• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

Read any good books lately?

God, I haven't read any books since I was in college. I really need to do that more.

For someone who hasn't read anything for fun in ages, what would you all recommend?

No idea at all what you are into, but On the Road by Jack Kerouac (unless you've read it already), and Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami are two of my all-time favourites.

Also pretty much anything by Yukio Mishima or Jos? Saramago is really good.

And can't forget The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa either.

Last edited:
I don't read that much but when I do I like to torture myself by reading Murakami's novels. I'm stuck in the middle of The Wind Up Bird Chronicle :( but I recently finished 1Q84 and I think I actually enjoyed it. Took me a year though because that thing is 1100 pages.

I've only managed a chapter of 1Q84. I think I might need to re-buy it digitally as I bought the original hardcover prints back at release and Bk1+2 is just so impractical to read. I was obsessed with Murakami in my teens. Never did get around to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle but it's been on my to-buy list for at least a decade.

God, I haven't read any books since I was in college. I really need to do that more.

For someone who hasn't read anything for fun in ages, what would you all recommend?

Any preferences as to genre, setting, contemporary vs classic, etc?

No idea at all what you are into, but On the Road by Jack Kerouac (unless you've read it already), and Almost Transparent Blue by Ryu Murakami are two of my all-time favourites.

I've lost track of the amount of times I've re-read Almost Transparent Blue. It's amazing.

I'm still working my way through Murder on the Orient Express. Not had much time for reading lately. Although I already know the next book on my list is Marilyn Manson's autobiography.

Last edited:
I've only managed a chapter of 1Q84. I think I might need to re-buy it digitally as I bought the original hardcover prints back at release and Bk1+2 is just so impractical to read. I was obsessed with Murakami in my teens. Never did get around to The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle but it's been on my to-buy list for at least a decade.

Any preferences as to genre, setting, contemporary vs classic, etc?

I've lost track of the amount of times I've re-read Almost Transparent Blue. It's amazing.

I'm still working my way through Murder on the Orient Express. Not had much time for reading lately. Although I already know the next book on my list is Marilyn Manson's autobiography.

Honestly, I don't know. Contemporary is better than classic for me though.

Honestly, I don't know. Contemporary is better than classic for me though.

Yeah, just a few suggestions though, no force down ya throat. I'm up for most though as long as it's not stereotype sci-fi or fantasy stuff.

@Tina.. Yes yes it's so amazing. I actually have two copies, bought the second one just because the book alone is pretty hard to find in stores here in general.

Also hnnng On The Road is so amazing, I just want it to go on forever T_T

It honestly makes me so happy to see so many readers out there. I swear this girl I catch the bus with and me are the only ones who read in my town.

Lately I had the joy of reading the Physics Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe. (in french: l?Ensorcel?e de Salem) (by the way english is not my mother tongue, let me know if my sentences make no sens)

This novel takes place in 2 different times, at the same place : Salem, MarbleHead, Massachusset? and Harvard University.

We follow the struggle of a History student who just got her master and is working on her future thesis. She studies witches and the witchunt. One of her teacher pushes her to go deeper on this way, and to find an original source, for example, a book that nobody would have study to this day, or a rare artefact.

At the same moment, her mother calls her and ask her to go clean an old family house because she needs to sell it. Obviously, said house is full of history and mysteries. :p

Some chapters take place at the times of with hunt, where three women for a same family try to make a living without getting arrested.

And then weird stuff happen and she finds a book that appears to be a grimoire, and her teacher starts acting weird and I could not sleep until I got to the last page ! :)

Last edited:
Just back from a short holiday. While away I got through:

The Long Hard Road Out of Hell by Marilyn Manson and The Vampire Wish, The Vampire Prince, and a third of The Vampire Trick by Michelle Madow. I'd definitely recommend this series as a bit of light reading - and it's included on Kindle Unlimited! It's sort of like Aladdin meets Stephanie Meyer's Twilight and Kiera Cass' The Selection.

I haven't read it before but am reading "Little Women" by choice.

Everyone please read more. I feel like an insane person. I've read another four books (and 70% of the way through a fifth) since I bumped this thread a week ago.

I've started re-reading the Harry Potter books. I've finished The Chamber of Secrets so far. I originally read the first five between 2001-2003 and then I was excited for the sixth, but within three days of it coming out my friend decided it was a great idea to stand in the middle of a crowded area in the school grounds and literally shout out "[...] DIES IN THE NEW HARRY POTTER BOOK". It put me off reading it altogether. So finally, 15 years later, I'm going to actually read it.

Last edited:
i just finished simon vs the homo sapiens agenda by becky albertalli, which a librarian recommended to me. i really enjoyed it

i don't read books very often as i sometimes have trouble comprehending what i'm reading, but i was trying to get into The Witcher series. i read 1 and a half of their books so far. the first one was good, but i can't remember what the second one was about, i kinda stopped reading it cause i got bored, there was too much dialog.

One of Us Is Lying is the book I just recently finished & it was really, really engaging & the characters were so well developed. I?m also almost finished with book 1 of The Faerie Queene and its very good, but I don?t suspect many people to willingly pick up a 1300 page epic about Queen Elizabeth I.

Last edited:
I am currently reading the book "The Girl's Guide" by Melissa Kirsch. It is about advice for young woman who have recently graduated college talking about advice for jobs, health and body image, relationships and how to maintain them. I only graduated high school about 4 months ago so I may be a little young still to be reading this book, but I love it! I find it very useful and enjoyable to read.

Finished On The Road yesterday (Jack Kerouac)..read it people!

Started on The Mystery of The Sintra Road just now though (yes I like roads lol). And it seems real nice as well wo, ayy diggin' it!

I'm currently reading 'A Friend for Life, the stories of love and rescue from Battersea Dogs and Cats home' about amazing stories of cats and dogs that have been giving a new lease of life. It has brought me to tears through both sadness and joy.

I'm really close to finishing The 5th Wave series. I would've normally finished it a while ago, but I've been busy with work and school so I haven't had much time to read it.
I honestly love this series. It's my third favourite ever (the top two being The Maze Runner and Harry Potter). My fourth favourite would be ASoUE, then the fifth the Hunger Games. Albeit, those are in terms of series, not regular books.
It's an intense series, The 5th Wave. I recommend it to all of you if you ever get the chance to pick it up. I love YA novels so much because I get so attached emotionally to the characters. They're also really easy to get into.

I just finished this book called Carry On, and it was so incredibly good + it was written by favorite author, Rainbow Rowell. It?s probably now my favorite book of all time I might say. It?s a bit of a knock off of Harry Potter, except it?s a gay romance and has a widely different plot; it?s mainly just the setting that?s pretty similar, but it doesn?t get to the point where it?s overwhelming similar.

Last edited:
Back