they're adorned with worn moon mosaic tiles and lined with white flowers that glow in the moonlight. The moon-themed castle is owned by the in-game-mayor, and has a few moon-themed rooms, as well as rooms with more quiet and practical purposes than the sun-castle's rooms: a chapel, a library, and a bathhouse.

I don't like to see the owner of the moon castle and sun castle as like moon and sun goddesses, necessarily, more like representatives of two political 'houses' or 'lines' of families that have waxed and waned in power and favor in the city over time, using the moon & sun as symbols for their respective houses and differing philosophies (the Dionysian vs. Apollonian idea).

Overall it's just something fun to have to give my fairytale-themed city a sense of history and purpose, and to guide the way I decorate... I have a lot of fun with it and like it a lot!! :)

Last edited:
sleep is everything to me so i really wanted to do this whimsical, dream-like town. i think the name snoozers just came to me as i was thinking about it. i picked sheep and wolf villagers because of the whole "count sheep to get to sleep", and i thought the wolves were a nice contrast/complimentary animal to them!

I'm still in the middle of getting all their houses, but my mayor, and the two other residents, a male), and a female, in my town are all OGs. I have a story planned out but haven't actually written much yet.

Here's what I have so far: A girl becomes the mayor to have a fresh start. She's missing her left eye, but none of the villagers question it. She intentionally keeps away from the animals for fear of getting too close, but is very good at caring for the town. Two other people move in, one shortly after the mayor, the other takes much longer. This is an important detail. The male quickly becomes best friends with some villagers (also I swear some of the female ones have a crush on him) but what's strange is that even though she invited him to live here, he seems to be at tension with the mayor sometimes. The last person to join bonds quickly too, with all the female villagers, yet never speaks to the mayor. Finally, the mayor and the female resident are sisters. The male and female residents are lovers. As you explore their houses, you will find out parts of their backstory.

My town is called Wisteria because the flower symbolizes mystery and beauty. Town flower is purple rose, for 'enchantment at first sight.' The story parts in town are mostly the houses and maybe 2-3 areas in town. It's mostly sculpted to be a Japanese foresty town, with a sense of hidden magic. There's actually a famous place in Japan called Kawachi Fuji Garden, that features a beautiful wisteria flower tunnel: (http://japan-magazine.jnto.go.jp/en/1502_wisteria.html) but I didn't know that the time of naming my town so that's pretty cool!

Last edited:
The story for my town isn't really finished and it's kind of a thrown together mess haha. But! What I have so far:

The Void is a quiet seemingly peaceful town that's home to many rumors. Rumors of strange objects in the sky, magical beings, people disappearing at an alarming rate. No one is quiet sure where the mayor came from, he appeared during a cold winter day after a loud crash was heard in the woods and residents saw a bright flash of light. He doesn't seem to speak the local language, no one in town can understand him. A few months after his move in came a girl who established a cafe in town. She makes sweets such as cake, pies, tarts, etc. People love her and her food, travelers from out of town often stop by her place, which is where the rumors of people disappearing come from, the travelers are often not seen or heard from again after visiting The Void. The villagers have claimed to have seen her use magic before, and there's no denying the magical aura you feel coming from her home. All of the various rumors drew the attention of a researcher who started camping out in town, he quickly learned something is off about the town. After him another girl moved into town, setting up close by the mayor. She is the only one who seems to be able to understand the mayor's language. She doesn't spend much time with anyone, and is often working in her basement on something big. A radio in her basement streams voices from it that sound like the mayor's language, it's unknown what she's working on.

Annd there you have it! I'm not the best storyteller so I hope this is laid out in a good way hah

My town of Powtown is filled with superheroes and villains, and I've got an entire word document filled with lore on all the villagers and residents. I had a lot of fun figuring out their powers and relationships to each other. I used both game interactions and my own imagination to come up with what the characters are like. I also took a lot of inspiration from comics.

Mira, for example has storm based powers based on a conversation she had about me regarding storm powers. She's bff's with Agent S because they were at each others birthdays! She and Coco have a difficult relationship because Coco was created by an insane scientist experimenting with gyroids and a captured Mira's "life essence". As a result Coco is bent on destroying the town in vengeance. So Mira feels both guilty and compelled to stop her.

My player characters have their own fun backstory. The superhero mayor and the main super villain are dating in their civilian personas, for example. And neither is aware :). I didn't bother with coming up with a fun story for my first town, and I'm finding that doing so is making me enjoy the game even more!

Back