• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Weird Petition Glitch?

kiwikenobi

GONE FROM TBT
Peach 🍑
Lemon 🍋
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Anyone seen this before?

DJtCXPyVYAAg8OG.jpg

I had this happen to me once a few years ago but was so surprised I didn't think to take a screenshot until it was too late. This time, I snagged 'em.

I just talked to Kid Cat, and without asking me first, he just said, great, here's the petition, get four guys to sign it, then he started his conversation again from the middle and acted pleased that I had agreed to get it signed (which I had not done). A few years ago, this happened almost exactly the same with Timbra, except that she asked for four girls' signatures.

Then when I got the petition signed by four girls and tried to return it to her, she acted like it was incomplete. So I went back to another town and got it signed by two more people, and then everything was like normal. I haven't gotten my new petition from Kid Cat signed yet, but I assume it will be the same.

I assume that this is some kind of feature of petitions that the game makers decided not to use, the "get signatures from only one gender" petition. But that when they tried to remove it, some small chance of it glitching back into being remained.

Is this old news? Because I haven't heard anyone else talk about it before, and since I had no photographic evidence of the first time, I didn't feel like I should just go around saying, "No, really, it's true! I swear!" ^o^;>

That's really weird. My villagers virtually never ask for petitions, so this has never happened to me. Really weird, I'd never heard of 1 gender petitions before. Did they complain if you gave them the wrong gender? Or didn't you try that

I tried it, the game treated it like a normal 6-signature either-gender petition. They rejected it when it only had four. They accepted it when it had six of both genders.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is really weird. XD

- - - Post Merge - - -

And for what it's worth, both times I saw this, it was a villager inside their house that forced a seemingly single-gender petition on me, and I believe it was the very first time I'd spoken to them on that day, too.

My left wrist just started hurting yesterday and it's only getting worse. It actually hurts while I'm trying to type on my keyboard. I think it might be carpal tunnel... welp guess I'm goin to the doctor soon lol

Until then I reeeeeeeally need a brace and I don't have one yet... this oughta be fun .-.

Last edited:
Same thing happened to me last year. Ed asked for boys only signatures so I went to my spare town and got boys only. Got 5 but the petition wasn't full so I asked a girl villager. Came back and he was fine with it.

I never seen anything like that before. But I do remember this one glitch where the villager gave be a petition form without asking any yes or no questions. Its like he really wanted it done.

That's so strange! Now that I think about it, it would be kind if neat if there were specific signature quests... like getting signatures from all sheep, or cats and dogs... of course the prize would have to be something good though :p

That's really interesting! Never happened to me, but now I kind of want to see it...I'll screenshot is too. :p
I can see why they removed it though, that would make getting all the signatures quite a bit harder, since not everyone has a town that has diversity of personalities/genders.

This is so interesting Im totally fascinated!

I agree with your theory - programming other petition options.

It is super cool that you got a photo!

It seems this glitch is quite rare. I've played New Leaf every day since launch, and I've only seen it twice (and only had the presence of mind to snap a screenshot of it once). Although at least one other person here has seen it, too, so it's not just my copy of the game. I have a cartridge, incidentally, maybe it's different when it's digital.

My villagers have never asked me for a signature and I have no idea why. I think it'd be cool to do that.

I'm curious if anyone else here has seen this particular glitch or whatever it is with the petitions besides me and stitchmaker. I wonder what causes the stars to align just right inside the game to make it have this weird lapse in reality. XD

I hardly do petitions for villagers as I'm always so busy. lol Waste of time imo. Should do more... actually. lol

That's the thing; with this glitch, you don't have a chance to refuse. You talk to the villager, and before they say anything else, the villager already says, "great, here's the petition, get four [guys/girls] to sign it" and then they say, "great, thanks for agreeing to do this, here's the petition, get six people from another town to sign it," and then hand you the petition. Whether or not you wanted to, you suddenly have a petition in your pocket. I suppose you could avoid it by always having full pockets, but it's a crazy-rare glitch event of sorts, so probably it won't matter.

Last edited:
Back