• Happy Earth Week! TBT is hosting a series of nature-based mini-events through April 28th. Breed flower hybrids by organizing your collectible lineup, enter our nature photography contest, purchase historically dated scenery collectibles, and earn bells around the site! Read more in the Earth Week and photography contest threads.

What makes a dreamie?

salvagedstardust

wants to be a mermaid
Bells
Hello!

I was curious what, exactly, makes a villager a dream villager for you?

Is it their appearance/aesthetic, or their house?s interior or exterior appearance/aesthetic? Their personality? Did you love them in a previous AC game/town, and that carried over to New Leaf/current town? Did you not have them in a previous game/town, and really would like to get to know them?

Does the villager popularity list have anything to do with your feelings toward a certain villager? Do you immediately check what tier someone is when they plot their house? Do you wish the popularity list didn?t impact your thoughts, but it does? Would you want a popular villager to see what all the hype is about?

Has a random villager ever moved in and made you love them? Have you ever had a dreamie move in and they didn?t live up to expectations?

I know that?s a lot of questions, don?t feel obligated to answer them all, I?m just curious about your thoughts overall :)

their looks and personality type. i love snake to bits but he's a jock so he's not a dreamy to me
i usually love villagers that are tier 4-6 however

I will tell the story of 8 year old me and how Freckles became #1:
My sister had reccommended a game called Animal Crossing, and it seemed pretty cool from what I saw. I got myself a copy of Animal Crossing Wild World a few months later and just made a town completely blind. I named it Yomoro for literally no reason other than it sounded cool. I remember a random move-in next to my house by the name of Freckles. When I saw who Freckles was, I was in love. Now time travel(not really. I didn't even know you could do that until like 5 months ago...sad I know) to the 3rd year of Yomoro. Just walking along the red carpet leading to my house and Freckles is surprised to see me. I've gotten Freckles' pic. I didn't know how valuable these were but I tossed it into my house to make things look nice and kept it there. The unfortunate thing is that she moved when school started up. And moved when I got busy with school again in my first acnl town.
I love Freckles, and to prove how much, if somebody offered me 1k tbt(hypothetically) for Freckles, I'd yell:
OH HEEL NO!!
I know you didn't ask for a story, but I felt it was a nice way to explain why Freckles is #1 for me <3

I only care about the looks, and a little about personality. Half my dreamies are crankies so I'm just going to have to deal with it (smh)

Most of mine are ones I have had before in Wild World that struck a particular cord with me (and a couple that I met early on in New Leaf and had the same happen with.) Boone is my all time favourite, I remember him living between a pair of cedar trees in the northeast corner, baboom. Rocco lived in a nice plot by the beach and was lovably rude and cruel with his barbs. Great guy. Jeremiah with his goofy smile. Rosie is obvious to most, she's basically the quintessential Animal Crossing villager and pretty dman cute. The others are ones I have met elsewhere and really enjoyed their look and personality match. I do not care at all about how their houses look inside, they can do what they want with them. Why anyone cares about the subjective ier list is beyond me.

snake - moved in randomly in wild world and loved him ever since
stitches - i mean come on hes adorable
lucky - like stitches hes quite cute imo
nan - not really sure why just liked her
ribbot - he looks quite cool to be honest
agent s - not really sure what clicked for me i think it was the mask
bones - i like dogs and bones fitted in well
peanut - she was a starter at my first ever new leaf town so i decided to keep her (until she decided to leave without telling me -twice then again the 2nd time was due to me not playing in so long)
cousteau - like peanut he was a starter
samson - one of the most underrated characters imo i just fell in love him from wild world
so thats why i love my 10 dreamies although I have had a soft spot for erik since he came to my current town

Last edited:
For looks mainly. What villager fits into my town "aesthetic" is how I choose them or if they were favorite from a previous town I had.

For me it's mainly the looks, anything that fits my aesthetic.
personality plays into it a little bit, I favor the smugs and lazys over the other types. I have like 3 lazys and 4 smugs in my town lol but that's coincidental because they're all my dreamies bc of their looks

first, i try to vary personality types so i don't have a town full of lazies. don't get me wrong, i love lazies, but i don't want to hear the same dialog ten times a day :') after i decide which personality types i want (in mistvale, it's one of each, but no uchis, two lazies, two peppies, and two normals), i then pick my villagers based on how cute they are hehe
i don't usually pick the toooo cutesy villagers though- i like villagers that have their own charms, like teddy with his eyebrows and dizzy with his derpy eyes

My dreamies rae based on looks, and I HATE that I have some on the upper teirs. I wish they didn't exist, becaus I feel it's to cliche or that I am unoriginal for liking and wanting some of those villagers.... But I mean, you know, whatever....

When I first look at what villager I want in my town, I sorta, look at the personality first, may sound unfair, but I want every type of personality living in my town, mainly because I want to give all personalities a chance and having them all, makes it fun for them to chat to each other and notice the differences.
I might looks at who I had before, for example Skye and Lyman, who I have both loved oh and Flo, when they were in my town, but Lyman and Skype unexpectually left and I want them back. Because I grown to love them, and I didn't have enough time with Skye. And since I don't know many villagers, I want to try a few of them out,
I usually imagined how they would be like in the future in my town, thats what gets me to want a dreamie. Its like a little story in my head XD
Phoebe appeared in my town and now I don't know if I wanna let her go, same with carmen and tammi. Carmen has lived here for ages and I don't know how I would feel if she left, shes proberly one of the only people who haven't really asked to leave either.

Dreamies could be either purely aesthetic or sentimental...

Aesthetic in a way that you just like them based on their apperances, like for example you like deers and cutesy villagers so you'll end up with villagers like Beau, Fauna, Diana and the like...

Sentimental in a way that you had them on your previous towns or ac games, this are villagers not necessarily your type of villagers aesthetically but had a certain connection to them that made you like them...

Dreamies are from your personal tastes/preferences or experiences from the game that resulted to you wanting those villagers...

Last edited:
I love love love Bluebear, Julian, Beau, and Whitney (along with most of the other wolves, to my surprise)
all from experiences having them in my town before I even knew "dreamies" and the villager tiers were a thing.
Bluebear actually stole my heart in WW, thinking about it...

Anyways, I was both surprised and kinda bummed to know they're all higher tiers than I expected when i did figure it all out.
Makes them harder to get in the long run, especially if I have poor luck moving them in on my own and end up relying on cycling peeps to get them in.

I try to plot out a way to have both dreamies and all the personalities for the sake of getting my PWP's rn though.
In the end it'll be about having appearance compatible villagers with the handfull i really do care about, whether their all popular or not doesn't affect me much.

I guess how much i'm fond of them makes a dreamie for me? Usually I select villagers that i've had in past games and have the most nostalgia/memories of as my dreamies. Looks comes into it a bit for me, but not a lot. Sometimes i'll choose villagers based on whether they fit my theme or not. Or whether it'd be nice to try them out, since i've never really tried them before. Which is kind of what my most recently dreamie list is based on.

Design, personality and also, I should probably like the type of animal/species first before anything else

I like how they look, but all the ones I really like are lazy or snooty. I really like them because of how they look TBH.

I like villagers because of their looks and personality, I don't really care what their house looks like if they're cool!

Back