• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Advice for decorating large rooms

Warrior

Ultimate Warrior
Bells
Spring Sakura
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
Tasty Cake
sorry if this is in the wrong area!

I recently restarted my town, but my house is getting to a point where all the rooms are nearly full size. I'm having a hard time filling them out! my town has no real theme outside of putting all my personal favorite stuff in it haha... It's a town of frogs with a yellow/pink/orange theme. I feel I'm decorating just normally, but always end up with a large empty space in the middle... any advice? do you upgrade your rooms to full size? Do you use items to break the room into sections? I don't have a microsd reader so I don't know how to post pictures sorry! But I would like to see what others do, so if you can post examples of good space usuage I'd love to see! Sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place :x

I definitely want full size rooms though.... just to have it done? I guess? Also room ideas and such is appreciated. When I do a room I mainly focus on colours more than anything. I like finding sets I like and customising them. For example the main room I've really focused on is the alpine set in beige custom'd with the flowery tee. I'll swap a few pieces out, such as the couch is getting swapped with the pink custom regal couch. I may also switch out the large table, or custom it with a different design.

Breaking rooms up is a good idea, especially if you're doing actual rooms, usually trying to use a whole room for a "bathroom" is hard, so upgrading it to like a spa usually helps. Or you could use screens to cut it into two rooms and make it a bathroom/laundry room or something of the like. Big items are definitely your friends as well, like using a 2x2 table in the middle of a room especially with chairs really helps fill it out. If you're doing a bedroom and just have the normal bedroom stuff it wont take up much of the space, but if you make maybe a sitting area, or a little desk area and add in a bookshelf or something it can help fill the space. In my living rooms I usually put my sitting area and TV in the center of the room and decorate around it allowing walking space.

Google is a great place to look for inspiration, if you look up a specific room type, say "bedroom acnl" and you'll find some neat ideas.

Kaydee suggested some good ideas. With the WA update came a couple good items that can be used as partitions, such as the simple panel, rolling closet, glass partition, or even using screens (exotic screen, classic screen, etc.) that can be used to create the illusion of a separate space dedicated to either a hobby or just a lounge area. Otherwise my go to item for this is still the large bookcase. I also agree with using 2x2 items to fill up the space. For example, in one of my kitchens (which is slightly rustic/zen themed) I was able to fit in the usual items like the potbelly stove, some counters, etc. but it was still looking very spacious. I decided to add the hearth item, which is huge but it balances it out a lot.

You can also try avoiding putting items immediately next to the wall and instead use another furniture behind it to create a buffer. Idk how to explain this any better, but for example... instead of putting a couch right up against a wall, put a shelf behind it with some nice decorative items on top. That way it pushes the couch out a bit and allows you to add more personal touches and trinkets! I've seen a lot of great uses of this if you google ACNL bedrooms.

Good luck with decorating!! :>

cool, thanks guys! I'll def give these things a go! lol it's so counterintuitive cause my irl house has tiny rooms lol

I love decorating large rooms, as I usually fit all the furniture I want in them (but not always). First, I suggest finding a theme for your house and it doesn't have to be anything specific either--just figure out the general feel you want from it, like dark and moody or pastel. A color scheme works too and then you can fill your rooms with those colors and make them natural house rooms like a living room, bathroom, kitchen, library, den, man cave, office, etc. The next thing I would look for is the furniture you'd want in there, just compile a list of anything that might look good together! Then fill the room with those pieces and adjust them as necessary. I like making small sections throughout a room. I don't make every room super large, because I want the house to feel natural, so some rooms, like the bathroom, remain small.

Here is my basement in my second character's home, maxed out but split into sections (bedroom, sitting area, witch area, etc.):

3UzrROw.jpg

I hope this helps somehow! ^^

I just made a blog post yesterday with pictures of my rooms. Several of them are broken into different areas. I'm particularly pleased with how my home office came out, if you're interested.

I just made a blog post yesterday with pictures of my rooms. Several of them are broken into different areas. I'm particularly pleased with how my home office came out, if you're interested.

sure.. can I have a link? :-D

If you have Happy Home Designer, here's a tip: use the computer to visit the houses that have the most "cool", "cute", etc, votes, they're usually amazing and a great inspiration! :)
I went to a Francine's castle that was breathtaking... they make one huge room into so many "mini sections" that I couldn't even comprehend how they did it. x)

Back