• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

9/13/2017 Nintendo Direct

This Nintendo Direct presentation might be a little on the short side when it comes to unveiling new games and challenging our expectations, but it still has its moments of delight here and there. Here's some of the announcements that caught most of my attention:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 releasing on December 1st 2017

I'm honestly surprised that they're releasing in North America this early, considering on how likely it would end up being delayed. Some may argue that Monolith Soft reused the engine from Xenoblade Chronicles X for the sequel, others might believe the title was being in development for quite a long while before Nintendo Switch was even announced.

Though, dragging the tutorial part for longer than it needed to was kinda unbearable.

Mario Party: The Top 100

Among one of the few surprise announcements of the Nintendo Direct, there's the Mario Party game that will remake 100 of the mini-games found in the first ten numbered Mario Party installments.

Despite the trailer solely focusing on these mini-games, there are indeed boards in this one as well, but we still don't have any information about them at the moment. I have a bad feeling they'll throw in generic boards instead of the boards from the past games.

Also, there appears to be more characters that might end up being playable that aren't shown yet. According to this non-official website, there are arts for Bowser, Donkey Kong, Toad and Toadette.

Nintendo Arcades Archives

So, they're bringing an arcade version for some of the NES classic games? Interesting. Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Pinball, Clu Clu Land and Punch-Out!! are what they're bringing to Nintendo Switch eShop. There are certainly more arcade titles from Nintendo than what's being ported over, such as Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr.

Since these games are only slightly different to their NES counterpart in most cases, I don't see myself being fully invested in them.

That's pretty much what I have in mind about tonight's Nintendo Direct. Keep in mind that I haven't seen many titles being released for Spring 2018, so another presentation would easily land on December or January.

Wow, we actually got a character in FE Warriors that wasn't from Awakening or Fates. That was shocking.

It was obvious Nintendo was going to ignore Animal Crossing. (I have given up on it at this point.)

I think I might get the Goomba and Koopa Troopa amiibo, but I might not since I already want the Chrom amiibo.

I'm excited for Super Mario Odyssey. Nothing new there.

I'm VERY excited for Kirby: Star Allies, which is coming next Spring. It seems to be a reimagined version of the canceled Gamecube game. This might be one of the best Kirby games yet! :D

WHERE IS THE NEW ANIMAL CROSSING GAME IM 9999999% DONE WITH NINTENDO

i can't believe i woke up at 8am for this **** when i didn't even get home until 3am so i slept until 2pm to ease the pain

not the worst direct, but there really wasn't a lot that i cared about

i can't believe i woke up at 8am for this **** when i didn't even get home until 3am so i slept until 2pm to ease the pain

not the worst direct, but there really wasn't a lot that i cared about

Yeah I'm usually the guy who is like "it wasn't that bad you guys just had unrealistic expectations".... But this one was pretty underwhelming honestly.

I'm pretty keen for the new 2ds xl I love me some pokemon balls.
also Dragon Quest Builder, but I wish they would bring out the Mario party top 100 for the switch with upped graphics, I loves the mini games.

Was clear that they didn't say stuff about a new Animal Crossing, Smash Bros. and all the games people
wanted to see there. Pretty sure there is a better chance for an announcement for game like these at E3
2018 (if Nintendo doesn't make any special directs about it this year).

The highlights for me from that direct was that Poke Ball New 2DS XL (which I gonna buy) as well as Super
Mario Odyssey. Kirby looks also good.

About USUM: Don't know what I should say about these new Ultra Beasts, they looks more like abstract
art then Pokemon, but thats just my opinion. Also nice that you can get a Celebi.

Last edited:
About USUM: Don't know what I should say about these new Ultra Beasts, they looks more like abstract
art then Pokemon, but thats just my opinion. Also nice that you can get a Celebi.

Ultra Beasts aren't Pokemon tho, they're supposed to look like that a they come from an AU.

no animal crossing wtf is the app coming out or not

Yeah...

I don't even want to play the darn thing, but the longer we go without any kind of news on the oft-delayed app + no news of the Switch release = the more nervous I get :(

Woo, pre-purchased Pok?mon Silver on my Japanese 3ds now so gonna stare on it for week now aha. Worth it for the theme and Celebi code though I guess, dunno if I'm gonna redeem it on regular Sun or wait for the USUM release and keep it there (Yeah I could probably get Pok?bank I guess though but yeah if they are gonna let em exist side by side and only like do Pikachu cap event for USUM it seems a bit lol)

That Xenoblade bit lasted a bit too long.

I'm still on the fence about getting US&M :/

It doesn't seem that much different from S&M and imo, Sun and Moon are still pretty relatively new games.

I'm still on the fence about getting US&M :/

It doesn't seem that much different from S&M and imo, Sun and Moon are still pretty relatively new games.
You do know they've release a Pokemon game every year from black white 1 to oras? It's not strange to see a new one coming out one year after the first game of gen 7

Back