• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Is it worth buying?

Mayor Miraland

I've got the big gay™
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8278-7853-6880
Cherry (Fruit)
Ancient Candle
I've been thinking about buying happy home designer but I'm saving atm, is it worth it? thanks ^-^

personally, I don't feel the game is worth buying. I genuinely had fun with it for like.... 3 hours? but it is far to repetitive and feels a bit pointless. The new items are cute, but most are in the update for acnl anyway.

I feel especially since the decorating method was added to acnl, there is no reason to play HHD.

personally, I don't feel the game is worth buying. I genuinely had fun with it for like.... 3 hours? but it is far to repetitive and feels a bit pointless. The new items are cute, but most are in the update for acnl anyway.

I feel especially since the decorating method was added to acnl, there is no reason to play HHD.

I probably won't buy it then, the main draw for me was the ability to place items outside though, is that fun?

Honestly, I was really excited for the game, it's probably a good buy if you're very good at designing houses in ACNL. I'm awful at it, and if you're like me it's probably not worth it. Like Warrior said, very repetitive and gets boring quite fast. Decorating outside isn't a lot different to decorating inside, and you can also do similar things in ACNL with gardening.

Overall, nah don't get it. But I suggest you watch some gameplays/trailers and stuff like that to help you decide.

If you liked the designing houses and homes of the main NL games, then yes. It might seem a bit more chore than NL maybe, but on the other hand you don't have to worry about moving in and out etc. and do things you own pace :)

If you more like the outside house/home world such as actually going to villagers and keeping dreamies, designing more fashion things etc. then not really. And don't play too long at one time, then it will bore you for sure.

I got my HHD game in a bundle with the New 3ds XL some years ago so yeah I couldn't really avoid it :p So yeah unless you get it in a bundle or discounted I don't think I'd bought it, I wasn't that hardcore.

Last edited:
Depends on who you ask, I'd say that it's worth buying. But I also enjoy the freedom that the game brings to decorating houses. In the end only you can really decide if it's worth the price, since it's such a preference heavy game.

Honestly, I also don't think it was worth it. But the way I attained it, I WOULD say it was worth it because I got it off of Amazon in a bundle.. Long story short I have the old DS and needed to purchase the amiibo reader and found they were sold out every where. I found an ACHHD bundle on amazon that sold the game, reader and came with a free bonus amiibo card (I got Kapp'n) but like the previous person said, I played maybe 3-5 hours of it and I'm bored with it. It's still as limiting as the ACNL furniture is, and most of it has been added to ACNL with the WA update. You can't place things the way you want to and even though you get to design venues like a school, cafe, store, etc. You're still limited on creativity because placing certain things is still wonky and limited as the game starts out. I don't think it was worth it but it's ultimately what you think. I read a bunch of reviews raving about it and saying "If you love AC you'll love this" but I don't like it. Hope this helps.

tbh i reeeallly like hhd- mostly because i'm a huge decorator and even four characters in my acnl town isn't enough rooms for me to decorate.

i really like being able to place furniture outside, and i really like taking the theme they give you and making it unique.

the reason why so many people don't like it is because it's more of a chill, every-once-in-a-while game. if you're looking for a game to play for hours in a row, this isn't really the game for that (arguably, acnl isn't an hours-long-playtime game either, but people here come up with real creative reasons to keep playing for long periods of time). if you like design and cute landscaping, i would maybe pick up a copy if you have the money for it.

:)

Ive had hhd for like 2 weeks bc ive had trouble getting my hands on it and? I find it entertaining, even still. I just designed 2-3 houses today along with an office building and i find its a good pass time for when you dont feel like playing New Leaf

ehh tbh its kinda boring after a while. But buy it if you want it. I recommend getting it used or on sale because if you buy it new for a lot of money, you might be disappointed.

i personally adore HHD. in my opinion it gives you the creative expression that acnl has with designing without needing the patience. all of the furniture is right there at your disposal. even if something you want isn't available immediately, you'll probably unlock it eventually. you get to interact with SO many characters. designig a house for your dreamie is so fun. i personally could play HHD for hours and i think it's totally worth the investment

I think it's worth it. I didn't know this about me, but I actually like designing houses! My favorite thing to do is design the new facilities, and then see villagers appear in it once you're done, it's really refreshing. But I don't think it's a game you could play everyday like New Leaf, because the game runs on its own time so you can play for a couple of hours and unlock almost everything. I mean I wouldn't know, but I finished building the hospital, school, cafe, restaurant, office, and department store so idk if there's anything else for me to build.

i honestly love hhd! i've had it for at least 3 months now and even though i dont play it every day it's really entertaining. i've always liked stuff involving houses/interior design (the sims, hgtv, etc) though, so if that's not something you find fun i wouldn't get it. like karminny said, it's great when you want to play something involving animal crossing but dont feel like any of the main games

Yes, it's worth it! :) I would recommend you buy it today, since it was released on this day two years ago! (September 25th, 2015)

Yes, it's worth it! :) I would recommend you buy it today, since it was released on this day two years ago! (September 25th, 2015)

Oh my god has it been 2 years?

I bought it a few days after release and I haven't even completed all of the main buildings x.x

I purchased "Happy Home Designer" right on its U.S. release date.

I played it quite a bit in its first couple months. Maybe some around Christmas 2015.

I enjoyed "Happy Home Designer" mainly for the amiibo cards. I have all 400. Those turned out to be a blessing because of how "New Leaf" was updated to "Welcome amiibo" (and that I was able to scan in any villager's card for a move-in).

When it comes to design in "Happy Home Designer," most people enjoys bits of it; put it down for a while; return to it later; repeat that process. Some get bored and don't return. And others, who like design in general, appreciate it for that pleasure.

If you can get it a low price, and you would like it, then go for it. But, more than that, really know yourself for how much use you will get out of it. That way, if you do purchase, the price will not be so important. (But a low price is an incentive to making the purchase.)

- - - Post Merge - - -

I need to add this: The reason I didn't put "Happy Home Designer" to as much use as "New Leaf" was not just because it is interior and exterior design. I knew that going in. The reason is that one's human character does not get to have the same bonding with villagers as one does in "New Leaf." (Again, I was told of this before the purchase. I watched YouTube-uploaded videos of people who played the Japanese release. They mentioned this.)

Last edited:
I'd say it's really not worth it. It doesn't bring much to the table that warrants a completely new game, and it really has none of my favorite features from a normal Animal Crossing

Back