• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Read any good books lately?

I just finished this book called Carry On, and it was so incredibly good + it was written by favorite author, Rainbow Rowell. It?s probably now my favorite book of all time I might say. It?s a bit of a knock off of Harry Potter, except it?s a gay romance and has a widely different plot; it?s mainly just the setting that?s pretty similar, but it doesn?t get to the point where it?s overwhelming similar.

Sounds like it's worth checking out. I finished Prisoner of Azkaban this evening and had been thinking about if it were possible to write a story with some similarities to the HP books without them being perceived a copy.

I finished this really good book series but I'm kind of reluctant to share the name of the series because it has very, very detailed love scenes in them, so yeah, but the series was good. It took me a week to read all 12 books.

I read Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe a couple of days before I started college last month. Really cute story! It was the first book I've actually finished in ages and I read it all in the one day.

Sounds like it's worth checking out. I finished Prisoner of Azkaban this evening and had been thinking about if it were possible to write a story with some similarities to the HP books without them being perceived a copy.

I think it's completely possible, and Carry On is a great example of such things, so why not? :p

Last edited:
I think it's completely possible, and Carry On is a great example of such things, so why not? :p

I?ve read the first sixteen chapters while commuting today. Not sure what I think so far. It seems to have a rather slow start.

Then again, so does Harry Potter. :p

I’ve read the first sixteen chapters while commuting today. Not sure what I think so far. It seems to have a rather slow start.

Then again, so does Harry Potter. :p

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that, sorry; it starts to get exciting after 100 pages or so. It seems like a lot, but after you do get past it, it gets really good.

I read the outsiders recently I though it was a good book. I'm currently reading Frankenstein I haven't gotten that far yet though.

I've been having really bad focus issues this year, so it's been probably over a year since the last novel I finished, I've basically just been reading a lot of Archie comics haha.

Not sure if I've mentioned that I'm going to read it yet in this thread, but my mum recently got me Stephen King's "The Shining" and I'm so close to finishing The 5th Wave (too busy with school and work to finish it and I've been too unmotivated to read lately), and I'm definitely gonna read that afterwards. I'm P U M P E D.

Currently reading Aleph by Paulo Coelho. It's a bit overly spiritually pretentious but I was a bit curious about his works and while I probably wouldn't have started with this it's generally kind of interesting at parts.

I've been enjoying Paradise Lost recently! I've always thought it was a bit daunting, but having it assigned/forced upon me did some good. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would have read it.

Currently reading Do Android's Dream of Electric Sheep
it's an amazing book, it's what the Blade Runner movies are based off of

Horrorst?r was amazing

I've been trying to find this at a decent price since you mentioned it. Kindle Unlimited has spoiled me. Paying more than a few ? seems extortionate these days. Whereas ten years ago I wouldn't think twice about paying ?7-12 for a book.

My most recent reads have been rather dire. :( Although I just found out that The Vampire Fate by Michelle Madow was released a week and a half ago (I thought it was due out in November) so I know what I'll be reading tomorrow!

I don't read much, but I got an old astronomy textbook (not too old, it's from 2003; a blast from the past!) from the physics dept at my college and I really want to read it when I have some free time :D

Finished reading Aleph by Paulo Coelho today... Pretty ambivalent as a whole about it... On one hand it's a quite, interesting interesting story and different story from what I usually read. On the other hand, the religious and spiritual themes are pretty much forced down your throat and is around every three words so it gets both annoying and to a point ridiculous when you read and what happens.

I mean, I usually don't mind those themes and if people write in a way so you don't get them shoved down your throat and let you think, but yeah this book was just... uh can I just finish this already lol.
--

Oh well found 3 paperbacks at a second hand store a few days ago so might start on those soon enough hope they are better lol

Last edited:
i've been reading the moomin chapter books and the moomin comic strip! even though moomin is technically for kids, i feel like you get much more out of it if you read it when you're older. moomin makes me feel so peaceful- its such a lovely world, and even though there's greed and theft and hate in it, the lessons you learn from the moomin stories are so timeless and wonderfully thought out ;;

Back