• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do you buy physical or digital games?

Physical all the way! I've had a bad history with some devices corrupting, and I enjoy getting cool special edition packs of physical games. But if it's digital exclusive then I'll get it, albeit begrudgingly.

I prefer physical copies. I'll only get a digital copy of a game if it's the only option.

I tend to always buy physical, but it depends on the product. I really wanted Sonic Mania as a physical copy, but there is none so I settled with digital.

Physical.
I have a friend who tried to system transfer from 2DS to New 3DS XL and something got messed up, resulting in the loss of all his digital game save data. (still had the games downloaded but lost the save files.)

Physical when possible.

Physical Pros:Physical Cons:
No storage space needed.Requires faffing about with cards/discs.
You can actually visualise your "collection".Delivery times (or going to a shop).
Usually works out cheaper.Could get scratched if it's a disc and you're a complete moron.
Easy to sell second-hand or lend to someone.
It's not going to magically disappear if some company decides it should.

More digital than physical even tho right now I'm really leaning towards digital animal crossing new leaf for my 2ds xl since I have a 32gig in it. Just not sure yet I don't want to use my cartridge from my 3ds on my 2ds. I want 2 towns :)

Depends. For console/handheld? Physical typically. Occasionally digitally.
For PC, digital...steam.

Generally digital for most PC games, unless they come with limited edition items or are the same price at retail as digital - most PC games are redeemable on Steam anyway, and you don't get anything more than a Steam key and maybe an install disk (which then needs Steam to run). I've had some really good physical bargains though at retail, in local GAME shops, and on Amazon. Limited edition Gal Civ 3 for ?10 off Amazon, which came with a soundtrack disk and bonus content ingame, Sins of a Solar Empire:Rebellion (release edition or something) from GAME for ?4.99 which came with a bonus ship pack and a soundtrack CD again, and then just a few days ago, Torment:Tides of Numenara for ?7.99 from GAME which came with a soundtrack CD, physical map, and content ingame. And also around a year ago, Overwatch:Origins Edition - it was around the same price as if I bought it digitally, but thought I may as well help local business since I felt like buying it on the spot.

3DS games I will virtually always buy as physical copies - because 1) they will retain some(and in some cases increase) of their value in the future, so if I ever decide I'm tired of them, or if of course Nintendo ever decided to shut down access to downloading titles I will be able to sell them for a tidy sum, and 2) I can't really be bothered downloading things to the 3DS, or upgrading the SD storage.

Unless a game is digital only I always buy physical copies.

I prefer digital, especially since I'm pretty bad at being responsible. So if I lose a hard copy, chances are it's going to be gone for a while. Digital's just a lot safer of an option for me personally, but having the hard copies would be nice if your device ever malfunctioned or lost the data for your game

physical because I'm overly materialistic and like to display things on my shelf :rolleyes:

This is a really interesting question. For me, it really depends on which platform the game is for. I have hundreds of games on PC (thanks to Steam sales...) and every single one is digital. I really really don't like clutter, so I like not having to store them anywhere. For my 3DS though, I always go with physical copies. I'm worried about running out of room or something. I don't even own many games for it, just a small handful, so they don't take up too much space.

Usually I buy physical, unless the digital version is just a lot cheaper or something

Well, it depends. All of my Nintendo games are digital, mainly because you get more gold points on your nintendo account if you buy them digitally lol. But all of my Xbox games are physical

Both. For consoles I buy physical, but for my PC, I obviously buy them digitally.

I ALWAYS stick to physical, with only one exception. If it isn't available in a physical version, for example, Snake Pass? Then I would buy digital. Otherwise, I stick with physical for these reasons;

- I can sell the game once I complete it or get bored of it
- It feels nice seeing my little game collection
- I can let others borrow a game

And yes, I will pay extra to get physical instead of digital, as long as it's not TOO much more.

Physical only - unless there’s no physical version AND it’s a game I absolutely can not live without (like Hatoful Boyfriend, lol). I like seeing my games displayed on a shelf and not having to worry about losing them all in case my account gets terminated or whatever (not that that has ever happened to me. I’ve just read a few times that violating Steam’s ToS in any way does cost you all of your games. I assume the same applies to the Nintendo eShop, PSN and Xbox Gold?)

Last edited:
Back