• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do you buy physical or digital games?

Physical unless there is literally no other way to get the game (or the physical is expensive as all get out). If the system goes bust or gets lost, you're only out of the system itself and 1 game, not the entire catalog and your account (idk if Nintendo has a way to freeze your account like the bank if your information/card gets stolen and transfer things over to a new system - since it's tied to the system itself tho... T_T). It's easy to replace a single game and console. Not so true when everything is tied to an account that can be shut down, hacked, or otherwise be rendered non-functional by a separate entity.

My boyfriend and I both like to own the physical copies, only buying digital when there doesn't seem like any other logical choice. (Like the game is digital only, or we can't find anyone selling a physical copy nearby.) Even though, we still plan on tracking down a physical for those we can't find someday. We love to brag our collection of consoles and games. c:

Last edited:
a mixture of both. because i'm confined to my home, i tend to buy digital copies. i do make a couple exceptions, mostly when it comes up to sales and all that jazz.

physical for console digital for pc. i don't even have a cd reader on my current computer and having a bunch of cds all over is a Pain, besides i use steam for most of my pc games.
consoles often have more limited memory space and it's usually just way easier to have a physical copy instead of waiting fifty years for a game to download from their sucky shop. and you can still use your computer when you're downloading pc games, consoles go all "uhh download will b finished in 800 hours :')" and you can't use them while theyre downloading

I prefer having physical games, but since I play mostly PC games it's typical that digital is the way to go.

Physical. Mostly to retain trade in value and so I can lend them to friends etc. If digital was cheaper it may be different but since they are the same price I don't see much point.

My exceptions are New Leaf because I knew it would be a game I played often and daily I didn't always want to have to switch out cartridges and Mario Kart 7 as it came with my console as a digital game.

I like to buy physical copies. however some of the sales on psn are too good to pass up. also after having a ps+ membership for several years, I have a lot of digital games for my ps3/ps4/psvita now.

I also like to 'collect' virtual console games on my 3ds.

I mostly get digital games, though that doesn't mean I don't have physical copies from gifts and such. Since there's not many organized stores near where I live that sells games, and the stores that do always seem to be out of stock on more popular games, I prefer to get them digitally since all I have to do is purchase the game and download it. I'm also very disorganized, so having the game downloaded on the console instead of having a physical copy I can lose.
I'll make exceptions if I see a game I'm not too sure about, or if there's a sale on a game I would really love to buy. There's this local video game story about 20-30 miles away from me that, although they have an issue with keeping games in stock, are great with used prices and giving money back. Like, depending on the physical quality of the game I return, I've gotten 50-75% of my money back, and even more so if I get in-store credit instead of cash.

Last edited:
Physical (if possible) for 2 reasons:
I like displaying games (especially special editions)
I can trade the game in if it was not what I was expecting

IMG_20171223_210202.jpg

I will get digital games if they're on sale or hard to find physical though ;u;

most of the time i buy the digital version as i find it better for me since there will be no chance i could misplace the games since i have a bad habit of misplacing everything i use. im not really a collect & display type of person too. i know some people like buying physical games and display the boxes but nah, not my thing.

I buy both for various reasons, collecting, nostalgia but I have over 400 digital games too so it goes to show both media's can still exist.

i get a mix of both depending on what's cheaper lol
i do prefer digital games mainly for the fact i'm super lazy and can't be bothered to get up and change the game cards 😂

i only ever buy physical copies. :’)

I mostly buy secondhand physical copies and only ever buy digital ones if I'm 100% sure that they're not physical at all, such as Yume Nikki and Among Us.

I always buy physical copies of games whenever possible. I prefer it for a few of reasons, mainly for collection purposes (it's nice seeing all the games you own displayed in shelves), for saving space on my console's hard drive (which is why it pains me that systems like the PS4 force you to install the game onto the hard drive in order to play it) and to truly own a game, since in theory a digital game could be taken away from you and that would be that. The only time I'll buy digital is when a physical copy of the game doesn't exist.

I used to always buy physical copies, a lot the games I played when I was very young didn't have digital copies so the only way to play the game was to purchase the actual cartridge or disc. Also as some others have mentioned it's nice collecting the physical copies for display purposes or for nostalgia to look back on later. These days though I do have more of a mixture between physical and digital copies; one because I sometimes play the Sims 4 and as my MacBook is usually the closest computer to hand its easier for me to have a digital copy so I don't have to go the hassle of getting any add-ons to be able to insert a disc and secondly I've found that its easier to have digital copies for my switch, I already have an SD card for more storage space and its means I don't have to constantly change the games around or carry them around with me if I'm away from home with my switch - I do have some physical copes for it but mostly I only keep Pokemon Shield in as the cartridge and play most of my other games digitally.

Physical whenever possible unless physical doesn't exist or is much more expensive/hard to get. I like putting things on shelves and I don't like paying extra for storage. Especially when developers cheap out on carts and expect me to download 2/3 of the game, or just put a download code in a box and call it physical. I flat out refuse to buy those games at all.

I tend to prefer physical games but since I mostly game on PC most of mine are digital. I wanted a physical copy of ACNH but to guarantee getting it on launch I bought digital. I think it’s just because I like to be able to move it from system to system if needed and I grew-up with physical copies.

I prefer buying physical games! I like having a collection and seeing all the pretty box art and such. Whenever I can I try to buy physical over digital but that’s been trickier with the pandemic and such.

I own New Horizons digitally because the day it was released was the first day of lockdown in my province! I wish I had the physical copy but it is nice being able to play it easily while having something else in my switch.

Even though I prefer digital I don’t end up buying like, Limited Release Editions of smaller/indie games. I’d love to have physical copies of everything but ordering things into Canada can be a hassle sometimes so if I can’t physically buy the game in person I tend to opt for just getting it digitally.

Back