• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Should I get Colors! 3D?

EvieEvening23

Queen of Ducks
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
May Birthstone (Emerald)
April Birthstone (Diamond)
March Birthstone (Aquamarine)
February Birthstone (Amethyst)
January Birthstone (Garnet)
I've started to take up art as a hobby and started drawing some of my favorite ACNL villagers and maybe some mayors. But as of now, I'm stuck with just colored pencils and paper and my house's lighting isn't exactly helping the image's colors pop. So, I found out that there was a 3DS art game called (it's in the title). I want to try my hand in digital drawing (drawing tablet is too much money ;n;) and it's only $7 in the eShop but I want to see if it's worth it (I want a big color palette, easy to learn, that stuff).

For those of you that have it, what do you think of the game? Do you like it? Hate it? Ok with it? Just lk down below, I'd like to hear your opinions.

Colors! 3D is what I mainly use to draw.

You can choose any color you desire. It's very simple and easy to learn(there's only 3 drawing tools and the eraser, as well as some other settings), and there are MULTIPLE LAYERS TO DRAW ON, which means you don't have to stress as much about messing up your drawing. You can also see how long you took on a painting, which I find neat.

There is an online gallery you can post your art to if you have an internet connection on your 3DS and create an account, as long as your art is appropriate.

I highly recommend it, especially since it's only 7 dollars.

Colors! 3D is what I mainly use to draw.

You can choose any color you desire. It's very simple and easy to learn(there's only 3 drawing tools and the eraser, as well as some other settings), and there are MULTIPLE LAYERS TO DRAW ON, which means you don't have to stress as much about messing up your drawing. You can also see how long you took on a painting, which I find neat.

There is an online gallery you can post your art to if you have an internet connection on your 3DS and create an account, as long as your art is appropriate.

I highly recommend it, especially since it's only 7 dollars.

what I really look forward in doing is layers since I tend to sketch before I draw stuff and there are still lots of pencil marks in the finished drawing (luckily my lighting tends to hide the lines).

Question to people who draw traditionally, my lighting makes the picture I scan in look blue or orange. Do you know how I should fix that?

Yes omg Colors 3D is so awesome

That's what I use to make all of my art commissions! Remember the Altaria I drew for you? It was drawn in Colors 3D.
You can make some seriously good art with Colors 3D but it definitely takes learning and skill to be able to do so.

I would absolutely recommend it though. It's the best drawing app I've ever used! :)

It sounds to me like you've got your mind made up, that you want to get it.

So I'd say go for it!

Sure! I heard its great, so I'm planning to get it when it's on sale, there's no way in hell I'm getting it for 7 bucks.

I think you should get it but if you can.. blow it on Pokemon art academy! It's so good.but I think this is good too :p

It's great! It has a full pallet to pick colors from, layers, different mediums, brushes, papers, it's great. I think they have an app/website too.
Unfortunately, I have ham hands and can't get the exact precision like I do with pencils, so I mainly use it for making backgrounds.
I wouldn't exactly recommend going into the social aspect of it, though there a dozens of great artists (I recognized some people from here) and awesome art; there is a great deal of the pieces from people who need either consoling or to not to post everything that they draw. Last time I was there, it was disturbing, to say the least.

- - - Post Merge - - -

Anyway, it's well worth the $7.

Last edited:
Colors is pretty fun. You can draw on different layers and use the layers to add a cool 3D effect. It also lets you play a video of the process of any drawing. It is interesting to see how other artists build up their drawings. It just only saves a certain amount of lines though, so it might not show how the whole drawing was completed. I think there are also weekly challenges that are fun to enter.

Back