How do you feel about the education system?

wizard

Landon
Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Green Candy
Yellow Candy
Tasty Cake
Here in the USA, it's obviously disgustingly absolutely horrible, I don't remember anything I learn after I take a test, and what I do learn is useless information I will never use in life after I graduate forever (maybe I won't even use the information when I get to high school). I've already forgot how to add fractions that don't have the same denominator.

It doesn't just need to be worked on or reformed, it need a huge and complete change, nothing can be the same.

Last edited:
it needs work for sure, but the responsibility of the student is to learn & continue to study/learn/develop things that they need to know. you can't expect to only do things in class & remember it forever.

I've already forgot how to add fractions that don't have the same denominator.

Of all the examples you could have used, aside from the absolute basics (addition/subtraction/multiplication/division) this is probably the one I use the most after school without my job demanding it.

Stay in school.

Don't do drugs.

The school system where I'm from (Germany) is flawed itself, but it's definitely better than the one here in the US.

Some differences that I noticed when starting college here:

- I had never taken a single multiple choice test before - everything was always short answer format, which requires active processing and recall of the information instead of just blind memorization

- Essays were handwritten in class, not take-home assignments - this helps with naturally picking up spelling and grammar, because there is no programm to check and correct your writing

- Homework assignments were never graded - it is your own choice and responsibility to study when necessary, and teaches you to be self-motivated

- High School seniors are trusted to attend class whenever able and allowed to miss it when not, because they are treated more as adults than children - this again makes students take responsibility for themselves

- Classes aren't pick and choose - every student is required to take all subjects offered to a level that ensures a well-rounded education (as an example, basically ALL Gen Ed classes I took at my college in the US covered material I already knew)

Another significant difference is that not all students have to attend 12 years of school to get a High School degree. There are degrees which only take 9-10 years instead. This allows students who aren't as good in an academic setting to start work training instead and still get into a well-paying job (unlike here, where I might end up working minimum wage even though I have a college degree!)

it needs work for sure, but the responsibility of the student is to learn & continue to study/learn/develop things that they need to know. you can't expect to only do things in class & remember it forever.

That's true in an ideal world, but unfortunately that skill itself needs to be taught to most people.

School makes me dumber, I start to forget basic math (not super basic, but fractions percentages stuff like that) because of all the complex math, then since that math is so complex my brain can't keep it in so I forget about that, leaving me forgetting 2 things when it could be 0.

In the USA it's complete and total crap in almost every conceivable way.

I've only been in college for 2 weeks and I already feel the huge relief from getting out of high school. I absolutely hated how the education system worked. All my classes were really slow-paced and I didn't really feel like I was learning effectively (except for in my government class).

The education system here needs a serious overhaul.

the us school system seems really bad, obviously idk everything about it but it has a lot of things that are really weird to me. i think the schools focus way too much on the wrong things (sports, dress codes, memorizing facts instead of learning skills etc.) and idk i just think it sounds really bad.

i live in sweden and i think the school system is okay, there are things that need to change but for the most part it works alright. i think the political parties want to do a lot of changes that will just make it worse and more complicated. u can really tell that it was decades since any of them were in school and it's almost embarrassing to hear politicians fight about things like when kids should start getting grades or how many more school hours that should be mandatory. some parties are Wild and seem to think that if we just add fifty hours of school every week and give out grades from first grade everyone will pass and every problem w swedish schools will go away. imo it's all way too focused on the idea that everyone is lazy and stupid hdhdjsjkdjs.
i wish they would stop being like "swedish kids are getting really stupid and theyre all failing uhhhhhh let's fix it by messing stuff up :') " and instead listen to students and teachers who actually know what they're talking about.

in the uk it's quite nice, i'm 17 and have forgotten all maths, science and english and now do 3 subjects in college so

It makes no sense to my why we are taught USELESS stuff that we will NEVER use in life and that we'll just forget it. It's such a waste of time when we could be learning actual important stuff we will use in life. If your job requires some complicated useless math, then learn that in college, when you know what you want to be, not when your in middle school or high school where for 99.9% of people it's useless. And they act like not being in uniform is so distracting to other kids when it's not and like it will give you higher grades even though it lowers your grades by making you focus on how uncomfortable the uniform is instead of your work. And I just love how teachers say we need to be different because if everyone was the same it would be boring, even though they force us to wear the uniforms that make us all look the same, and school is already super boring.

- - - Post Merge - - -

In the USA it's complete and total crap in almost every conceivable way.

True. I think the government is dumb or something for not changing it. Teachers too because somehow they think we are learning really important stuff that we'll use life, even though we are not at all.

Last edited:
Elementary through high school is just the basics. That's it. It's supposed to be what allows you to scrape by on life and give you a wide, yet basic, understanding of how things work. Yes, it could be better in some aspects. Should they teach us how to sew a button, pay taxes, and change a flat tire? Yes. But it's up to you to retain those lessons. How are you supposed to move forward if you keep dwelling on basic subjects?

The fact that you can't add fractions is your own fault. How hard is it to find a common denominator?

