• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

School makes me Anxious

ja2mine

ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ
Bells
Red Candy
October Birthstone (Opal)
September Birthstone (Sapphire)
Tasty Cake
Voodoo Doll
I'm wondering if its only me but tbh the thought of even stepping into school makes me sick to my stomach and nervous??? honestly even minor tasks like sitting beside people i dont know makes me scared to go to school...

I legit wish school didn't make me do things like speeches because I have severe anxiety. Ik i'm being drastic because obviously we have to learn how to give a speech but it just makes me stressed for unnecessary reasons because i'm scared of embarrassing myself

Does this happen with anyone else?

I legit wish school didn't make me do things like speeches because I have severe anxiety. Ik i'm being drastic because obviously we have to learn how to give a speech but it just makes me stressed for unnecessary reasons because i'm scared of embarrassing myself

In general it's a good skill to learn and for many people it's helpful to sometimes get out of their comfort zone. However, the average person will rarely if never give a speech in their life (especially someone with anxiety, who is unlikely to seek out a job where that would be required)

I know from personal experience how hindering anxiety can be and am sorry you're going through that. Maybe there would be some adjustments your teachers could make to help you feel more comfortable?

it happens to me all the time. i have two huge presentations for about 30 mins each these upcoming 2 weeks and i've been having anxiety attacks all day and it's not even close to time for them yet. i shake excessively when i have to do presentations & my voice quivers, but i have to do them so often in my major that i just have to suffer through them.

i don't like college at all.

I just did my first speech last Friday in public speaking class at my college. It was about picking 3 objects that describe yourself. I get so nervous when I have to speak in front of a bunch of people. My mind races and my mouth can't keep up, so I stumble over my words and end up even more nervous. I basically made a bunch of comments about how trashy my life is.

Apparently they liked it...?

Last edited:
I hate school sometimes for that too :( it's hard I know but hopefully you will learn to overcome your fears! I once freaked out in my final year at college in front of like my classmates and teachers lol I'm not sure why I did.... but what's happened has gone and I try not to analyze the past.

I know what helps me is just to tell myself that other people care more about themselves than you. Kind of harsh I know, but it really is reality. Try not to worry so much and take your time to overcome your anxieties! I'm still learning too~ and just know you're not alone!

better to face your fears than letting it cripple you in my opinion! :)

yeah i feel u, school gives me a bunch of anxiety too. i dont deal w it very well (instead of trying to do something about my anxiety abt ppl in school i completely isolate myself and avoid people as much as i can lol) but uhh i hope u can find ways 2 deal w ur anxiety !!!

ah yes. i have a stammer, which makes my life just grand- often i'll have to rephrase a sentence just so my mouth will allow me to start saying it, which honestly has made me an english whizz in terms of copying someone's words but changing them to sound like my own.

in terms of actual anxiety, i don't suffer with that. i sometimes feel nervous about big things (like going on a residential school trip), simply because it is unknown, but i don't mind going to college as that is the same each day. very occasionally, i'll feel a little awkward when there is no conversation going in the group and i last spoke, but nothing massive.

//also embarrassing yourself isn't that bad during a speech, in year 10 (two years ago) me and my friend gave a presentation to the class on this poem, and had a video of some boy reading it. we hadn't bothered watching the entire video as it seemed fine in the first few seconds (it was a delaying tactic to bring us up to the 5 minute mark so we didn't have to speak as much). at the end of the video, with this boy being entirely calm and collected reading whatever poem it was, he pulled an intense face and a huge bass sound started playing and the whole class (including me and my friend) started screaming with laughter. not my proudest moment as i literally could not speak after being betrayed by charles gray.

check out the vid though it's a grand ending:

It's fine, I totally understand your pain and anxiety.
I feel that you should probably practice a bit more.
All I used to do is just get up on my bed and read my speech confidently.
I remember one of my most successful speeches.
I was so confident and I believed in it and I ended up making everybody laugh and I got the best score.
If you're scared of making a speech, just include three things in it:
• (only a bit, depending on your grade) of humour
• a confident and powerful voice - act as if you're a president
• an ability to stand in front of everybody and project your voice.
Trust me, you'd get used to this, and once you deliver one successful speech, then you'll be excited to actually do them.

I was so confident and I believed in it and I ended up making everybody laugh and I got the best score.
Trust me, you'd get used to this, and once you deliver one successful speech, then you'll be excited to actually do them.

This is so true!

I hated speaking in front of an audience because of my anxiety but I remember forcing it all on myself. In fact, I had to do two presentations in one day. The first, I was extremely shaky and nervous but by the time I got round to the second one, I felt strangely calm and was able to remain eye contact with whoever was listening. It was an amazing feeling, for the first time, I actually didn't feel nervous for one bit. It's the smallest changes that can really turn your feelings upside down.

During that second presentation, I came to the conclusion that I am capable of doing it. I must say, the more you do it, the more you'll be able to feel comfortable about doing it. Confidence will come, if you allow it.

This is incredibly solid advice. Follow this, OP!

Also yeah, I always get really bad anxiety about going out into school or work (especially on busy days). I don't get as anxious at going to school anymore but work is a whole 'nother story.

yeah i get you
sitting next to people who arent my close friends make me uncomfortable
im too close to this random person arg

i always feel the same, but the way i overcome it is i have a "just do it" mentality that plays in my head, and this is with things like presentations, putting my hand up and talking to people. this mentality isn't very useful for most people

I'm always anxious in school, but over time a repetitive routine became like autopilot to me. It's just things like group projects/discussions make me nervous. Also I remember once I went to the nurse for a check up, like every student is required to each year. She would record my heart beat rate, and asked "Did you just come back from gym? Your heart rate is really high". I told her I was just nervous, and she's like "why?", as if that makes me feel better lol... So she said I can lay down in this other room until I relax to try recording my heart beat again, which hardly made a difference. Anxiety sucks :))))))

Back