Would you be friends with someone who has a "dangerous" mental disorder?

Weiland

Flick Fanboy 🦎💞
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Switch
7046-6089-3415
Would you be friends with someone who has a "dangerous" mental disorder? Using "dangerous" here as stigma, folks. I don't mean it.
Such examples could be borderline personality disorder, schizoaffective, schizophrenia, dissociative identity disorder or bipolar.
Not saying that they make a person dangerous, but the media begs to differ.

I'm just curious as to whether or not you guys would be friends or even lovers with someone who has a debilitating mental disorder that could POTENTIALLY (doesn't guarantee it) make them dangerous?
I personally have a "dangerous" mental disorder, and it makes me feel more interesting. I'd love to meet someone who has a "dangerous" mental disorder similar to mine. As long as they have it under control and don't need to be hospitalised, that is. I've personally got mine under control (although I still have the schizo negative symptoms really bad at times).
This'll probably give me a lot of hate because I didn't word it right but whatever. I just want to know whether or not you, the reader, would ever be friends with such a person.

Like any person, I think it depends on how well we click/understand eachother/have things in common/etc.
I wouldn't judge them for their disorder, and in fact as a friend, I'd think it'd be my responsibility to look out for them because I care. Only if they showed serious signs of aggression and hurt me / attempted to hurt me, I think I'd distance myself.

ive had friends w bpd in the past lol, the one i was closest to sucked but that was bc she used her bpd as an excuse to be horrible. theres a difference between "ppl w bpd should never get jealous bc thats abusive" and "ppl w bpd need to not take out their jealousy on the person theyre jealus on bc having a disorder is not an excuse to be abusive" and she didnt seem to get that.

tbh it doesnt really matter as long as theyre not uh Bad People. tho i guess i'd be hesistant to befriend someone w a lot of similar issues as i do (especially if they seemed like they would vent or talk about it a lot) because that would affect me in bad ways lol but that isnt about ppl w "dangerous" disorders in general

If they take care of and handle it yes then maybe but if they are not gonna care and bother everyone always then no. I had a bipolar friend who was pretty.. annoyingly dangerous and whatnot and she didn't really took care so I had to cut stuff eventually.

I've got two(?) of the "dangerous" disorders myself so I probably wouldn't mind, but it depends on how the other person is, y'know.

I don't mind tbh, as long as they won't do or plan anything against me. I wouldn't look at them differently and treat them as I normally treat my other friends. I'd be more wary about fake/manipulative people who does stuff then blame it or use those illnesses as an excuse to make themselves the victim. I won't hesitate to cut them off my life entirely.

I'm friends with plenty of people with these sorts of problems, but just being honest I would not get into a romantic relationship with someone who has bpd. Outside of that though, if your an alright person there's no reason to not be your friend. That said I don't form especially close relationships so perhaps my use of the word friend isn't as strong as others.

Yes, of course I would. I wouldn't really mind them acting strange and stuff unless they try and hurt me in some sort of way.

Yes, I have two of the disorders listed in co-morbidity. I wouldn't treat somebody differently because they have a serious mental illness, or because they're dangerous (I personally don't think the "dangerous" here requires quotations, not everything is a stigma).

I'm not really one to make friends, but I wouldn't not write-off being friends with someone for that reason. Sometimes being around people with similar issues can be quite grounding and reassuring, I believe it helped me to become more self-aware and helped me to attempt to work better on my symptoms and emotions.

Last edited:
As long as they're not actually "dangerous" or violent, I'd have no problem being friends with someone.

That depends if I can tolerate them
Every person needs somebody to lean on you know

my boyfriend is bipolar and i don't love him any less for it.
he's not dangerous and the mental illness stigma is gross.

I have friends with some of the disorders you listed and have never even though twice about it. Like others said, mentally healthy people can pose as much or even higher of a "risk" to a relationship if they are selfish, controlling, insincere etc.

As far as dating goes I'd be more reluctant, but that's mainly because I'm currently struggling with an anxiety disorder myself. I'd want to be able to carry the other person but don't think I'd be fully capable of that at the moment. My boyfriend has depression though, and we help support each other extremely well, so maybe it's all a matter of gaining the strength if you love someone

As long as they're not actually "dangerous" or violent, I'd have no problem being friends with someone.

Yeah, sadly my experience haven't been the best so yeah I'm pretty restrictive to whom I consider a friend. My former friend was pretty violent, threatening, stalking, thought they owned the world and they hardly had any good days so, yeah.

It depends. If they could control it, then I wouldn't run away. But if they got crazy and acted abusive in any way, just like any other person, I'd leave. I think it's unfair to judge someone based on a mental illness cause people all behave differently.

I think it's unfair to judge someone based on a mental illness cause people all behave differently.

Yeah. I mean I would give them a chance if they actually had some kind of conscious control over it and could behave (like obviously you might have some issues, but if you are acting like a douche and don't even bother to feel sorry about it, yeah then no).

My best friend/future partner has bipolar disorder. He has never ever been violent, and I trust with all my being that he never would be. We get along like a house on a fire and I don't think there's any form of illness or disability that could make me think any less of him, and (hopefully) vice versa.

If you want to be friends with me you have to deal with my anxiety issues anyway.

Yeah because mental illness doesn't make someone dangerous

I realize it's not what you meant btw that's just my reasoning

Not to mention I have a """""dangerous""""" mental illness myself so that'd be hypocritical lol

Last edited:
Back