• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

Diving is the most infuriating feature in this game!

HappyTails

On Indefinite Hiatus
Orange 🍊
Coconut 🥥
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Okay, so your character is slow already both underwater and above it, whether you are spamming the A button or not, the creature either disappear before you get to them or go under the barrier where you can't get to them, then they add jellyfish on top of this already annoying activity to make it even more annoying when they sting you.

Was this diving feature supposed to be something they thought we'd find fun? Because to me, it's annoying as heck!

Sorry, I had to rant. 3 shadows disappeared right when I got to them when I was diving and I felt like I needed to vent. I really don't like this diving feature. I really don't. If it's wasn't a requirement for completing the museum, i would NOT be doing it.

Last edited:
I agree with you ahhhh definitely the most frustrating and tiring activity on the game > A<

I actually like diving. I have good luck with catching the creatures. But when they are sneaky, it just makes it oh-so satisfying when I catch them ^w^

The diving mechanism is trash lmao. I don't understand why our characters are so slow when half the underwater fish ect. are super fast like they literally just dart away when I try catching them. I really hope they fix it for the next game because it's one of the most annoying activity in the game.

Its supposed to be challenging, not annoying. Half the reason why the seafood encyclopedia is literally half of the others is because its hard. Also, you can find half of your encyclopedia in a day if your patient enough, besides those sneaky crabs.

The worst is when you finally see a big, fast moving shadow but it's right on the line and ends up swimming out of bounds :/

Not fond of diving and tapping or pressing A. It's too slow for me no matter what.

I'm not too fond of diving either since mashing the A button really does tire me and hurt my thumb but the sea creature encyclopedia was actually the first one I completed out of fishing and bugs. I really hate when you see a big shadow and it swims out of bounds :/ that is the worst tease and it annoys me so much

I wouldn't mind it so much if it wasn't for the jellyfish. I hate when you're about to dive but then get stung while whatever you were after escapes.

ugh diving is awful >< like the others said, when the creature goes out of bounds is the worst! way too many times have I been right on top of something diving down/about to dive only for it to suddenly dart past that stupid rope. and yeah the jellyfish are so unnecessary, it's not even a thing you can catch!

It's a shame because I remember being so hyped about the fact we could now swim in this game, I do agree that the diving mechanic does need improving upon, and this is the first game it's been introduced so there's plenty of time to improve it c: as "annoying" as diving is, it is the easiest encyclopaedia to complete. I hardly dive anymore since I've completed my diving encyclopaedia twice in previous towns, now I'm just too lazy. :p

I'm not fond of diving either, luckily I finished collecting all that for my mayor, its just really long and I never play it on the Island. Crabs are evil, same with lobsters. I usualy try and swim above watcher as I'm going at them and then go under but they alwys change where they go >.<

Diving doesn't bother me too much, appart from the fact that you can't check how full your inventory is whilst swimming. Why ever not?

Diving doesn't bother me too much, appart from the fact that you can't check how full your inventory is whilst swimming. Why ever not?

Well, I don't think anybody would want their pockets full of water haha
It is quite annoying though.

I avoid diving because I'm so bad at it and I get annoyed at the jelly fish lol. I don't think I even own a wetsuit in my main town. I think the only things I've been able to catch successfully are those sea grapes :'D

I don't really use the dive feature all too much. The only time I really use it is when I was doing the villager ping trick, and i'm already done with that so I hardly go into the ocean as it is. I agree though, the mobility of your character when diving is ridiculous and I can see how it'd be an annoyance for those trying to get the badge for it. I was pretty good at avoiding the jellyfish though, so I can't say I had too much trouble on that front. Except for when I was doing the ping trick (which i'd get stung on purpose of course.) I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon though, so best of luck to you. :)

I like diving in general, but I must admit that it's very annoying that the creatures swim past the line or just disappear.
I remember when I first got New Leaf I'd dive allllll the time, had my encyclopedia full in no time and got all the badges. I don't dive nearly that much anymore now.

Yep, it's very annoying, good thing I only have only 1 creature left to get, the spiny lobster. Hopefully I'll get it today ><

Ugh yeah i hate diving as well. Yet i have a silver badge for diving... weird huh?

Back