• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

What do you think of the mental health system in your country?

From a UK perspective, I've also had a horrible time with CAMHS - they made my 'problem' worse - even just through their mannerisms and the way they spoke to me, it's honestly disgusting. My therapist wouldn't even make the effort to remember my name or take me seriously, luckily I didn't stay with them for very long - I went there when I was 16/17 and they seem to be more suitable for people much younger, but even the waiting list to get an appointment was 4 months - then when I was eventually able to get treatment (and I felt as if I was finally getting somewhere/ a turning point) I had never felt so hopeless due to them, it was a complete U turn. If anyone is conidering recieving any treatment from CAMHS do not bother until their system has had a total revamp, especailly when there's alternative services that're so much better but may not be offered to you as the first option.
My gp doesn't give anti-depressants to patients as it 'increases suicide rates', so I've only been able to go through the CBT option, from my experience it completely depends on your therapist - how 'good' they are and if you're sort of able to get along with them and trust them, when you get the right therapist they truely make such a difference.

From a UK perspective, I've also had a horrible time with CAMHS - they made my 'problem' worse - even just through their mannerisms and the way they spoke to me, it's honestly disgusting. My therapist wouldn't even make the effort to remember my name or take me seriously, luckily I didn't stay with them for very long - I went there when I was 16/17 and they seem to be more suitable for people much younger, but even the waiting list to get an appointment was 4 months - then when I was eventually able to get treatment (and I felt as if I was finally getting somewhere/ a turning point) I had never felt so hopeless due to them, it was a complete U turn. If anyone is conidering recieving any treatment from CAMHS do not bother until their system has had a total revamp, especailly when there's alternative services that're so much better but may not be offered to you as the first option.
My gp doesn't give anti-depressants to patients as it 'increases suicide rates', so I've only been able to go through the CBT option, from my experience it completely depends on your therapist - how 'good' they are and if you're sort of able to get along with them and trust them, when you get the right therapist they truely make such a difference.

ok but wtf is wrong with a therapist that doesn't remember your name, that shouldn't even happen in the first session because they should have read through your files and made sure to learn your name before going into the session.... that kind of behaviour is so unprofessional and pretty much tells the patient that "hey yeah uhhh We Don't Give A Darn About You lol bye" ????? like ... seriously what is wrong with them ...
and w/ the antidepressants increasing suicide rates idk but my last psychiatrist who put me on my first antidepressants said that some people need to be hospitalized the first week or so after starting meds because they've started giving you more motivation to do stuff but you still feel like crap, which can result in suicide attempts. but it's not like antidepressants cause suicide (that'd b like... "hey we have a great medicine that will cure ALL illnesses and conditions!!! it's called Death, ask your doctor to prescribe you Death today and you will be freed from all your pains! :')") and refusing to prescribe them to people because of that is stupid.

fghsdfhd it sucks that so many people have bad experiences with mental health professionals

Back