• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

what do you do when you can't sleep?

candxur

vegan trash
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Switch
8399-8164-2698
Island
Redwoods
I usually go through phases of being able to sleep very easily, not being able to get to sleep, and not being able to stay asleep
Normally when I can't get to sleep I end up just lying there tossing and turning until I eventually fall asleep, but it's extremely frustrating. Sometimes I'm so tired that I can't keep my eyes open, and i don't have the energy to do anything but I somehow can't sleep, other times I'm just wide awake.

What do you do when you can't get to sleep? Do you find something to do until you're tired enough to sleep? Do you do something that will help you fall asleep?

I usually just go on the computer and do my usual computer things, until I'm tired enough to sleep.

Think. Trust me. I went years not knowing how to deal with not being able to sleep, then eventually I decided to do the exact opposite of what you'd think you'd have to do, and think. Think about anything. Dumb things. Boys, games, something that might be interesting to think about.

You'll be out like a light. I actually have tried and can't not fall asleep soon enough to get any thinking done.

I don't really have problems falling asleep, but I never go to bed without something to do, because I'm not the type of person to get tired at a particular time. I know everyone always says you're not supposed to use any sort of screen before bed, but I usually watch let's plays (by specific youtubers who I know are... it's hard to describe, I guess I would say calm enough that they won't keep me awake. I also prefer youtubers who don't really get into controversial topics. Even if I agree with them, I find it mildly stressful to listen to) or I'll play a peaceful game like Animal Crossing/Harvest Moon/Style Savvy until I'm too tired to play anymore. A few years ago I had an issue where I had nausea daily and it would wake me up in the middle of the night, every. single. night. On those nights I'd always play Animal Crossing, because it was peaceful enough to fall back to sleep, while distracting enough that I could wait for the nausea to pass without letting myself get worked up over it.

I also spent about a year listening to comedians every night. Only trouble with that was falling asleep while it was still on and losing my place. :p

i don't really have trouble sleeping anymore, but i bring a book with me to bed to read to help me relax. i get pretty bad nightmares, so having a book there lets me kind of focus on something other than the nightmares if i wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

I do one d three things.

1• Incessantly readjust my sleeping position till I finally fall asleep.

2• Get up and play my 3ds.

3• Realize what I'm wearing and take of my all night mask.

I deal with insomnia so any sleep is heavenly. If it's really bad I have prescribed sleeping pills, for the short term.

Until then, I usually just toss and turn and get frustrated. Every 5 minutes I'll adjust my position, kick blankets off, pull them back on

I usually don't go to sleep until I'm so tired I'm out like a light (wow lee great sleep habits!). Sometimes I'll try to force myself to go to bed at a decent time (and by decent I mean 10-11) but that never works out and I usually stay up anywhere from 11:30-1:30 on weeknights and 1-4:30 on weekends. I just try to think of nothing, but that never works so I end up thinking of everything while tossing and turning.

Scroll on my phone, watch some cartoon I've seen a million times so I don't have to pay attention to it, toss around, cover myself, uncover myself, repeat.

Play Animal Crossing or watch Adventure Time/ another cartoon. Maybe drink some hot tea.

I think, imagine, daydream, which is also what I do when I'm in school. In school I think about being homeschooled, or even better, unschooled, and how much happier I'd be if I wasn't in basically a prison.

I watch something on my phone or read some heavy factual articles cuz theycan be interesting but also boring with repetitive statistics or dates lol
Or put one of those random "relaxing music to falla sleep to" things on youtube xD
Sometimes i like to eat a snack too... though eating before bed isnt good for your digestion >.>I shouldnt do that LOL oh whale.

I get restless leg syndrome once in a while also making it near impossible to sleep and tossing and turning is the only way to soothe it... though i found a heating pad can also work wonders, just lay it wherever your feeling discomfort such as stomach or legs or neck and it relaxes the muscle. Maybe a Heated blanket would be nice too though they can be expensive, i just like to cozy up under lots of blankets even in the summer cuz it feels so nice and safe, I rarely have trouble sleeping now except for occasional legs thing. >.<

Also If you use your phone often, put it on night mode (reduces blue light) the first hour or two before you want to sleep, blue light has a short wavelength and it can be more stressful to take in and will keep you up/alert. I mever understood why there was a night mode before I learned that and now it is like my best frie d lol

Last edited:
Watch Animal Crossing town tour videos, they're also really inspiring

I used to lie awake for hours, but in the last few years I've been fairly consistently been able to fall asleep in less than ten minutes.
If I can't, I decide whether I'm comfortable resting and drifting through thoughts in the dark; if I am I do that for however long it lasts, and if not I turn the lights back on and read or watch something until I feel more tired

Stay awake.

Damnit, you stole my response o.?

I go on my phone most of the time whenever I can't sleep. I watch some relaxing videos or funny ones for some reason. Sometimes I just lay on my bed and stare at the wall until I get tired.

draw, play a game, anything to get my mind off of trying to sleep
whenever i go to bed my mind always thinks of all the embarrassing and cringey stuff i've done in the past and it makes me want to die so i have to do something to get my mind off of it
also i always have a feeling someone is going to stab me in the back (literally) like you know when you can just feel something is getting closer and closer to you? yeah so i have to readjust my sleeping position a lot to help me get to sleep

Back