• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Words you can't -reeeally- spell

Lackadaisy

Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Are there any common words you find yourself continuously struggling with?

My top example would be: necessary
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think it has to do with almost exclusively using devices to write in English (while my German High School required mainly hand-written assignments!)

Spellcheck and especially autocorrect make it so easy to only half pay attention to what you're typing - with certain words, I basically just hit an approximation of the right buttons and wait for it to guess my intent!

i see your necessary and raise you unnecessary

embarrassing/embarrassment are other ones where i keep forgetting where the doubles go

occasion or occasionally

Sometimes I spell it with both double 'c' and 's' or a single 'c' then double 's' lol I have to google it every time to make sure.

Absolutely agree that it often comes down to where double letters go.

The weirdest thing is that sometimes I feel that typing, even without autocorrect, is easier than handwriting. Like I have a muscle memory of the correct letter sequence of a word on a keyboard that I just can't access otherwise >.<"

- - - Post Merge - - -

occasion or occasionally

That is definitely another one that I can't spell without some uncertainty every - single - time!

Words that have to follow the "i before e except after c" rule., such as receive. I cannot subconsciously spell receive right to save my life.

aesthetic, I always have to use spell check and stuff on that, haha.

(I made it right now for purpose but I legit mess it up every time I type)

Since.
I always flop on spelling it on online games....

I know how psudo is spelled but not since. acuallly I just spelled since 3 times without auto correct

Last edited:
Yes! Necessary and Disappear are two of my worst words. I will spell them in a way where spell check is like "uhm, this other totally different word?" I also fail with Restaurant 8/10 times.

also receive and such words for some dang reason I always mix up ie/ei words in english when to type em out.

also receive and such words for some dang reason I always mix up ie/ei words in english when to type em out.

I before E except after C, unless your weird feisty neighbor pulls a heinous heist on a freight of ancient sleigh reindeer who neigh for leisure. And about 20 other freaking words that don't follow it. DAMN YOU ENGLISH!

I before E except after C, unless your weird feisty neighbor pulls a heinous heist on a freight of ancient sleigh reindeer who neigh for leisure. And about 20 other freaking words that don't follow it. DAMN YOU ENGLISH!

Ikr, I love how English is like the hardest for me to type out xD I have x10 easier times with German and Portuguese because they have pretty set rules for pronouncing and it kinda follows typing 'em out so.

definitely is a word that i usually mess up on, and i can't spell correctly for the life of me

definitely is a word that i usually mess up on, and i can't spell correctly for the life of me

i actually learned that one after a while but yeah so many weird letter combos I'm like ?? how can people even remember without spell checking...

i actually learned that one after a while but yeah so many weird letter combos I'm like ?? how can people even remember without spell checking...

i usually replace one of the i's with an e or something, but lately i've been getting better at spelling it

Back