• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

wearing shoes in the house

I thought this was an Asian thing but someone here said no
Anyways, in all (East) Asian households I have visited, taking off shoes is a must. I always wear slippers when going to the bathroom and while I sometimes decide to only wear socks or go barefoot in summer, my parents always wear indoor slippers at home.
In the rare occasion a guest doesn't do that we ask them to do so. When I visit someone, it's common courtesy for me to take off my shoes regardless of whether they asked for it or not.

my brother will sometimes walk around the house with his shoes on if he's about to leave. i've seen some ugly public restrooms i don't want him wiping that off on my carpet smh

not true for japanese. we have genkan so we always take off our shoes and have house slippers.

i'm kinda curious where he got that idea, i thought it was pretty common knowledge that most asian households take off their shoes indoors.

i'm kinda curious where he got that idea, i thought it was pretty common knowledge that most asian households take off their shoes indoors.

^^ yeah. taking off shoes indoors is so ingrained in Japanese culture, there is genkan in most schools, restaurants, bath houses, and hotels... not just the house. XD

I wear my shoes inside a lot. Sometimes I even take naps in my bed with my shoes on. haha

It's such a habit for me that I often just keep my shoes on in friends' houses without thinking about it. Then I am reminded when I see the pain in their eyes when I step on a carpet or rug

Last edited:
I usually take my shoes off when I get home only because I hate wearing shoes. It is kind of gross and I wish my household would implement a no shoes policy but most of my family wears shoes around the house. But we have animals and stuff too so it's not like it'd be much cleaner if they didn't cause the animals would still be tracking in all sorts of stuff.

I never wear shoes inside a home.

ew no! sometimes if theres someone in my house ill wear shoes but not when ive just come in from rain or something lol

I don't wear my shoes in the house, definitely not. And I don't like guests wearing their shoes in the house, but I have too much social anxiety to actually enforce that rule so I usually end up just needing to have the carpet disinfected after they leave...

Tbh am I the only person who doesn't mind shoes in the house

I mean come on, a little dirt don't kill

It's acceptable if you're downstairs near where the door is, and on hardwood or tile just as long as your shoes aren't wet. Almost never walk on carpet with shoes on. NEVER go upstairs with shoes on. NEVER walk into someone's room with shoes on ESPECIALLY carpeted bedrooms.

And for the love of all that is holy, don't you dare put your shoes up on the bed or the couch. I cannot stand that.

It's dirty but it's what I'm used to. I wear slippers most of the time but I don't have a place to leave my shoes in the entrance like japenese do.

i don't wear shoes in my house. i don't mind when people come in my house without shoes but, if you track mud everywhere then i will make sure that is your last visit.

I wear slippers, and I have spare slippers for guests too. They have a hard time refusing the pikachu slippers (don't worry, they're clean!)

When I'm getting ready to leave, I might grab something from the kitchen/bedroom with them on, but that's the only occasion

Back