What would you do if...?

The_Storyteller

Bells
Eggs
Old Eggs
Hi all!

So I just bought a pre-owned DS off eBay and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday. Woo, for new stuff! Anyway, when I opened the box, there was the DS in all of its original packaging, and an unexpected surprise - another copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf. This will be my fifth copy of the game now (my friends insist I need an intervention, but since the last two copies landed in my lap unexpectedly, I've insisted that I definitely DO NOT need an intervention.)

Anyways! So I checked out the game card (expecting it to be blank) but to my surprise, there was still a file on there,
and it actually wasn't too bad! The town layout is actually really good, so either its former owner was really fussy,
or they were just really (really!) lucky. Also, the native fruit is peaches, which is different to the native fruit in my main town. The placement of the permanent PWPs and buildings is pretty good. It's a bit of a mess, but with some TLC and a bit of planning, this town has the potential to be awesome!

I don't love the town name and mayor name, (Ailsa of Treedom) but I also don't hate it. It's kind of cute. Most of the villagers are pretty lame which is good because they're plotted in weird spots.

So, here's my question. If another copy of ACNL landed mysteriously in your possession and there was already a save file on it, what would you do? Would you reset it? Would you keep it? Would you just resell it? I know a lot of your control-freak alter egos would probably kick in and go "the grass pattern is wrong!" or "ReTail is in a bad spot!"
or "the Mayor's face is ugly!" or whatever, but what would you do? I'm just interested.

I would reset it. I like things to be my own way, with my own touch on things and it would bother me to have something not of my own creation. With that said though, I would probably take anything I liked first and foremost and then reset lol

Also calling people control freaks over liking something a certain way is a little bit of a reach. It doesn't affect you in any way whatsoever how people play their games. :p

Last edited:
I bought a used game hoping that there would be a file already on it because I wanted to see and maybe finish what the other person started, but it had been deleted before being sold. So yeah, I'd totally have a look around and see if it's something I could spruce up.

if i were you, i'd try playing in the town for a while. i think it's a really nice new take on the game- instead of building a game from scratch, this version of acnl features fixing-up an endearingly wonky town! personally, i'd do some work on it and give it some love and attention. if i got bored of it later or wanted to make my own town, then i would probably scout around for anything from the town i could keep (hybrids, unorderables, bells), transfer them to a different town for safekeeping, and reset.

it's all up to you, so do what you like, but i think that's super exciting- a peek into the creative mind of an acnl stranger :)

NAIG52h.jpg
I bought a used copy a couple of years ago at Gamestop just to use for a cycling town.There was a save file still on the cartridge;a town called Halow'en with a mayor named Synnh(I'm still not sure how to pronounce this name).It looked like the previous owner had started a Halloween themed town but got bored and sold their game.There were some good villagers in the town including Diana,Molly,Lopez and Gala(who now lives in my piggy town,Bam).I adopted out all of the villagers and was done with my cycling after a year or so but instead of erasing the town I thought I'd try to finish what the original owner had started.I found some Halloween themed QR codes and brought in some villagers that went with the theme.It's probably not what the original owner had in my mind but I think it turned out alright.

I think it's really cool that you guys are all so happy to just run away with something someone else has started. It's just so adorable and weird and so totally Animal Crossing. Obviously if I intended a preowned copy as a main town I'd restart but as a side town I think it's really whacky and cool to try and go along with what the original owner wanted while also putting my own spin on it. Really looking forward to working with this town!

has the original owner player it enough for the town to be sellable? I'd play it up until that point, just for fun, then I'd sell it. As much as I like the idea of taking over an abandoned town, in the long run I think I'd be too picky about the name not being *mine* (and the fact that the name sounds way too punny for my liking). But if you're ok with it, a lot of the work is already done for you so you should at least give it a try :>

I think I would, it's pretty cute/lucky that you got a secondhand game with the console as a bonus. Having another town from another person would be fun, I kind of want to see what the person made with the town and run with it, also because I like to see other people's houses and what furniture did they use and the layout of the house, placement, in short, I would like to imagine what they were thinking with the whole town

Are you sure the seller intended for it to also be shipped? I'd ask if the seller would like it back, and if they don't I'd play with it until I could sell it to Nook, transfer the money to my main town and then restart and use it for a cycling town! (If I had another 3ds that is)

When i got my copy for gamecube with the ac memory card it had a file and i actually kept it because the other 3 houses were empty :) and their catalog was completely filled as well as bells lol.

If it was me I'd be a scavenger and transfer anything good over to my main town :p bells, items etc
Then start a new town the way I would want it

i would reset it unless it gave me lots of ideas on how to make it better. im notinterested in having a town i think is boring hhhh

Truly depends actually, if I really like the past owners town layout, local fruit and everything then why not, saves you a good amount of time in resetting for a perfect map and such...
but if it's on the mediocore side, good but nothing special, then I'll definitely consider resetting the game...
Do you, whatever you decide should be totally up to you ~

I bought my little sister a used copy of ACNL from Ebay to replace the one she lost and it still had a save town too. The town was pretty cute so I'm assuming the previous owner spent a good amount of time working on it. My sister played in the town for a little while until she eventually decided to reset because she hated the town/ mayor name. She just ended up transferring some bells, furniture, and hybrids to me while she reset. I'm kind of curious as to why people don't bother deleting their towns when they sell their cartridge?

I'd probably just reset the game. I only have one copy now, so I'd like to have a little more say in what I do with a second town.

I would check out the town and see if I liked it first and then decide. Whether I liked it or not I would see if there was anything I wanted to send to my main town(furniture,dlc, clothes,etc). If I chose to reset I would send all bells the characters had to my main town as well. But I think it would be cool to get an already started town and make it my own. Makes me want to buy a preowned copy of the game myself.

Since it's your fifth town I definitely think it could be fun for you to try something different and continue what another person had in mind :)

It could give you new ideas that you haven't thought about, and add to the fun. Or you could least keep it a couple of days, and if you don't like it :)

I would probably play it for a while but then get bored and want a fresh start.
But I'd probably take anything good out of it first: items, flowers etc.

Back