1/2 + 1/3 -> 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6

That was easy.

College is for specialized learning that builds on the basics so you can hopefully get a job in your field of study.

it's alright i guess
all subjects are useful and can be interesting
i think the reason why they don't teach you about survival because they think it's unnecessary or with my school it's a one-off thing to talk about

Elementary through high school is just the basics. That's it. It's supposed to be what allows you to scrape by on life and give you a wide, yet basic, understanding of how things work. Yes, it could be better in some aspects. Should they teach us how to sew a button, pay taxes, and change a flat tire? Yes. But it's up to you to retain those lessons. How are you supposed to move forward if you keep dwelling on basic subjects?

The fact that you can't add fractions is your own fault. How hard is it to find a common denominator?

1/2 + 1/3 -> 3/6 + 2/6 = 5/6

That was easy.

College is for specialized learning that builds on the basics so you can hopefully get a job in your field of study.

Well, I used to do fine with adding fractions, but then I forgot how to find the common denominator, because all the useless information I will never use in life pushed it out. I've only needed to add fractions with different denominators once in school after I forgot. Also if already in elementary school I was learning useless stuff, high school is certainly not the basics. Already in elementary school I was learning stuff my mom couldn't help me with because she forgot it (because it was extremely useless in life). And it's not my fault I FORGOT how to add fractions with different denominators, I don't and I CAN'T control what I forget.

We need a revamp of the education system.

I'm sorry but most of us are not going to be doing algebra or calculus.

Math classes could probably end with a class of geometry and algebra and most of us would be fine.

English classes need to get more variety, and they need to be a little more engaging. I'm sorry but Their Eyes Were Watching God is garbage.

History classes in high school need a revamp. Every American history class I've taken in middle school and high school is the same ****. We spend way too much time on the American Revolution, far too much time on the Civil War, gloss over World War 1, a ****ton of time on World War 2, maybe two weeks on Civil Rights, and maybe two weeks on Korean War and the Vietnam War. High School should not be spending time on the American Revolution, Civil War, and World War 1. Just give a quick refresher to remind everyone of the facts, and the spend more time on the more contemporary stuff. There are people alive today that lived during the Civil Rights era. That's important, not a war that happened 250 years ago ffs

American education needs a serious revamp. Don't even get me started on how much it sucks for you students

Math classes could probably end with a class of geometry and algebra and most of us would be fine.

English classes need to get more variety, and they need to be a little more engaging. I'm sorry but Their Eyes Were Watching God is garbage.

History classes in high school need a revamp. Every American history class I've taken in middle school and high school is the same ****. We spend way too much time on the American Revolution, far too much time on the Civil War, gloss over World War 1, a ****ton of time on World War 2, maybe two weeks on Civil Rights, and maybe two weeks on Korean War and the Vietnam War. High School should not be spending time on the American Revolution, Civil War, and World War 1. Just give a quick refresher to remind everyone of the facts, and the spend more time on the more contemporary stuff. There are people alive today that lived during the Civil Rights era. That's important, not a war that happened 250 years ago ffs

All so true.

American education needs a serious revamp. Don't even get me started on how much it sucks for you students

It's torture for students (like me), and what makes it worse is that it's all a bunch of useless information. Useless information= Useless torture.

Last edited:
Well, I used to do fine with adding fractions, but then I forgot how to find the common denominator, because all the useless information I will never use in life pushed it out. I've only needed to add fractions with different denominators once in school after I forgot. Also if already in elementary school I was learning useless stuff, high school is certainly not the basics. Already in elementary school I was learning stuff my mom couldn't help me with because she forgot it (because it was extremely useless in life). And it's not my fault I FORGOT how to add fractions with different denominators, I don't and I CAN'T control what I forget.

That's weird, the last time I specifically remember adding fractions with different denominators was around fifth grade, and I remembered how to do it instantaneously. And honestly, it is no one's fault but your own. If you know you're not good at something, is it really that hard to study it a little harder so you don't forget?

- - - Post Merge - - -

American history classes, as the name suggests, is on the course of American history from Plymouth Rock to right now essentially. If you think a war that took place 250 years ago (I assume you're talking about the revolution) isn't important, you're sorely mistaken. Our lives as we know it wouldn't exist. The wars we study are basically chapters in our history, and the peace in between are the pages. If you want to learn specifically about post-WWII America, why don't you sign up for a contemporary history or current events class? Or maybe encourage people to study subjects that interest them on their own?

American history classes, as the name suggests, is on the course of American history from Plymouth Rock to right now essentially. If you think a war that took place 250 years ago (I assume you're talking about the revolution) isn't important, you're sorely mistaken. Our lives as we know it wouldn't exist. The wars we study are basically chapters in our history, and the peace in between are the pages. If you want to learn specifically about post-WWII America, why don't you sign up for a contemporary history or current events class? Or maybe encourage people to study subjects that interest them on their own?

We should not have to relearn the American Revolution constantly throughout our school career.

Contemporary history is far more relevant to today than the Revolution.

Back