• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Pokémon Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Pokemon Ranger?

What do you prefer?

• Mystery Dungeon!

Votes: 27 73.0%
  • Ranger!

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Both!

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • I don't like both at all...

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

Sweetley

- Gone -
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Which Pokemon Spin-Off do you like more?

I like Mystery Dungeon more, especially because of the fact that you can be play as a Pokemon instead of a trainer. I also really like the stories too. Ranger is kinda ok, I played the games but I didn't had so much fun with them compared to MD.

Last edited:
Honestly, it's got to be Mystery Dungeon for me. I didn't get into regular Pokemon games until gen. 4, but Mystery Dungeon was my first Pokemon game (got it six months before Diamond). The gameplay is spectacular, challenging and refreshing, the random generated floors keep the replay value fresh! The story of the first game is good, but explorers has the best story by far.

Pokemon Ranger is a great game in its own right. I've only played the first one, but it managed to leave a pretty good impression on me. The story is... there, it didn't really impress me. The gameplay is unique and I did like swirling my stylus about my touchscreen, but ther are consequences. Maybe I was a bit rough, but it did leave a few scratches on my screen by the time the credits were rolling.

Overall, both games are quite the gems in their own right, but Mystery Dungeon is the winner today! Now give us a Mystery Dungeon with gen 7 in it!

Never played ranger sounds neat doe

I LOVED md GBA I only got to emu it tho but then I got pmd e of time
Pmd 3ds (1) is pretty good but
I love psmd the story is Soo cute! Sadly psmd doesn't have a quick save which makes NO SENSE

I only have 1 Ranger game, I never finished it but it was pretty fun before it got annoying.

I like the Mystery Dungeon games a lot better. Blue Rescue Team and whatever the other one was - Explorers of Darkness I think?? Those were awesome. I was so disappointed by Gates to Infinity though. :{

It does make a change to get to do something else with Pokemon - they're both good series to me. I've played the first two games in each - Original Ranger and Shadows of Almia and PMD: Red/Blue and Time/Darkness/Sky. I liked the original Ranger but my my that Steelix in the tunnel. It was huge man. Then Raikou, Entei and Suicune or the Gyarados, Flygon, Charizard and was it Salamence gauntlet? Tough. I also still have my Manaphy. Shadows of Almia was much crisper in my opinion, added a lot of things and nice re-appearance from the Go Rock Quads. I love the continuity. Such nice locations too, all the obvious land formations - volcano area, desert area, you know the rest.

Mystery Dungeon was on another level though. Most people seem to agree that Pokemon Black/White have possibly the best story of the main series games but the Mystery Dungeon storylines are right up there. In the original Gengar was such a dick and going to find Xatu for his eerie predictions was great. Thanks Rayquaza. Caterpie getting all grown up, that Mankey family helping build your home up. Friend areas were so fun to see which Pokemon they put where, I missed that in the sequel. The sequel. Twist. Twist. Twist.
Drowzee you dick. Grovyle's the bad guy? Dusknoir's the bad guy? He's working for Primal Dialga? Palkia hates my guts? Darkrai was behind the whole thing? How deep does this go?

How is this even a questionnnnn, Mystery Dungeon all the way! That's not to say that Ranger wasn't enjoyable, I think both series are very good (and both a bit grindy at times) but the story of the Mystery Dungeon games are just amazing. In my opinion the story kinda fell after the T/D/Sky series, and focused more on new game mechanics... but they're still very fun to play through. The first games kinda blew my mind, I've never played a Pokemon game that made me cry. And the second games? Even better, the whole arc with Grovyle was just amazing and the twists that kept following were woooow, even if you think you know what's going to happen and it does, there's something else that you just didn't expect.

Pokemon Black and White had a good story, but PMD is just 10x better.

Mystery Dungeon because of the storylines being so great! Always with the feels especially in time/darkness/sky! I love these games with a burning passion

dude mystery dungeon was :cool:
i played legit all of the sprite-based (not 3d) games and loved every second

guardian signs holds a special place in my heart as being really well-done, riding the legendaries was amazingggg

i really really liked both tbh

Last edited:
Gonna go with Mystery Dungeon here. Ranger is overall fine, but not so my favorite.

I've played all of them and absolutely love both of them. :blush:

The 2D Mystery Dungeons are just such great games by themselves, especially the second generation.

Neither. I honestly like Pokemon Rumble and Conquest more.

Both games are insanely hard for my standards. *Flashbacks of Capturing Murkrow in Pokemon Ranger*

- - - Post Merge - - -

Thing is, I haven't played a Rumble Series game since Rumble Blast.

i have played ranger and PMD.
i like PMD more in a way.
i have played more pmd games than ranger
I just finished Super Mystery Dungeon
Need to play Gates To Infinity next

The Pokemon Quiz in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon in the sprite based games eg. Blue rescue team

Last edited:
Both were great in my opinion, but I do have to admit, they were quite hard. Still had fun with both though. :)

Back