• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is it worth buying?

I got it included with my special edition 3ds, I personally dont think it is worth it at full price, For an Animal crossing game where I put 1500 hours into ACNL. I've had HHD for almost 2 years and barely put 30 hours into it. I tend to only play around 15 minutes at a time and I can hardly even do that because I got bored half way designing a house.

Last edited:
Yeah, idk I got like 83 hours when I was done with all the non-special characters (except for K.K) and I redid some of the homes/facilities. Yeah, it's def not worth full price but yeah Idk I wanna get it now again...

I have the same question as you xD I feel like I would buy it because I kinda am interested in knowing all the items in ACNL so I think that would help me, plus it'll improve my interior (and exterior with the backyard feature) designing skills on my main game, but I'm not sure yet since I don't have money ahahahahaha

i don't play it often, but it's a fun game. if you like designing houses (the inside, outside, lawn, etc), you'll enjoy it. i myself am not even a big fan of that since i don't feel i'm much good at it compared to others, but i still find the game enjoyable. there's no rush to keep playing like in NL, so you don't have to worry about your relationships between characters, people moving, etc. the game isn't in real time. also as you keep playing, you get to do things you wouldn't even dream of in NL, like add doors, items that hang from the ceilings, and more. you can also change your character appearance (yes, including the face and skin tone!) at any time. you also don't just design houses, you get the chance to design a cafe, school, doctor's office, shop, and more.

sorry if any or all of this was mentioned before, i didn't sift through all the replies. but TL;DR - i find it fun and it's worth giving it a shot if you're into the designing feature of NL.

Got it again, and yeah now I definitely have to say yes, aha. Started getting amiibo cards as well, don't know if I will get any actual amiibos now though so that's cool too I guess.

I won't rush it like last time unless they like magically have some event here really soon on it though :p

I would not buy it at full price, it can get old pretty quick.

Yeah, $50 or more for the whole thing unless you get like the NFC reader/amiibo bundle is a bit much, but honestly now that I've played (got the game and an amiibo card so yeah guess that makes up for it and the game was used as well so it was bit cheaper) it's more and more fun.

And yeah I think you need to limit yourself to a few rooms per day (unless you might have amiibos/cards you are itching to do, or if you want to unlock someone's items faster) or yes it will probably burn you out.

I've also been thinking about getting animal crossing happy home designer for quite some time now. I don't know anything about it to be completely honest, but it sounds and looks entertaining so I think I'll go for it. That's basically what I look for in a game. Does it look good and is it actually living up to its expectations.

Okay, as cute as the idea was, it got boring for me (personally.)

There's something so un-AC like about being so restricted? I didn't like the way it was set up. The ideas the villagers had were sometimes not very enjoyable, and while I HIGHLY appreciate the new furniture and features that the game brought to ACNL, it was just lacking. I do hope that they released such a game only to hold off their customers for some big new game coming out that still needs some time to be worked on before it's released. Honestly, I think that's why they made it. But I was very disappointed when I got it and I don't think, if I suddenly lost my copy, I'd be quick to buy it again.

It is good for decorating and experimenting with decorating though! I personally love interior decoration and that was always one of the big things that made AC so enjoyable for me. I've used it a few times just to play with ideas before committing to them and performing them on my players' houses in my ACNL towns.

That's just my opinion though. It's a cute concept, just not up to par with ACNL and since I'm spoiled with the latter, I don't find satisfaction with it.

Yeah I can agree the themes are a bit restricted at some points, especially when you get like 3 office/doctor's room etc. requests after another, however I try to pick different themes if I can. Also wish they'd make the rooms a bit bigger, although that would probably put the screenshot function in a bit bad light because the pictures would probably be a bit cropped and stretched.

But I must say it's probably useful for Fair activities (if they have another before the 3ds is cut off completely) since you can get most items pretty fast if you actually do some rooms. Not a fan that you have to waste Play Coins just to unlock some "basic" features, although I guess that's better than waiting like 10 real days or actually try and dig up/buy/etc. everything.

I mean I really like doing rooms so for me it's great, I guess. But yeah it's your own preferences that should make it worth buying, or not. Do you like decorating, dragging your villager around the room and playing a bit more limited? Then yes it's for you. Do you like the open space ideas of New Leaf and want to hang out more than just doing rooms and facilities, fish, garden etc? Then maybe it's not your game unless you want a good complement game.

I've gotten HHD on accident, by wanting to buy something else.
Of course it made me happy to get the game. But it's really repetitive. D?corating is fun, but there's not a lot compared to Animal Crossing. For me it's not the kind of game I could spend hours playing. A little bit from times to times is okay !
But this is only my opinion, if you really want to know, see for yourself :)
If you really want it, then go for it. Why not ?

I tried it out, and it wasn't really for me....

But my 8 year old daughter absolutely ADORES it. So much so, that she went to school and told all her friends about it, and about 2 weeks later, literally every girl in her friend group had it on their 2ds or 3ds, and they would sit at recess and talk about their latest designs. xD

Right now the popularity of the game is very low. The game is repetitive, and will get boring for most people. I only check it every 4 months or something, that's how boring it is. Wouldn't recommend unless you get it for a cheap price and really want it. It's nothing compared to New Leaf, just some boring spinoff.

Although it's not on the same par as new leaf (with extremely few games being so), and although this is not the sequel we deserve, it actually manages to be what I would describe as the very best possible faux stand in for what we should have got as it is probably possible for it to be? I mean like, this is as solidly nice as a side entry to the series of animal crossing, as mystery dungeon and ranger were to the main pokemon series. Although without as much variety, it's very much still built off the same actions and graphics and has the same decorating essense as you can find in the main series. I mean, in comparison, you have the boardgame one and that one is so bad that even as an incredibly dedicated fan, I haven't played it.

I think the result is, because side entries of series have a bad stigma/rep, and because new leaf in particularly is a godly level good game (imo) it means that this game gets a lot of flack from trying to stand near it. I think that so long as you're able to work with intrinsic motivation, and pretty much anyone playing AC has to be doing that to some degree, you will set goals, find things that amuse you about it and develop a play style that will match it.

Though, no doubt about it, it can be repetitive in spots, especially if like me you decide to unlock everything first before decorating so that when you do, you'll have all possible options available and thus make the best design without having to come back and redo them all later, but the same is easily said of the main game depending on your goals (tell me catching 5000 fish for the gold medal is not at least as bad as trying to go through house designs that don't actually even judge you harshly and are mostly just cutscene haha).

Last edited:
It's nothing compared to New Leaf, just some boring spinoff.

It is not a 'boring spin-off'. I agree it's a bit expensive for its price unless you happen to get it cheap but it's not really meant to be a full New Leaf sequel anyway. It might not be as money-grab as Amiibo festival and while you can't do all the villager things as in New Leaf, it's meant to be a side-game to it where you can focus more on decorating.

Yes because they are more different items than New Leaf, but since the update had happened it's like better. I rather buy it.

Back