• The closing ceremony for TBT's Farewell to New Leaf event has been posted! View the winning entries and other closing announcements here. Thanks for joining in on the fun and nostalgia. We'll see you this Friday night for the start of our annual Easter Egg Hunt!

do you buy physical or digital games?

HungryForCereal

if it was you I'd never want to leave...
Bells
MEOW Coupons
StreetPass Silver
Pink Summer Shell
Mint
Pavé
most of the time i buy the digital version as i find it better for me since there will be no chance i could misplace the games since i have a bad habit of misplacing everything i use. im not really a collect & display type of person too. i know some people like buying physical games and display the boxes but nah, not my thing.

Last edited:
I decide to go either physical or digital on a per game basis. Depends on how well the game answers to the two following questions.

• Is the file size of the actual game is less than 5% of the maximum capacity of my current storage medium?
  • Does the game suit for impromptu short-burst gaming sessions throughout the entire console lifespan, even after completing the game?

If I answer "yes" to both of them, then I will definitely go digital for that title. Otherwise, I might consider getting physical over the downloadable version.

I do a mix of both depending on if I can get to the store or not. I am running out of space though so I need to do only physical from now on besides Pok?mon Silver

There aren't many physical copies available here anymore so if I'm buying, I just buy digital

I buy physical copies because there is an accomplished feeling about buying a game and holding it in hand. Of course if it was like an old game such as Chrono Trigger I would buy the digital copy.

Although for music it's completely reversed; I buy the digital copy rather than the physical. I kinda feel like that's pretty much everyone else too.

Physical. Only time I buy digital is when the game doesn't have a hard copy or I want another of the same game so I won't need to change cartridges every now and then, usually online games like Mario Kart or Splatoon.

This is also the reason why Sonic Mania CE, despite of the awesome goodies/collectibles included, doesn't interest me.

digital for laptop/pc gaming, physical for 3ds/other consoles i might have mostly unless there is some VC shop game i want

I buy retail copies for pretty much anything (games, movies, music, etc.) because

1. They're easier to keep track of
2. You dont have to worry about losing them if your device breaks
3. They're a lot easier to organize.
4. They don't take up any storage beyond what is saved on the device.

This is why I have so many records and VHS tapes :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Physical, and rarely digital. I don't want to beat Etrian Odyssey Untold TMG and end up somehow breaking my 3ds. >: (

I buy retail copies for pretty much anything (games, movies, music, etc.) because

1. They're easier to keep track of
2. You dont have to worry about losing them if your device breaks
3. They're a lot easier to organize.
4. They don't take up any storage beyond what is saved on the device.

This is why I have so many records and VHS tapes :rolleyes:
Aheeem don't you also mean 64 cartridges too?
But if I can then physical it makes it so much more special!

lately ive been getting digital because i been just getting games on whim and no time to go to a store

I usually buy physical just because I like the packaging and kinda keeping the boxes in a library kinda shelf. But now that you mention misplacing thing, maybe I should switch to digital. I misplaced my Pokemon X copy somewhere and it has haunted me ever since... :(:(

Depends.

For console exclusives, I'll go physical...Unless it's digital only I guess, but I can't think of any examples of that. That way if I don't like it, I can at least get rid of it.

For multiplatform/PC only titles I'll go digital...Unless I REALLY like the game and a physical version does exist (usually on console), where I'll probably end up getting one of each (one for collection sake, one for convenience).

I'll most likely buy one first and get the other on sale though, I'm not buying 2 copies of the same game at full price.

With physical storage space being an issue, it both helps to keep that down and have my physical collection consist of only what I consider to be quality games.

I have a digital copy of ACNL, and I'm mixed on games for my kids. I worry about how much space there is for games, and also I wonder if, say, we end up with two Switches for all of us to share, if a kid could take a cartridge and switch from switch to switch (LOL) without any trouble. If that's the case, then I'll need to buy physical copies of the games.

On the other hand, my younger child is only 8 and these game cartridges are really small. They'd be easy to lose. The consoles don't get lost.

It's an internal debate I've been having. Very timely question!

i love physical but digital is convenient so i buy them too sometimes cause im too lazy ahah

I always buy physical copies. One of my friends had me on about it saying it's a portable console so why buy not-so-portable games? :p But I like looking at a physical collection of games, and the feeling of putting in a physical cartridge makes me feel good. Plus you can usually get physical copies much cheaper, especially if you buy secondhand.

I mostly buy physical copies due to always being by the gamestore with money on me. I sometimes buy digital if I can't buy it at stores if I can't find the exact game I want.

Back